NDLEA destroys 42.9 hectares of Indian hemp farmlands in Ekiti — Official
NNN: Approximately 42.9 hectares of Cannabis Sativa (Indian hemp) farmland was destroyed by the Drug Enforcement Agency (NDLEA), Ekiti Command, in the year 2021.
The Commander of the NDLEA in Ekiti, Mr. Anthony Olowonihi, said this in an interview with the Nigerian News Agency on Friday in Ado-Ekiti.
Olowonihi said the destructions were carried out in Ise-Ekiti and Eporo-Ekiti, in Ise Local Government Area and Emure Local Government Area, respectively, between January 2021 and December 2021.
The head of the Ekiti NDLEA, who denounced the rising rate of drug abuse in the state, said a total of 5,140 kilograms of Cannabis sativa, known as Indian hemp, were also seized during the period under review.
“There was an increase in the use of illicit drugs in Ekiti in 2021. In January we seized 29 kg of Cannabis sativa and in the future it continued to increase.
“seized 61 kg, while nine hectares of Indian hemp farmland were destroyed and in October another 32 hectares of farmland were destroyed in Use-Ekiti and Eporo forest in Emure.
“In November, we seized 2,838 kg of illicit drugs within the Ise and Emure axis.
“In other areas of the state, we seized 1,447 kg of cannabis sativa for the months of September, October, November and December, all in 2021,” Olowonihi said.
He urged landowners in Ekiti not to give their land to Indian hemp farmers.
“Don’t hand over your land to those who will use it for illicit drug crops; rather release the land to the people who will use it to grow yams, cassava, corn and cash crops that will benefit our nation,” he said.
Olowonihi advised Nigerians, especially Ekiti residents, to desist from smoking or using illicit drugs as they are destroying their future, that of the state and the country in general.
- Ericsson invites participants to ‘Together Apart Hackathon’ to boost innovation in Nigeria
- Eid-el-Kabir: FRSC deploys 36,000 personnel, 750 patrol vehicles, ambulances
- OPEC Secretary-General, Barkindo dies at 63
- Banditry: Matawalle security agencies of his total support
- Gunmen attack Kuje Custodial Centre in Abuja
- Enugu govt. appoints Ihuoma Eze, acting coordinator of APPEALS World Bank project
- Roadmap for new NNPC hinges on PIA – Okadigbo
- Sallah: Presidency condemn attack on President Buhari’s advance team in Katsina
- My alleged suspension over alleged financial impropriety a huge joke-PDP chairman
- We must appreciate our history to develop as a nation – History Teacher
- Bandits burn down 2 health centres, shut 69 others in Katsina— official
- Police confirm killing of area commander by bandits in Katsina
- UN chief welcomes ECOWAS resolutions on Mali, commends Goodluck Jonathan
- NAOWA gifts food items, medicine, others to widows of fallen soldiers in Imo
- PDP’ll participate in Ebonyi July LG polls- Party Chairman
- Breaking: Sporadic gunshots, bomb blast heard near Kuje Prison
- Gunmen kill police inspector, abduct Chinese national in Kwara
- Gender-based, income inequalities fuelling teen pregnancies in developing countries – UNFPA
- My removal did not follow due process, says Sacked Abia LG boss
- NADCEL: Army Chief, Yahaya, bags chieftaincy title in Imo