Connect with us

General news

NBBF Elections: Stakeholders urge Kida to respect ministry’s directive

Published

on

NBBF Elections: Stakeholders urge Kida to respect ministry’s directive

Some basketball stakeholders have urged the outgoing chairman of the Nigerian Basketball Federation (NBBF) goalkeeper committee Musa Kida to respect the decision of the Ministry of Youth and Sports Development to suspend the Elective Congress of the NBBF.

The Nigeria News Agency reports that Stanley Gumut, the newly elected players’ representative in the NBBF, made the appeal during a press briefing organized by current and ex-D’Tigers players, as well than other stakeholders.

A statement from the permanent secretary, Ismaila Abubakar, ordered on Monday an indefinite suspension of the elective Congress of the NBBF for the elections scheduled for Saturday in Benin.

However, a counter statement from Musa Kida, the chairman of the NBBF Guardian Committee, challenged the ministry‘s guidelines on Tuesday.

Kida’s statement reads in part: “NBBF’s attention is drawn to an unsigned press release credited to the Permanent Secretary of the Federal Ministry of Youth and Sports (FMY & S), on multiple social media, dated 24 October 2021.

“Declaring that the Elective Congress of the NBBF is scheduled for Benin City, Edo State, on October 30, 2021, as approved by the Extraordinary Congress of the NBBF on October 9, 2021, in Abuja, which complied with the provisions of The 2019 Bylaws approved by the FBNB have been postponed indefinitely.

“This alleged postponement is without any legal basis and in fact constitutes a usurpation of the powers of the NBBF Congress as they are written in the statutes of the NBBF.

“It is also repugnant to natural justice, fairness and good conscience, and amounts to an arbitrary use of power, after the ministry has repeatedly confirmed the existence of our constitution and the supremacy of the congress of the NBBF to conduct business as dictated. constitution, ”he said.

Gumut told reporters that it was surprising that Kida disputed the authenticity of the ministry’s press release, despite a confirmation letter to that effect which also came from NBBF general secretary Afolabi-Oluwayemi Olabisi.

He noted that the confirmation letter attached to the ministry’s statement has been forwarded to all stakeholders, including the sports director, general manager and presidents of state basketball associations.

“Let me first of all appreciate the Ministry of Youth and Sports, under the leadership of Sunday Dare and the Permanent Secretary, Ismaila Abubakar, for their intervention in the NBBF crisis so far.

“We started this journey a few weeks ago, demanding that the right thing be done in the FBNB and we are happy that the ministry has shown us that it has our best interests at heart and is ready to listen to us.

“So we call on Kida to stop pretending to be the chairman of the goalkeeper committee first, in order to create a level playing field.

“This is very important because as long as this problem persists it means that we are not going anywhere at the moment.

“But, I want to believe that the ministry which is the guardian of sports in the country and which initially dissolved the board of directors and made him the chairman of the goalkeeper committee at the time, has the right to embark on the NBBF crisis.

“So, I wonder why someone who is determined to impose themselves on us cannot respect the ministry which is the major player and the players in sport, including basketball in the country?”, A he declared.

Gumut, who was a national team player, D’Tigers also questioned the motive behind the committee’s decision to move the elective congress to Benin.

“The decision to move the elections itself is highly questionable.

“Indeed, if he doesn’t have a cockroach in his cupboard, I wonder why he can’t stand at the CTF under the watchful eyes of all stakeholders, observers, as well as the media, like everyone else. federations led theirs.

“We are happy that the authorities are looking into this matter and we all want to end this crisis, which is why we are putting our heads together.

“We’re not saying that he (Kida) can’t come back and win, it’s possible, but we insist that the document he is scrolling through be reviewed in order to make it a global document.

“I cannot imagine why someone from the diaspora is not allowed to stand for election in their country. However, these same actors are called upon to represent the country.

“So these are some of the legal document issues that we are fighting against, because at the end of the day every player in basketball, especially the players, has to be won,” he said.

He also stressed that his election as an athlete’s representative remained genuine, even though Kida had continued to challenge his election, adding that the facts were known and clear to all.

“The facts are clear. I received my return letter. We have videos of how they tried to truncate it, although we don’t make noise about it

“So I’ve since put it all behind me and can’t wait to see how we can make things better for basketball in the country,” he said.

Gumut, who was also the former captain of the Mark Mentors Basketball Club, stressed that the most important thing is to revive the domestic game, especially the league, as well as the well-being of the players.

He added that the champions of the protest, the D’Tigresse, were also timely, saying it was indeed time to end the reign of tyranny in the NBBF.

Source: NAN

Short Link: https://wp.me/pcj2iU-3DuU

NNN is a Nigerian online news portal that publishes breaking news in Nigeria, and across the world. We are honest, fair, accurate, thorough and courageous in gathering, reporting and interpreting news in the best interest of the public, because truth is the cornerstone of journalism and we strive diligently to ascertain the truth in every news report. Contact: editor @ nnn.ng. Disclaimer.