By Aminu Garko
The police command in Niger arrested a Umar Jibril, for allegedly killing a cleric he claimed to be his wife’s lover.
Jibril, a resident of the village of Enagi, in the local government of Edati, was arrested on Tuesday, according to Mr. Adamu Usman, the police commissioner of Niger.
Usman told the Nigeria News Agency (NAN) in Minna that the suspect was arrested on Monday April 12, “at around 1:00 am, based on credible information.”
He added that the suspect allegedly stabbed Alhaji Attahiru Alhassan, Edagi’s chief imam, to death with an iron bar.
“During questioning, the suspect claimed that while relaxing in front of his house on Monday, the deceased walked past him and headed for his neighbor’s house.
He said that at around the same time his second wife, Aishatu Umar, also came out of the compound and indicated that she was going to the bathroom, just behind the compound.
The suspect told police that after waiting a while for his return, he went to pick up his wife and then heard her voice in the neighbor’s house.
He claimed that he entered the house and met the deceased with his wife, adding that he immediately left the scene and rushed to a brother, an Abubakar Abdulrahman, to inform him of what he had seen.
The suspect said that soon after the deceased had him picked up so they could both chat.
According to the suspect, during the discussion an argument ensued and he grabbed an iron bar and stabbed the deceased in the neck, resulting in his disappearance.
The police commissioner said the suspect took off after the incident and was chased to Batati village, in the Lavun local government area, where he was arrested.
“The investigation has started and the suspect will be brought to justice, as soon as the investigation is completed,” he said (NAN)
Short Link: https://wp.me/pcj2iU-3yNd
- Amaechi inaugurates 11-member committee to probe activities of NPA
- India’s IT hub Bengaluru, rural areas struggling with virus surge
- NiMet predicts 3 days cloudiness, sunshine
- Minister Lauds Lalong for sports development initiatives
- Senate says MDAs yet to remit over N3trn
- FG committed to workers’ welfare – APC Scribe
- Gov. Bello calls for prayers to end insecurity
- Edo revenue board warns against illegal tax collection
- Tackling youth unemployment By Timi Olubiyi