By Christian Ogbonna
The Ebonyi Police Command said on Wednesday it had arrested the alleged murderer of Chukwudi Chukwu, 29, during a vigil in Okposi, in the Ohaozara local government area of Ebonyi.
State Police Public Relations Officer DSP Loveth Oda told reporters in Abakiliki that the suspect, who claimed to be a vigilante, was a fake.
According to Odah, investigations reveal that he is not a vigilante in Okposi.
“He could not explain the source of a locally made double barreled pistol, which he allegedly used to commit the crime,” she said.
The command spokesperson further said plans had been made to bring him to justice.
She urged community leaders to always report anyone found in illegal possession of firearms to the police.
A friend of the deceased, Mr. Innocent Ezeogo, who is believed to have accompanied him to the vigil, said he was preparing to be married on May 1.
“I am his friend, we attended a vigil in the village of Nediokpa in Okposi when an armed man, identified as Hosanna Aju, opened fire on him.
“The gunman approached us shortly after we arrived at the scene and insisted on firing a shot in our midst.
“We protested against this decision and when we got up to leave the scene, the shooter shot my friend,” Ezeogo said.
The deceased’s fiancée, Juliana, said she was still in shock over the incident.
“I did my best to prevent him from attending the vigil, but to no avail.
“We have to celebrate our wedding on May 1, but look at me. I am devastated, ”she said.
Short Link: https://wp.me/pcj2iU-3z3D
- INEC engages stakeholders on polling points’ conversion in Oyo
- Opening remarks by the WHO Director-General at the high-level emergency virtual meeting of African ministers of health on the COVID-19 situation in Africa
- Coronavirus – Zimbabwe: COVID-19 update (May 7, 2021)
- Ramadan: RMAFC Chairman Mbam urges Nigerians to be tolerant, brothers’ keepers
- B-roll: African rugby teams meet to prepare for the Olympics and Olympic draft – Day 1
- Troops foil kidnap attempt, kill 1 bandit in Kaduna
- D’banj leads Nigeria to Motorsport Championships
- Super league – FIFA chief Infantino: “We need to face the problems in football together”
- Forum tasks FG on MSMEs growth