The Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) has intervened to resolve the clash between farmers in Ebenebe Community, Awka North Local Government Area and cattle herders.
The meeting between Mr David Bille, the Commandant of NSCDC Anambra, alongside the State Cattle Menace Control Committee (CMCC) and the Ebene community was to find lasting solution to the farmers/herders clash.
Assistant Commander Edwin Okadigbo, the Public Relations Officer of NSCDC in Anambra, on Thursday said there had been a lingering crisis between the farmers and cattle rearers in the agrarian community due to irreconcilable differences.
Okadigbo in the statement said the commandant had visited the affected areas to access the level of damage and also to caution the parties against further attack on each other.
He urged the people to remain calm, adding that security measures had been put in place for 24 hour surveillance of the community.
“It could be recalled that some days ago, due to irreconcilable differences, cattle rearers and farmers had conflict before the security agencies restored normalcy to the area.
The State Commandant with other members of the State Cattle Menace Control Committee visited the troubled area in Ebenebe to assess the level of damage and to caution both parties to refrain from any reprisal attacks.
“Security agencies have been stationed to maintain law and order while investigation is ongoing to find immediate and remote causes of the crisis.
We appealed to both side to maintain status quo pending the resolution of the crisis and assured the farmers and the Cattle rearers not to panic.
Everybody should continue their lawful business as security agencies have been mobilised to maintain 24 hours surveillance within and around Ebenebe Community,” he said.
Okadigbo said members of the Anambra CMCC included Commissioner of Police, the Commander 302 Nigerian Army Artillery Regiment, Onitsha, Director Department of State Services, traditional rulers and representatives of Miyetti Allah.
Edited by: Ismail Abdulaziz
NSCDC arrests 19 suspected rapists in Kaduna
The Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) Kaduna State Command, says it has arrested 19 suspected rapists in the state between August and September .
The Command Public Relations Officer, ASC Orndiir Terzungwe, made the disclosure in a media briefing at the command’s headquarters on Friday in Kaduna.
The suspects were arrested for alleged defiling and raping minors.
Terzungwe said, “in a bid to control increasing incidences of child defilement and rape, we in the NSCDC, Kaduna state command, have arrested no fewer than 19 suspected rapists from August to date.
“You may wish to note that our command which always seeks for support and collaboration from the public, is overwhelmingly grateful due to the positive responses so far.
“In view of the support received, we are gathered here at this moment to showcase the result of our collaboration with the good and law abiding people of the state and to seek for more.”
He said some of the rape cases were brought to the attention of the corps by the Ministry of Human Services, Civil Society Organisations, Kaduna Vigilance Service and individuals.
“Unfortunately, all of these cases involve minors who became victims of randy suspects,” he said.
According to him, results of some tests carried out on some victims at the Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC) have revealed complications due to the dastardly acts.
He explained that 18 of the cases are in court, with high tendency that the suspects would be eventually convicted.
Terzungwe added that the remaining case was being investigated and the suspect would be charged to court after completion of the investigation.
“It is worrisome that despite legislative measures put in place by the state government to punish perpetrators of this evil act, many people still indulge in it.
“We in the corps are highly displeased with rising incidences of child defilement and rape in the state and will do everything legally possible to control same.
“It is hoped that as we remain resilient in discharging our duties to control this menace and other crimes, we will record high successes, especially with the recent approval of castration and Bilateral Salpingectomy for male and females respectively and death by the state assembly,” he said.
Terzungwe urged people of the state to continue with their support, in order to end all forms of criminality including banditry and kidnapping.
Edited By: Chioma Ugboma/ Maharazu Ahmed
Edo Election: NSCDC deploys 13, 311 personnel for security operations
The Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), says no fewer than 13, 311 of its personnel from across 10 states were deployed to Edo for Saturday governorship election.
Deputy Commandant General (DCG), Madu Kelechi, in charge of operations disclosed this in Benin on Friday while briefing newsmen on the corps preparedness for the Edo election.
Madu said that of the figure, about 7,331 personnel would be fully involved in the election while the others would be posted to protect critical national assets and infrastructure across the state.
He explained that the core mandate of the NSCDC was disaster management and the protection of critical national assets and infrastructure.
He added that the corps could not afford to leave the critical national assets in the state vulnerable to saboteurs because of the election, hence the deployment of some personnel to man the assets.
The DCG further disclosed that the corps would be working in synergy with the police as the lead security agency for the election as well as other sister security agencies.
He maintained that the corps was prepared, adding that after the preparation, some personnel like those from the counter terrorism and the intelligence units were deployed upfront for the election.
He also said that the personnel deployed have been trained at the corps headquarters in Abuja as well as by the NCDC on what to do as the election would be conducted in line with the COVID-19 principles.
He further said that the corps had sensitised the personnel on behavior as well as how to handle situation especially vote buying.
Madu listed the states from which the personnel were drawn from to include Edo, Delta, Bayelsa, Anambra, Kogi, Imo, Ondo, Ogun, Lagos and Ekiti.
Edited By: Abiemwense Moru/Ismail Abdulaziz
Military destroys illegal refineries, recovers stolen crude
The Defence Headquarters says military has intensified its aggressive fight against crude oil theft, pipeline vandalism, bunkering, economic saboteurs and other criminal activities in the country.
The Coordinator, Defence Media Operations, Maj.-Gen. John Enenche, said this while giving weekly update on the operations of Armed Forces of Nigeria on Friday in Abuja.
Enenche said that between Sept. 12 and Sept. 17 , the military arrested seven suspected oil thieves, discovered barrels of stolen crude oil and destroyed numbers of illegal refineries in the South- South and South West zones.
According to him, within the period under review, Nigerian Navy Ship PATHFINDER patrol team in the South South located and immobilised an illegal refining site at Mudukiri Creek, Degema Local Government Area of Rivers.
“The site had a metal reservoir laden with an estimated 150,000 litres of illegally refined AGO.
“The team discovered eight metal storage tanks and four dugout pits laden with about 1,289.45 barrels of product suspected to be stolen crude oil,”he said.
He said that Nigerian Navy Ship JUBILEE clearance operation team acting on credible intelligence on a suspected pirates and sea robber’s camp at Otoyo, Akwa-Ibom, raided the camp.
He said that the patrol team with superior power dislodged and deactivated the camp in the area.
“The team recovered one AK 47 rifle with two magazines, two Pump Action Rifles, 20 rounds of 7.62 and 39mm ammunition, one Fishing Gun, one Tecno phone, a bag of hard drugs, one diving face mask and one hand held metal detector.
“ Between Sept. 12 and Sept. 17, Forward Operating Base IBAKA patrol team around Utan Inyata Creek arrested two suspects and two small-sized wooden boats laden with 165 bags of 50kg of foreign parboiled rice suspected to be smuggled from the Republic of Cameroon,”he said.
“The suspects and items are currently in custody and will be handed over to NSCDC Uyo Command for further necessary action,” he said.
He explained that Troops of Operation AWATSE in the South West zone, also intensified the fight against pipeline vandals, economic saboteurs and other criminal elements in the area.
He recalled that the vessel and her crew members were arrested on July 31 for sailing without obtaining requisite documents.
“Troops have continued to dominate the general area with clearance and aggressive patrols while maintaining surveillance to rid the area of pipeline vandals and other economic saboteurs,” he said.
He expressed the Military High Command commendation to all the gallant troops of the Armed Forces and personnel of other security agencies involved in various operations across the country for their commitment, determination and dedication.
He encouraged the troops to remain firm and decisive in curtailing the activities of all criminal elements in the country.
“Members of the general public are hereby assured that the Armed Forces of Nigeria working with other security agencies will continue to tackle the security challenges and will ensure that normalcy is attained in all the geo-political zones of the Country.
He, therefore, solicited for the support of the public in providing credible information to assist the military’s operations,
Edited By: Sadiya Hamza
Flood threatening flood production in Nigeria – NEMA DG
Muhammadu Mohammed, Director General, National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), has expressed concern over continuous flood in the country, which is threatening food security.
He made this known while addressing stakeholders at a flood advocacy visit to Kaduna State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA) on Thursday.
Accordung to him, the meeting was necessary to asertain the level of preparedness of the state to disaster management.
Represented by Abdulahi Usur, Assistant director, Research and Forecasting of the agency, Mohammed said the annual occurrences of flood have continued to threaten the country’s food potentials.
“We are here on an advocacy visit on the 2020 flood. Kaduna State is known to be one of the major food producers in the country with the citizens largely
engaged in farming activities.
“This year, the highly probable flood risk areas in Kaduna State are Soba, Kubau, Jema’a, Kachia, Igabi, Kaduna South, Kaduna North and Chikun local government areas.
“Though climate change has been largely blamed for this increasing phenomenon, it is our responsibility as government and people to evolve strategies to minimize losses through adherence to warning alerts, early preparation and proper responses.
“Therefore, it is imperative to activate all plans and measures against the prediction as the season moves towards the peak,” he said.
He said that the agency had made preparations ahead of flooding this year, which included sensitization of its stakeholders.
Sunday Awulu, State Secretary Nigerian Red Cross, Kaduna, assured the DG that stakholders would not work in isolation, but as a team to tackle disasters.
He commended the meeting saying “meetings like this bring stakeholders together, help them to know each other better to further collaborate.”
Present at the meeting were officials of Federal Fire Service, Red Cross, NSCDC, Police, SEMA, Army, National Orientation Agency (NOA), NIWA, FRSC, KEPA, Ministry of Education, Ministry of Agriculture and CSOs.
Edited By: Maharazu Ahmed