By Usman Aliyu
Mr Musa Ebomhiana, project manager, media and communications, Edo Games subcommittee, said seven athletes from the ongoing 20th National Sports Festival (NSF) in Benin have tested positive for COVID-19 .
Ebomhiana confirmed this in an interview with the Nigerian News Agency (NAN) in Benin on Monday.
He said the infected athletes had been quarantined at the Stella Obasanjo isolation center in Benin.
According to him, the athletes concerned are from different states of the federation and have been disqualified from the festival.
He noted, however, that the development was good compared to the large number of athletes and officials participating in the national sports fiesta.
“But it’s good for the number of athletes and officials.
“It shows that the country is trying to flatter the cause of COVID-19,” he said.
The spokesperson for the games, tagged Edo 2020, also clarified that only contingents from Oyo State were readmitted to the games after the completion of COVID-19 testing.
“Taraba is still on hold as they have to undergo testing for their athletes and officials.
“But Oyo finished his test and they were re-admitted into the games.”
Regarding the number of participating states, Ebomhiana confirmed that 25 states have so far arrived for the games.
“You know they keep coming; there is no end to it.
“Some will want to get to the end; some will miss major events, that’s how they want to.
“Like yesterday, we have 25 states on the ground,” he said.
The Edo 2020 official, however, said everything was set for the games to officially open on Tuesday.
“The preparation for the official opening ceremony tomorrow is at the top.
“Go to the main bowl and see what happens there.”
“The arrangement is great, we are ready. We are more than prepared, the vice-president will be here around noon tomorrow, ”he said. (NOPE)
Short Link: https://wp.me/pcj2iU-3yCp
- $540bn remittance flow reaches low-and-middle-income countries in 2020- WB
- Arsenal dent Chelsea’s Champions League push
- Kalu salutes Ekweremadu at 59
- NECO: 115 inmates credit English, Maths in Enugu
- Infinix Releases Award Winning NOTE 10 Pro Series Powerful Performance. Iconic design
- Eid-el-fitr: Yahaya Bello calls for national integration
- Eid el-Fitr; Atiku wants Nigerians reflect on peace, unity
- Osinbajo graces Museveni’s inauguration in Kampala
- Managing mental health conditions among army officers