The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the PPMC, a subsidiary of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporations (NNPC), had on Wednesday announced a new ex-depot price of N151.56k for PMS, also known as petrol.
A NAN correspondent who monitored the development in Ikeja, Agege, Maryland, Egbeda and Iyana Ipaja axis of the state, observed that some major marketers were selling fuel at N161 per litre.
However, some filling stations owned by Independent marketers dispensed the product at between N162 and N164 per litre, depending on their location.
A vehicle owner, Mr Victor Olaniyi, told NAN that the increment caught him unawares and had left him frustrated.
He said: “I usually fill my tank once a week and I was supposed to fill it on Tuesday but I was unable to and I had to buy fuel at N162 today.
“I believe the increment is much, because last week I bought fuel at N148 per litre. Government should please look into this because it will affect everybody,” he said.
Another motorist, Mr Taiwo Balogun, said as a private cab operator, he increased his fares to meet with realities in the country.
He said he usually picked people from Ikeja to G.R.A for N150 but increased the fare to N200 per passenger due to the fuel increment.
A businesswoman, Ms Joy Ibe said she paid N500 from Iyana Ipaja to Oshodi, a journey that usually cost between N300 to N400 depending on the time of the day.
“My fear about the fuel increment was that bus drivers would take advantage of it to hike fares and that is what they have done.
“This is going to affect the cost of goods and services, unless something is done quickly,” she said.
Another commuter, Mr Michael Bamidele, said his plan was to commute with the BRT buses because they were cheaper than the commercial ones.
“The queue is now very long because everybody prefers waiting than being exploited by the commercial buses,” he explained.
NAN reports that the oil marketers had attributed the increment of the ex-depot price from N138.62k in August to N151.56k in September to market forces due to the deregulation of PMS by the government.
Edited By: Ifeyinwa Okonkwo (NAN)
8 burnt to death in Lagos-Ibadan expressway accident
Eight persons were on Saturday night burnt to death in a lone accident involving a Mazda bus on the Lagos-Ibadan expressway.
Mr Ahmed Umar, the Sector Commander of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), disclosed this to the News Agency of Nigeria in Abeokuta on Sunday.
Umar explained that the accident, which occurred at about 8:45 p.m. near Saapade bridge, was caused by tyre burst.
This, he said, resulted in the bus summersaulting and bursting into flames.
The sector commander added that 11 people were involved in the accident made up of three male adults, one female adult, one child and six unidentified persons.
“The suspected cause of the lone accident involving the Mazda bus marked AAA 249 VX was tyre burst which led to loss of control before crash and bursting into flames immediately,” he said.
He said that FRSC operatives contacted the Sagamu Fire Service immediately for a joint rescue operation.
Umar said that three injured victims were taken to Idera Hospital, Sagamu, for medical attention while the Health Department of Remo North Local Government Area was contacted on the burnt victims.
He advised motorists to drive cautiously, obey traffic rules and regulations and ensure that their tyres were in good condition.
Edited By: Mufutau Ojo)
Newborn safely delivered under Ajah bridge
The Lagos State Emergency Managment Agency (LASEMA) has said that its ambulance team at Eti-osa delivered Ms Blessing Emmanuel, a 35 year-old woman of a live male baby.
Dr Olufemi Damilola Oke-Osanyintolu,
LASEMA, told Newsmen on Saturday that the baby was delivered at about 4:30 p.m under the Ajah Bridge.
”The lady, who has no home nor family in Lagos, is from Cross River State.
”Mother and baby are fine and have been taken to Island Maternity where they will get expert care,” Oke-Osanyintolu said.
Edited By: Ifeyinwa Omowole
NCDC records 189 new COVID-19 cases, total now 57,145
The NCDC made this known on its official twitter handle on Saturday.
“As at Sept. 19, 2020, 189 new confirmed cases and one death was recorded in Nigeria.
“Till date, 57,145 cases have been confirmed, 48,431 cases have been discharged and 1,095 deaths have been recorded in 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory,” it said.
The agency stated that the 189 new infections were reported from 15 states of the federation.
“Lagos (70), Plateau (37), FCT (24), Kaduna (19), Rivers (12), Oyo (5), Ogun (4), Ebonyi (3), Katsina (3), Ondo (3), Osun (3), Imo (2), Yobe (2), Ekiti (1), Nasarawa (1),” it said.
The agency said that cloth masks provide protection when properly worn and cared for.
“Wear mask covering your nose and mouth, handle mask with clean hands and wash cloth face masks after each use.
“MaskOnNaija with other preventive measures. Learn how to make your own face mask: covid19.ncdc.gov.ng/media/files/DI… ,” it advised.
“TakeResponsibility and adhere to all non pharmaceutical preventive measures of COVID-19 if you must travel,“ it said.
Edited By: Tayo Ikujini/Sadiya Hamza
COVID-19: Lagos govt reopens cinemas, gyms
The Lagos State Government on Saturday permitted the reopening of cinemas and gyms, with a maximum of 33 per cent occupancy.
Gov. Babajide Sanwo-Olu said this during the 18th update on the management of coronavirus in the state.
Sanwo-Olu said that in October, the state government would announce the decisions regarding the reopening of other sectors of the economy.
”Dear Lagosians, henceforth, cinemas and gyms are permitted to reopen as soon as possible, with a maximum of 33 per cent occupancy.
”This means that there must be a minimum of two empty seats between occupied seats; and in the case of gyms, there must be constant disinfection of machines and equipment throughout the course of the day.
”Next month, October, we will announce the decisions regarding the reopening of other sectors of the economy: night-clubs, bars, event centres, spas, public parks and so on.
”For now, these will continue to remain closed, until fixed plans for reopening are announced in October 2020,” he said.
Accordings to him, places of worship are also permitted, while the mosques to resume their five times a day prayers; the churches are permitted to resume their mid-week services.
”We must not forget that the coronavirus pandemic is still very much with us, and we must therefore strive to prioritise the safety of all our children, teachers, parents, and the entire society.
”All of these resumption guidelines and protocols must be strictly adhered to by the various stakeholders,” he said.
Sanwo-Olu said that the state government was committed to continuing the maintenance of a balance between the safety of lives and the sustenance of livelihoods.
He said that the state would continue to make adjustments as required, but the gradual resumption of social, educational and economic activities must never be taken as an excuse to let down the guard against the pandemic.
According to him, some parts of the world are seeing a resurgence of infections, and rising possibilities of the kind of hard lockdowns being experienced a few months ago.
”Let me make it clear that if we do not continue to maintain our guard, and sustain the adherence to all required protocols and guidelines, we will find ourselves in a situation where fresh lockdowns are inevitable.
”The only way to avoid this is to continue to act responsibly: maintain the required levels of hygiene, through regular handwashing and use of sanitisers, wear masks in all public places, avoid non-essential public gatherings, and maintain the prescribed levels of physical distancing at all times,” Sanwo-Olu said.
Edited By: Tayo Ikujuni/Wale Ojetimi