By Ibironke Ariyo
Nigeria Corrections Service (NCoS) Acting Comptroller General John Mrabure ordered a full investigation into the incident at the Owerri Detention Center in the early hours of Monday April 5, 2021.
The on-duty public relations officer (SPRO), Mr. Francis Enobore, revealed this in a statement made available to the Nigeria News Agency (NAN) early Tuesday in Abuja.
Mrabure said the mission, which would be carried out in conjunction with other security organizations, began with search and recovery operations to retrieve the fleeing detainees.
NAN reports that the Owerri detention center in Imo was attacked by unidentified gunmen and forcibly released a total of 1,844 detainees in custody.
The attackers, who stormed the facility at around 2:15 a.m. on Monday, April 5, 2021, entered the premises using explosives to blow up the administrative block.
They were reportedly arrived at the center in large numbers in several Hilux Pick-Up vans and Sienna buses armed with sophisticated weapons and immediately engaged the security personnel on duty in a fierce shootout.
The invaders eventually detonated explosives to gain entry.
Mrabure called on the good citizens of Imo and even Nigerians to provide useful information that would facilitate the recovery of fugitive detainees.
However, he assured the population that the security of detention centers across the country remained sacrosanct.
He also ordered all officers attached to detention facilities to remain vigilant during this trying time of the NCoS.
“As in the last count, six detainees have so far returned voluntarily to the facility while 35 detainees have refused to escape from detention during the attack,” he said.
Short Link: https://wp.me/pcj2iU-3yDq
- 16,000 jobs’ll be created when National Theatre’s renovation is completed – Official
- Gen. Joshua Dogonyaro, ex-CDS dies at 80 Death
- Coronavirus – Eritrea: Ministry of Health announcement (May 12, 2021)
- New board will run the National Theatre after renovations – GM
- Ogun Govt. restates commitment to quality health care
- Eid-el-Fitr: Ganduje urges Muslims to pray for peace
- Coronavirus – Nigeria: COVID-19 case update (May 12, 2021)
- Eid-el-Fitr: Orji Kalu advocates national cohesion
- Expert wants greater investment in food security