By Ijeoma Olorunfemi
The National Information Technology Development Agency (NITDA) said on Monday it was building on national security by promoting a secure cyberspace.
NITDA Director General Kashifu Inuwa said this on the sidelines of the press conference organized by the agency to commemorate its 20th anniversary in Abuja.
The anniversary theme was “Growth and Resilience” and aimed to highlight the agency’s achievements.
Inuwa said the agency, in addition to establishing regulations that advance the country’s IT sector, contributes to national security by ensuring cyberspace is safe for users.
He explained that national security was in two perspectives, which were cybersecurity and other forms of security.
“When you talk about cybersecurity, we have achievements, we have made a lot of progress in terms of controlling cyber threats in the country.
“During the WannaCry Ransomeware attack in 2017 which affected many businesses and countries around the world, Nigeria was not affected due to the advisory role of NITDA,” he said.
He added that 95% of cyber attack incidents were the result of human failure that required awareness and strategies to avoid them.
Inuwa said the main strategy would be to educate citizens on the protection of their personal data and information.
According to him, this is why we developed the Nigerian Data Protection Regulation (NDPR) to help citizens protect and secure information.
He said that “regulation will also help our businesses to be secure and ensure a reliable online platform as businesses move online today.
“In order for you to use a platform, you need to be confident that if you put your information in the public domain, it will be secure.”
He added that the agency also ensures NDPR compliance as required by agency law.
The Nigerian News Agency (NAN) reports that activities to mark NITDA’s 20th anniversary would include the unveiling of its new seven-pillar strategy.
Activities are expected to last until April 30.
Short Link: https://wp.me/pcj2iU-3yYU
- Coronavirus – Kenya: COVID-19 update (May 11, 2021)
- UK seeks tariff exemption on solar equipment
- The newest TECNO CAMON 17 Pro has raised the bar for selfie smartphones, allowing users to express themselves creatively in their own way
- “About a Boy” the winner of the Nollywoodweek Film Festival 2021
- Energy Capital & Power Confirms High Level Sponsors for South Sudan Oil & Power 2021 Event
- APC Edo felicitates with Muslims on Eid-el Fitri
- Eid el-Fitr: A time to renew Nigeria’s pact with destiny – PDP
- Southern Senators’ Forum lauds governors on security steps
- Kogi registers indigent households impacted by COVID-19