Youth Initiative Against Violence and Human Right Abuse (YIAVHA), a Non Governmental Organisation has organised a workshop to sensitise youths, secondary school students in Plateau on inter-ethnic cooperation and non-violent political participation.
According to him, the exercise was aimed at promoting pluralism in the society, inter-ethnic harmony and violent-free political participation.
“This workshop covered knowledge on interfaith and inter-ethnic cooperation, community organising, facilitation and differentiating politics from religious relations.
“These youths are expected to champion discussion in their communities on the essence of interfaith, inter-ethnic cooperation and non violent political participation.
“We need an active youth population that will be vanguards of promoting inter-ethnic harmony and educate their peers and to channel effective online communication,” he said.
Pwakim added that elections in the past were characterised by religious and ethnic sentiments, hence undermining good governance and egalitarianism in the society.
He said the participants are expected to become change agents in their communities by changing the narrative for the better.
“Elections have often time not been seperated from public life where people vote those of their religion or ethnicity.
“This has undermined good governance and peace and security.
“So, these young people are to start changing such narrative by organising their peers and having a healthy conversation,” he added.
The Nigeria News Agency reports that the workshop drew participants from 10 communities and secondary schools in Jos North local government area of the state.
The communities included Laranto, farin gada/Angwan Jarawa, Tudun wada community, angwan Bala Kaze/Mai damisa, and Ibrahim katsina.
Editedby Isaac Ukpoju
Short Link: https://wp.me/pcj2iU-34l1
- Coronavirus – Nigeria: COVID-19 case update (May 7, 2021)
- FRSC enjoins passengers to caution reckless drivers
- Coronavirus – Daily update of the state of COVID-19 statistics in Zambia (May 7, 2021)
- Atiku mourns ex-Minister of Women Affairs, Alhassan
- Bird flu: Bauchi govt. kills about 27,000 birds to curtail spread
- Heirs Oil & Gas announces the appointments of its CEO and Board of Directors
- NCDC records 39 new infections, zero death
- Victor Campenaerts warming up for the Giro d’Italia time trial on Zwift
- Abuja residents count losses as FCDA demolishes illegal structures