By Femi Ogunshola
A bill establishing the Nigerian Maritime Safety Trust Fund and other related matters passed second reading in the House of Representatives on Wednesday in Abuja.
Representative Yusuf Gagdi (APC-Plateau)the sponsor of the bill, while leading the debate said that the bill would provide for the creation of a special fund for the training and retraining of naval personnel for optimal productivity .
He added that he would also provide funding for equipment and machinery that would aid in the seamless protection of waterways by the Nigerian Navy.
This, he said, will help ensure the country’s robust economic development.
Gagdi said oil, which was the backbone of Nigeria‘s economy, originated and was transported by waterways, while most of the country’s import and export of other goods was done by the seas.
He said it was imperative that Nigeria’s navy be equipped and trained to curb the excesses of pirates, oil bunkers and other illegal activities on the country’s waterways that could hamper the country’s economic development.
The Nigerian News Agency (NAN) reports that all contributors to the debate are lending their voices to the establishment of the fund and urging the House to pass the bill without delay.
The bill was first read on March 15 and sought to exist for eight years from the date the law came into force, when it was finally passed by the National Assembly and approved. by the President.
The bill was then referred to the committee responsible for the final legislative contributions. (NOPE)
Short Link: https://wp.me/pcj2iU-3z2R
- Emir of Ningi tasks title holders to promote positive changes in communities
- New report on COVID-19 in Africa shows impact of COVID-19 on African continent has been underestimated
- Eid -el-Fitr: Gov. Ganduje frees 123 prison inmates
- Coronavirus – Malawi: Daily update of information on COVID-19 (May 13, 2021)
- World Bank to construct 13.16km Lagos farm roads
- Coronavirus – Ethiopia: COVID-19 cases reported in Ethiopia (May 13, 2021)
- Eid el-fitri: Cleric preaches unity, tolerance to check ethnicity
- Cargo Airport project ‘ll increase economic fortunes of Anambra- ONICCIMA
- FIFA World Report: Give Every Talent a Chance