OPEC categorially rejects the narrative that the energy transition is from hydrocarbons to renewables
BRAZZAVILLE, Congo (Republic of the), August 24, 2021/APO Group/ —
H.E. Mohammed Barkindo, Secretary General of the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) has urged African oil-producing countries to continue developing their energy sector activities and reassured that OPEC will continue to serve as a viable partner and “assist [them] in whatever way possible.”
Speaking during a meeting at the Republic of the Congo’s National Oil Company, Société nationale des pétroles du Congo (SNPC), as part of a historic three day OPEC and African Energy Chamber delegation to the country on Monday, he highlighted the role of oil and gas in the development of Africa’s energy industry, as well as global energy security. H.E. Barkindo further pointed out that while improvements in renewable energy technologies have been made, the oil and gas industry remains the primary road out of widespread energy and economic deprivation.
“OPEC categorially rejects the narrative that the energy transition is from hydrocarbons to renewables,” said H.E. Barkindo, adding that “all sources of energy are required today in order to meet the challenges of climate change and the future demand for energy.”
Given that the global population is said to increase by 1.7 billion people by 2045 with the majority coming from Africa, it remains crucial that countries like the Congo strengthen their energy industries to respond efficiently to current and future challenges. Congo’s efforts to boost its oil and gas sector, as well as SNCP’s activities have been praised by the Secretary General.
ECP (https://bit.ly/3sIWo8q) is live covering AEC’s and OPEC’s historic visit to the Republic of Congo as it launches it’s own initiatives to promote the country’s energy sector.
Short Link: https://wp.me/pcj2iU-3BJ7
- How seamless payment experiences make retail brands more valuable and relevant (By Gilbert Lungu)
- Binance To Host Its First Offline Event In Cameroon
- Coronavirus – Uganda: Tackle the misinformation about Covid-19 Vaccination in Acholi
- Nigerian Air Force’s Super Tucano jet destroy ISWAP armoury, training bases in Lake Chad
- Deputy Chief Maybury Supports the 16 Days Campaign and World AIDS Day on ELBC Radio
- Akeredolu won’t allow workers enjoy Christmas – Ondo PDP Alleges
- Bill to regulate administration of sports mooted
- Compact: African Development Bank and IFC Partner to Advance Economic Development in Lusophone African countries
- Lagos govt explains why Nigerian Army intervened during EndSARS protests
- N15 bn cocoa processing plant begins operation in Ondo
- Fighting against drought-induced hunger: FAO provides rural households in Somalia with cash livestock and agricultural support
- ABU, CBN develop national farmers’ database
- Nigerian Navy arrests 5 stowaways at Lagos anchorage
- Woodside Energy Confirms Participation at MSGBC Oil, Gas & Power 2021
- After media reports, Kano govt unseals chamber of lawyer who secures victory against Ganduje-led APC