Obaseki harps on measures to check tobacco consumption
NNN: Gov. Godwin Obaseki of Edo has called for an effective policy framework to check tobacco consumption and reduce the risks of cardiovascular diseases in the country.
The governor made the call in a message to commemorate the `World No Tobacco Day’ marked by the World Health Organisation (WHO) and other agencies of the United Nations, which is usually celebrated on May 31.
The day is to raise awareness and check the consumption of tobacco.
In a statement issued by the Special Adviser to the governor on Media and Communication Strategy, Crusoe Osagie, on Thursday, the governor called for more awareness and sensitisation in the country on the dangers of tobacco consumption.
“As a government, we will continue to support policies to check the increase in cardiovascular diseases associated with the consumption of tobacco.”
“Through the Edo Healthcare Improvement Programme (Edo-HIP), the proposed health insurance scheme and other health interventions will assist in providing access to quality and affordable healthcare services,’’ the governor said.
He said that this year’s theme for the commemoration, “Tobacco and Lung Health,’’ calls for urgent measures to interrogate the implications of tobacco use and cardiovascular conditions.
According to the World Health Organisation, the focus of the World No Tobacco Day 2019 is on tobacco and lung health.
The campaign will increase awareness on the negative impact that tobacco has on people’s lung health, from cancer to chronic respiratory disease, and the fundamental role lungs play for the health and well-being of all people.
- West Africa and the MSGBC Region Showcase a Hive of Exploration Activities
- NSITF to collaborate ILO to regulate COVID-19 claims, compensations
- NGO tasks media on championing basic education rights in Kaduna
- 2023 budget: Kaduna State Govt will adhere to MTEF recommendation – Perm. Sec.
- WAFCON 2022: Our sight remains on the trophy, Falcons
- Ericsson invites participants to ‘Together Apart Hackathon’ to boost innovation in Nigeria
- Eid-el-Kabir: FRSC deploys 36,000 personnel, 750 patrol vehicles, ambulances
- OPEC Secretary-General, Barkindo dies at 63
- Banditry: Matawalle security agencies of his total support
- Gunmen attack Kuje Custodial Centre in Abuja
- Enugu govt. appoints Ihuoma Eze, acting coordinator of APPEALS World Bank project
- Roadmap for new NNPC hinges on PIA – Okadigbo
- Sallah: Presidency condemn attack on President Buhari’s advance team in Katsina
- My alleged suspension over alleged financial impropriety a huge joke-PDP chairman
- We must appreciate our history to develop as a nation – History Teacher
- Bandits burn down 2 health centres, shut 69 others in Katsina— official
- Police confirm killing of area commander by bandits in Katsina
- UN chief welcomes ECOWAS resolutions on Mali, commends Goodluck Jonathan
- NAOWA gifts food items, medicine, others to widows of fallen soldiers in Imo
- PDP’ll participate in Ebonyi July LG polls- Party Chairman