By Hilary Akalugwu
Enugu State Police Command confirmed Tuesday’s attack on Ogboro-Eke-Abugu village, Ibagwa-Ani, Nsukka local government area, by gunmen.
The command’s public relations officer, Mr. Daniel Ndukwe, told the Nigerian News Agency (NAN) in Nsukka on
On Wednesday the gunmen killed a James Ugwu in the attack.
Ndukwe said the attackers also attacked Ugwu’s wife and another person before fleeing the area.
He said the police commissioner, Mr. Mohammed Aliyu, had led large-scale investigations to uncover the brains behind the attack and get them to book.
“He is begging people in the community to stay calm and help the police with their investigation.
“He also urged them to avoid doing anything that might break the peace,” Ndukwe said.
Recounting the incident, an eyewitness, who pledged anonymity, said the gunmen, who numbered four, stormed the village at around 9 p.m.
He said the bandits shot Ugwu in his house and also shot his wife in the leg and another person in the stomach as they escaped.
“The sound of gunshots and screams from Ugwu’s family members attracted neighbors and other villagers.
“But before the natives could reach the scene, the armed men had escaped into the bush,” added the eyewitness.
A lawmaker from the region, Dr Emma Ugwuerua, representing the constituency of Nsukka-West in the State House of Assembly, expressed regret over the incident.
“Yes, there was an attack by unidentified armed men in Ibagwa-Ani on Tuesday evening.
“I cannot give more details as we are already in a meeting on the matter,” Ugwuerua said.
The commander of the Nsukka police zone, Mr. Hassan Yahaya, said he had already visited the scene of the attack.
“I strengthened security in the affected village by deploying enough police in the area to dispel fear and panic among the residents,” he said. (NOPE)
Short Link: https://wp.me/pcj2iU-3yP8
- 16,000 jobs’ll be created when National Theatre’s renovation is completed – Official
- Gen. Joshua Dogonyaro, ex-CDS dies at 80 Death
- Coronavirus – Eritrea: Ministry of Health announcement (May 12, 2021)
- New board will run the National Theatre after renovations – GM
- Ogun Govt. restates commitment to quality health care
- Eid-el-Fitr: Ganduje urges Muslims to pray for peace
- Coronavirus – Nigeria: COVID-19 case update (May 12, 2021)
- Eid-el-Fitr: Orji Kalu advocates national cohesion
- Expert wants greater investment in food security