North Korean nuclear envoy reported executed is alive: South Korea legislator
The lawmaker did not elaborate on Kim Hyok Chol’s situation.
South Korea’s Chosun Ilbo newspaper said in June that Kim Hyok Chol had been executed in March, but CNN quickly refuted the report, saying he was alive and in state custody.
Chosun Ilbo also reported that another senior official, who was instrumental in preparing the failed summit with the U.S., Kim Yong Chol, had been sent to a labor and re-education camp.
But a few days, later Kim Yong Chol appeared in a state media photograph with leader Kim Jong Un.https://nnn.ng/north-korean-nuclear-envoy-reported-executed-is-alive-south-korea-legislator/
APC says no anointed aspirants for forthcoming legislative by-elections
The All Progressives Congress (APC), says there will be no anointed aspirant for the forthcoming Legislative By-Elections slated for Sept. 3.
Mr Yekini Nabena, the party’s Deputy National Publicity Secretary, said this in a statement on Tuesday in Abuja.
He added that the party had cleared all aspirants to contest the Sept. 3, primary election after proper screening.
The election is to elect APC candidates for the Oct. 31, concurrent legislative by-elections scheduled to be conducted in some constituencies across eight states of the federation.
The states include: Bayelsa, Borno, Cross River, Imo, Lagos, Plateau, Zamfara and Kogi.
“There are no preferred, pre-determined or anointed aspirants,” Nabena said.
He added that the clarification became necessary following a statement by an APC chieftain, Mr Okoi Obono-Obla.
Obono-Obla had alleged that the party’s leadership was attempting to “foist” a predetermined candidate on the people in the forthcoming Cross River North Senatorial District by-election.
Nabena assured that the Gov. Mai Mala Buni-led APC caretaker committee was already moving in a new and progressive direction where things were done properly and internal democracy was the norm.
He said the party would continue to give aspirants a level playing field, stressing that only those with impeccable records and were popularly elected were being presented as APC candidates in all elections.
Thereafter, the party official gave the list of cleared aspirants as issued by the party as:
1. Ifeanyi Godwin Ararume
2. Hon. Matthew Omegara
3. Achonu Athanasius Nneji
4. Uchendu Maric Chijioke
5. Ibezim Chukwuma Frank
6. Uwajumogu Edith Chidinma
7. Uchenna Onyeiwu Ubah
8. Okoro Eze Joachim
9. Nwachukwu Bright Uchenna
10. Onuoha Chikwem Chijioke
11. Ihim Iheanacho (Acho) Celestine
1. Ochicha Odey Anthony
2. Joe Odey Anthony, SAN
3. Harry Godwin Odey
4. Prof. Zana Itiunbe Akpagu
5. Fidelis Ebi Egoro
1. Dr. Agbor Godwin Adase
1. Capt. Matthew Karimo
2. Hon. Omonikeke Kemelayefa
3. Ebebi Peremobowei
1. Barr. Festus Dauniebi Sunday
2. Abel Ebifemowei
3. Timipa Tiwei Orunimigbe
4. Hon. Henry Daniel Ofongo
5. Godknows Bolaji Igali
1. Prof. Doknan Danjuma Sheni
2. Nanvel Nimfel
3. Prof. Emmanuel Joseph Daniyang
4. Nora Ladi Daduut
5. Damian Dongnaán Shekarau
1. Saheed Wasiu Obafemi
1. Mukhail Adetokunbo Adiru
1. Mohammed Ali Gajiradi
1. Maigari M. Abare
1. Hon. Bello Dankande Gamji
2. Lawali Isa
3. Saídu Dan Bala
4. Sani Mohammed Yar’kofogi
1. Mathew Omachonu Eguche
2. Patrick Obwu Abah
3. Joseph Enemona
4. Jerry Omaiwala
5. Moses Emmanuel Commander
6. Atule Egbunu
7. Ogwu Harry Uba.
Edited By: Chioma Ugboma/Donald Ugwu (NAN)https://nnn.ng/apc-says-no-anointed-aspirants-for-forthcoming-legislative-by-elections/
North-south joint liaison office ruined
The north-south joint liaison office located in the bordering Kaesong Industrial Zone was completely destroyed, the official Korean Central News Agency of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) reported on Tuesday.
At 2:50 p.m. local time (0550 GMT), the liaison office was tragically ruined with a terrific explosion, it said.
The report also said completely destroying the north-south joint liaison office was “corresponding to the mindset of the enraged people to surely force human scum and those, who have sheltered the scum, to pay dearly for their crimes.”
The development is an apparent follow-up move by the DPRK after its top officials recently threatened to shut down the inter-Korean liaison office or even withdraw from the military cooperation agreement signed in 2018 in protest against anti-DPRK propaganda leaflets that defectors from the north fly across the border.
COVID-19: NHF earmarks $22.4m for North East in 2020
The Nigeria Humanitarian Fund (NHF) has announced a 22.4 million dollars funding for 2020 to address increased vulnerability of people affected by both COVID-19 pandemic and insurgency in Borno, Adamawa and Yobe.
Mr Edward Kallon, the Humanitarian Coordinator in Nigeria, in a statement in Abuja on Tuesday, said that the fund was the largest donation since its commencement in 2017.
According to him, the fund is coming at a critical time when the region is entering its 11th year of crisis occasioned by continued insurgency which is now compounded by the COVID-19 pandemic.
“Before and during the COVID-19 response, the Nigeria Humanitarian Fund has proven to be a rapid and flexible funding tool enabling aid actors to adapt to fast-changing humanitarian emergencies.
“With the new coronavirus now spreading across the country, the Nigeria Humanitarian Fund swiftly provided emergency funds to procure essential personal protective equipment for frontline aid workers when the pandemic reached Nigeria.
“This allocation will further support urgent efforts in Borno, Adamawa and Yobe,” Kallon said.
He said that the NHF donation was just a fragment of the over 246 million dollars which was required in 2020 for COVID-19 specific humanitarian actions in North-east.
Kallon said that the figure was also in addition to the 834 million dollars funding needed to provide urgent aid to about 5.9 million people across the three conflict-affected states.
He added that the United Nations and humanitarian partners estimated that 7.9 million people were already in dire need of humanitarian assistance before the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic.
“This number is expected to increase as the effects of the pandemic exacerbate humanitarian needs, including health services, food security and livelihoods.
“The impact of COVID-19 has made it even more essential for donors to contribute to the NHF and support aid organisations in adapting their response and providing critical life-saving assistance in North-east Nigeria,” Kallon explained.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that NHF was launched in February 2017 and is being managed by the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA).
The fund has received contributions from Belgium, Canada, Germany, Ireland, the Republic of Korea, the Netherlands, Norway, Qatar, Sweden and Switzerland for urgent actions in 2020.
Edited By: Edwin Nwachukwu/Ali Baba-Inuwa (NAN)https://nnn.ng/covid-19-nhf-earmarks-22-4m-for-north-east-in-2020/
North Macedonia’s party leaders agree to hold early elections on July 15
Party leaders in North Macedonia reached an agreement to hold early parliamentary elections on July 15, local media reported on Monday.
The early parliamentary polls were scheduled for April 12 but were postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
President Stevo Pendarovski welcomed the agreement between Zoran Zaev of the Social Democratic Union of Macedonia (SDSM) and Hristijan Mickoski of the VMRO-DPMNE.
Pendarovski said it’s “another indicator that every mature democracy requires political dialogue that results in coordinated decisions in the people’s interest,” according to a press release from the President’s Office.
The agreement was also welcomed by the European Union (EU) Commissioner for Neighborhood and Enlargement Oliver Varhelyi, who tweeted: “This agreement paves the way towards free, fair and inclusive elections, to be observed by the OSCE Office for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights (ODIHR).”
Last October, political parties reached an agreement for the April 12 snap parliamentary elections after the country’s bid for the accession negotiation with the EU was denied.
Zaev resigned as prime minister in January. Since then, North Macedonia has been run by a caretaker cabinet.
As of Monday, the health ministry reported 103 new coronavirus cases, bringing the total to 4,157, with 1,723 recoveries and 193 fatalities.