The call formed part of the communique issued at the end of the association’s stakeholders’ meeting in Umuahia.
The communique, which was made available to the News Agency of Nigeria on Friday, was jointly signed by the groups Chairman and Secretary, Dr Chimezie Okwuonu and Dr Robinson Ugwuanyi, amongst 44 others.
The group stated that the poor condition of state health institutions and renumeration of the workers negatively affected healthcare delivery and training of medical students in the state.
“The general and cottage hospitals in the state are in a dilapidated state due to the absence of government’s subvention to run the facilities under the Hospital Management Board.
“That ABSUTH, which is the oldest state-owned teaching hospital in the South-East, has the lowest wage bill and salary scales for workers, which is less than those of their contemporaries in other states.
The association further called for regular and proper renumeration of health workers in line with the “Adjusted CONMESS”, which was approved by President Muhammadu Buhari, with effect from April 18, 2019.
It also demanded the implementation of Medical Residency Training Act 2017, COVID-19 Special Hazard Inducement Allowance and off setting of the outstanding salary arrears.
The communique further called for the restoration of regular monthly subvention to state health facilities and meetings between the state and ABSUTH management.
It urged the state government to take measures to secure accreditation for all the courses in ABSUTH, rehabilitate the access road to the facility and overhaul state-owned hospitals.
The meeting appointed Dr Azubuike Onyebuchi, the Medical Director, Federal Medical Center, Umuahia as the Chairman of the association’s Action Implementation Committee, with Ugwuanyi as Secretary.
The committee comprises six other members drawn from the various branches and zones of the association in the state.
The meeting charged the committee to work assiduously to ensure that the communique was delivered to the government for immediate implementation.
Edited By: Sam Oditah
Short Link: https://wp.me/pcj2iU-3wTO
- Siemens, German government and Solidarity Fund hand over 100-bed modular hospital solution
- NiMet predicts 3 days cloudiness, thunderstorms from Friday
- Arrival of the new Hapag-Lloyd East Africa service in Kenya and Tanzania
- Eid-el-Fitr: Uzodimma hosts Muslims in Imo
- Envoy pledges to strengthen Nigeria-Cuba relations
- Coronavirus – Rwanda: COVID-19 update (May 13, 2021)
- Real Madrid stay in title hunt with win at Granada
- Coronavirus – Eswatini: COVID-19 daily update (May 13, 2021)
- Nadal follows Djokovic into Rome Open quarter-finals after epic fightback