By Ibrahim Kado
Gombe, Jan. 10, 2019 (NNN) The Nigeria Union of Pensioners (NUP), Gombe State Chapter, on Thursday appealed to the state government to settle the backlog of gratuities of its members before May 29, to ameliorate their sufferings.
Alhaji Mohammed Abubakar, the state Chairman of the union, made the appeal in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NNN) in Gombe.
He said that a lot of civil servants, who had retired for the past five years in the state, were yet to be paid their pensions and gratuities.
He said: “So many people are waiting for their gratuities for 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, and in 2019, people are still retiring.
“We understand that the Federal Government has released some money, especially through the Paris Club refund, while the Bauchi State Government has released billions of naira for payment of pensioners and gratuities.”
Abubakar urged Gov. Ibrahim Dankwambo-led government, which comes to an end in May, to settle the backlog of pensioners’ gratuities, to ameliorate their sufferings.
He advised union members to continue to pray to God for divine intervention, to ensure prompt payment of their pensions and gratuities. (NNN)
Edited by Folorunso Poroye/Felix Ajide
- Ten takeaways from State Visit to Portugal: Two Nations and the will for strategic partnership – Garba Shehu
- 2023: NYSC advises corps members to comply with rules of elections
- I’ll provide leadership for medical community, says NMA FCT Chairmanship aspirant
- Police arrest 3 suspects for alleged rape, forceful initiation of girl into cult group
- Communiqué of the Chairperson of the African Union Commission on the Situation in Libya
- Retirement: Staff, friends of National Hospital Abuja laud outgoing CMD
- UNICEF applauds release of over 50 abducted children in Ondo
- Security consultant advises Nigerians to know their neighbours
- MSF calls for urgent humanitarian response in Borno
- World Sports Press Day 2022: Message from the President of ANOCA
- Financial experts attribute decline in living standards to high inflation rate
- UFC: Sunday Dare Congratulates Israel Adesanya on Another Successful Title Defence
- Appeal Court fixes July 5 for judgment in Abuja land dispute matter
- Hundreds of anti-coup protesters in Sudan defy security forces
- NAFDAC shuts 10 water factories in Ondo
- 2023: Group drums support for Obi, urges people to get PVC
- Taraba Govt. begins sensitisation of community to privitisation of highland tea
- Bible Society honours Awolowo-Dosumu, Maiden Alex-Ibru, others
- NYSC condemns alleged electoral misconduct involving corps member in Osun
- NSE to partner stakeholders in replacing manhole covers, other projects