The newly appointed Director of Defense Information, Maj.-Gen. Ohwonigho Akpor has urged the media to continue advancing the course of national security while playing its role as a watchdog for society.
Akpor made the call while taking over the leadership on Friday in Abuja.
He pledged to progressively sustain and strengthen existing media and military cooperation with the goal of building a more peaceful and progressive nation.
According to him, just as the media is essential for informing the public about military operations, the media is also highly dependent on the armed forces to fulfill its mandate.
“Suffice it to mention that while performing their watchdog duties, the media must always remember to play the vital role of furthering the course of national security,” he said.
Akpor said the armed forces along with other security agencies have been at the forefront in maintaining the nation’s sovereignty and territorial integrity, as well as facilitating economic, political and energy security, among other aspects of security. national.
The spokesperson added that the morale component remains an important component of combat power, which according to him, allows personnel to fight efficiently, defying all odds while carrying out their constitutional duties.
However, he urged the media to play their part in maintaining the morale of the citizenry, especially personnel from the armed forces and other security agencies involved in addressing contemporary security challenges facing the nation.
According to him, the Chief of the Defense Staff, General Lucky Irabor, has always advocated the “Whole of Society Approach” in dealing with national security issues, thus boosting the morale of the fighting troops.
“The morale of the military would remain their critical contribution to national security as members of the press.
“I must congratulate the Defense Correspondents for demonstrating a high sense of professionalism in coverage and reporting on defense and security matters.
“I sincerely urge you to remain patriotic while adhering to ethical journalistic standards of objectivity, fairness and balance in reporting on defense-related issues, as we work together to build the Nigeria of our dreams,” he said.
Outgoing Acting Director of Defense Information Air Commodore WAP Maigida said the military had effectively harnessed public support and goodwill, using media platforms to achieve success in its engagements.
Maigida, who was appointed 551st Commander of the Nigerian Air Force Station in Jos, said the directorate also achieved a milestone in the area of military-media relations through capacity building and other activities during his tenure.
He called on the media to remain patriotic in their coverage and reporting of issues and events that concern national security, respecting ethical standards in the practice of journalism.
- Flying Eagles win 3-1 to lift WAFU title
- Nigeria, Cote d’Ivoire to deepen bilateral relations
- Sanctions against Russia: WTA joins ATP in stripping Wimbledon of ranking points
- Party Primary: APC delegates vow to vote credible leaders
- Player’s eligibility: Delta Queens file petition against Bayelsa Queens
- Education, short road to peace, freedom—NIREC
- Gov. Matawalle urges traditional rulers to tackle insecurity in Zamfara
- Old boys budgets N1bn to fix infrastructure for Alma Mater
- NGX: Market capitalisation dips by N159bn
- OGP :15 states yet to sign up for responsive governance — Minister
- Afreximbank, APPO sign MoU to establish African Energy Transition Bank
- Nigeria prioritises migration governance in devt plans, inaugurates humanitarian hub – Commissioner
- 2023: Amosun pledges to improve date palm production for exportation
- NCoS Controller advises officers to show good character, be dedicated
- FG wants NAICOM to institute mechanism for prompt claims payment
- 2023: PDP urges INEC to accelerate voter registration
- Outgoing CIBN president tasks banks on technology
- Governance: Group engages stakeholders on LG procurement processes
- Buhari greets industrialist, Lawal Obelawo at 92
- Switzerland: President Cassis receives Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta
- Gov. Sanwo-Olu, NAN correspondent receive tourism awards
- Radio News Release (Soundbite): African Development Bank President Akinwumi Adesina says the African Emergency Food Production Facility will provide 20 million African smallholder farmers with certified seeds
- ‘Armed men kidnap’ 3 Italians and a Togolese in Mali
- Buhari appoints new Statistician-General for NBS
- Customs Strike force Team “B” seizes goods worth N148.5 m
- Radio News Release (Soundbite): African Development Bank President Akinwumi Adesina says Africa’s access to fertilizers should not face the same constraints as the case was for Covid-19 vaccines
- 2023 Election: Yero urges Party to consider him first during primaries
- Flood: NEMA releases disaster risk management report, harps on early action
- Radio News Release (Soundbite): Transparent subsidy mechanisms need to be put in place in order to provide African farmers with affordable fertilizers, says African Development Bank President, Akinwumi Adesina
- KDSG establishes family court to handle cases involving minors
- Radio News Release (Soundbite): Food shortages in Africa could lead to high instability, including riots or toppling governments, warns African Development Bank President, Akinwumi Adesina
- NEM Insurance generates N27.8bn gross premium in 2021
- Radio News Release (Soundbite): Heat-tolerant wheat varieties helped Ethiopia stop wheat imports and become a net wheat exporter, says African Development Bank President Akinwumi Adesina
- Police arrest 6 suspected killers of Imoh, 7 others in Lagos
- Radio News Release (Soundbite): The African Development Bank helped Sudan reduce its wheat imports by 50% thanks to drought-tolerant seeds, says African Development Bank President Akinwumi Adesina
- U.S. Consulate trains 30 youths on fashion design enterpreneurship
- Re-position insurance industry to attract investors – Minister urges NAICOM
- EKSG: Reports alleging financial recklessness against Gov. Fayemi misleading
- We will raise $662m in 5 years for HIV/AIDS financing — Group
- Group trains 200 developers on Web monetisation using invented Yoruba security software
- 2023: I’ll restructure Nigeria if elected, Tambuwal tells Delta delegates
- African Development Bank Board approves $1.5 billion facility to avert food crisis
- 26 boxers fight for honours in Lagos
- NEPC trains 125 soybeans farmers on modern techniques to boost production
- Strike: LAUTECH ASUU dissociates self from resumption notice
- Air pollution: Lagos Govt. charges residents to obey guidelines
- Group calls for more participation of girls in ICT careers
- Buhari joins prayers for late UAE President
- Rep trains, empowers 800 youths, women in Sokoto
- First Lady condoles UAE over president’s death