An army spokesman said in a statement that the body of Tiran Fero, a 17-year-old boy who was part of Israel’s Druze Arab minority, had been transferred to his family in Israel.
The move followed “the efforts of the security forces and in coordination with the Palestinian security forces and authorities,” the statement read.
Husam Fero, Tiran’s father, told N12 TV News that his son went with his cousin to a car workshop in Jenin, a critical city in the northern West Bank on Tuesday. The two were in a car accident and were rushed to a local hospital.
Israeli Defense Minister Benny Gantz thanked the Palestinian Authority “for taking steps” to return Fero, saying “this is a basic humanitarian step taken after a horrible incident.”
Since March, Israeli forces have carried out frequent nightly raids in the West Bank, often sparking clashes that have cost the lives of at least 130 Palestinians.
Israel says the raids are aimed at arresting suspects in connection with a series of attacks against Israelis, which killed 29 people.
In the 1967 Middle East war, Israel occupied the West Bank, the Gaza Strip and East Jerusalem, all claimed by the Palestinians, and has controlled or blockaded these areas ever since. ■