COVID-19

New South Wales offers to host Australian Open as Melbourne battles COVID-19 spike

Published

on

New South Wales (NSW) deputy premier John Barilaro says his state will be willing to act as a temporary host for major sports events such as the Australian Open tennis Grand Slam.

Barilaro said on Friday however that this should be if those events cannot be held in neighbouring Victoria due to COVID-19.

He said he had written to sports bodies and officials in Victoria offering help to stage the events, which he said held national significance.

“Some of these events down in Victoria are national events hosted in Victoria,” Barilaro told 2GB radio in Australia.

“It’s important for the economy, important for the Australian psyche when it comes to sport.

“Absolutely we should be able to work with Victorians to find ways to make sure these all happen. These events are far too important in this crisis to not have.”

Victoria is undergoing a second lockdown and has nearly 8,000 active COVID-19 cases, while NSW has about 800.

The Australian Open, which has been held in Melbourne since 1972, is due to start in January.

However, Tennis Australia (TA) said organisers had so far not drawn up contingency plans for the tournament to be moved out of Victoria.

“Our focus is to get through the next few weeks and our team is in full planning mode to deliver a great Australian Open in Melbourne,” TA Chief Executive Craig Tiley said in a statement emailed to Reuters on Friday.

“We obviously have great facilities in Melbourne and the AO is contracted and committed to Melbourne Park.”

Melbourne is also home to the Australian Football League’s title-deciding Grand Final, scheduled for October.

AFL Chief Executive Gillon McLachlan told reporters the Grand Final, which draws a capacity crowd to the 100,000-seat Melbourne Cricket Ground, was contracted to the stadium.

He added it was “not appropriate” to look at alternative venues.

The state capital also hosts the Spring Racing Carnival, the country’s biggest horse racing programme, from October to November.

Racing Victoria said in a statement it had no intention of relocating marquee races such as the Nov. 3 Melbourne Cup.

Victoria’s sports minister did not provide immediate comment.

(
Edited By: Olawale Alabi) (NAN)

Short Link: https://wp.me/pcj2iU-3qhY

Olawale Alabi

Olawale Alabi: NNN is a Nigerian online news portal that publishes breaking news in Nigeria, and across the world. We are honest, fair, accurate, thorough and courageous in gathering, reporting and interpreting news in the best interest of the public, because truth is the cornerstone of journalism and we strive diligently to ascertain the truth in every news report. Contact: editor @ nnn.ng. Disclaimer.

CBN to sanction DMBs and BDCs for rejecting old and smaller US dollars Women’s rugby action resumes in Uganda Kwara Govt welcomes 129 doctors, others Customs strike force intercepts 513 bags of foreign rice NABDA partner ABU on genetically improved maize Senate seeks more incentives for new entrants to cement production The FG reaffirms its commitment to the growth of MSMEs to stimulate GDP AU mourns ousted Chadian President Deby Mourning CBN urges banks to support businesses seeking expansion Lawan praises a harmonious relationship between the arms of government Providing public services is key to improving lives – SERVICOM Nigeria and Tanzania support defense collaboration – CDS NIS boss calls for effective border management Saudi embassy donates COVID-19 medical supplies to FG Pantami attack disrupts plan for secure national database – CSO FG, JUSUN / PASAN meeting postponed – Ngige Addressing the Myths of the COVID-19 Vaccine Gasoline Queues: NNPC Increases Daily PMS Trucks To 1,661 Ramadan: Buhari joins the faithful for the annual Tafsir Woman stabs 14-year-old student in Bayelsa to death Nigeria and North Korea to form joint STI committee – Minister FG reaffirms the efficacy of artemisinin against malaria Hoima District frontline health workers hesitate over COVID-19 vaccination, then adopt after WHO assurance Customs intercept hemp, carbide, others with N3.1bn DPV Edo spends 6 billion naira on infrastructure in public primary schools Dr Congo: worrying influx of wounded in Beni and Goma hospitals Minister frowns at lower volume of trade with S’Korea NAPTIP arrests 4 people for alleged sales of babies IUCN’s Inaugural African Protected Areas Congress officially relaunched The Gambia eliminates trachoma as a public health problem Gasoline tail: Kyari informs Buhari and promises to end fuel shortage within hours Buhari mourns President Deby – NIGERIA NEWS AGENCY More than 200,000 people return to Zimbabwe as COVID-19 impacts regional economies NWFL Super Six: Sunshine Queens beat Edo Queens to stay in contention Ondo Electoral Court rejects PDP petition against Governor Akeredolu RTS, S malaria vaccine reaches more than 650,000 children in Ghana, Kenya and Malawi with breakthrough pilot program Lagos State to Hold LG Poll in July CAF Confederation Cup: matches of the fifth day More refugees arrive in Chad following recent clashes in the Central African Republic MMA2 security personnel return lost bag containing 2.35 m N to passenger Japan donates $ 6.5 million to WFP to tackle food insecurity in South Sudan EU launches € 100 million humanitarian initiative to support COVID-19 vaccination campaigns in Africa The transition period in Chad will last 18 months – Military NDLEA Shuts Down Drug Syndicate, Arrests 2 Undergraduates Egypt dismisses head of railway authority following fatal accidents Coronavirus – Malawi: COVID-19 update (April 19, 2021) Coronavirus – Namibia: COVID-19 update (April 19, 2021) Iran rejects step-by-step plan to revive nuclear deal Tigray crisis enters sixth month with no clear end in sight amid ‘serious and continuing violations of children’s rights’ Chad sets up transitional military council headed by son of late president – reports