Defender Kenneth Omeruo and forward Moses Simon were among the early arrivals at the Super Eagles’ Hotel die Zeit an der Glan camp in Carinthia, Austria on Monday morning.
These are forwards Samuel Kalu and Chidera Ejuke, defender Leon Balogun and goalkeeper Mathew Yakubu.
Hours later, England-based defenders William Troost-Ekong, Oluwasemilogo Ajayi and Olaoluwa Aina, as well as forward Kelechi Iheanacho, landed in Austria.
Right behind them were goalkeeper Dele Alampasu, defender Jamilu Collins, midfielder Frank Onyeka and forwards Cyril Dessers and Alex Iwobi.
The other invited players were being expected in camp by Monday night.
Olajire also disclosed that former Germany under-20 captain Kevin Akpoguma has arrived at the team’s hotel in Austria “to familiarise himself with the Nigeria set-up and bond with the other players’’.
Akpoguma’s arrival is ahead of the imminent approval of his international switch to the Super Eagles.
Three-times African champions Nigeria file out against Algeria at the Jacques Lemans Arena on Friday before taking on 2004 African champions Tunisia at the same venue on Oct. 13.
Already, team head coach Gernot Rohr is sure to have to do without three of his initial call-ups.
Turkey-based midfielder Oghenekaro Etebo suffered a knock on Sunday, while Wilfred Ndidi was earlier ruled out by injury.
Permission has also been granted Italy-based forward Victor Osimhen to sit out the matches.
It is the first gathering of the Super Eagles this year, with the coronavirus pandemic shutting down football globally since the month of March.
Match organisers Eurodata Sport has clarified that no fan will be allowed inside the stadium for any of the two matches, in conformity with extant protocols on the coronavirus pandemic.
Both matches will kick off at 8:30 p.m. Austria time (9:30 p.m Nigeria time).
Olaoluwa Aina (Fulham FC, England); Jamilu Collins (SC Padeborn 07, Germany); Oluwasemilogo Ajayi (West Bromwich Albion, England); Zaidu Sanusi (FC Porto, Portugal)
Edited By: Olawale Alabi)
Short Link: https://wp.me/pcj2iU-3v1H
- 16,000 jobs’ll be created when National Theatre’s renovation is completed – Official
- Gen. Joshua Dogonyaro, ex-CDS dies at 80 Death
- Coronavirus – Eritrea: Ministry of Health announcement (May 12, 2021)
- New board will run the National Theatre after renovations – GM
- Ogun Govt. restates commitment to quality health care
- Eid-el-Fitr: Ganduje urges Muslims to pray for peace
- Coronavirus – Nigeria: COVID-19 case update (May 12, 2021)
- Eid-el-Fitr: Orji Kalu advocates national cohesion
- Expert wants greater investment in food security