General news

NASU threatens 14-day warning strike over shortfall in salaries

Published

on


The Non-Academic Staff Union of Educational and Associated Institutions (NASU) says it will begin a 14-day warning strike in Federal Universities, Polytechnics and Colleges of Education, over shortfall in payment of its members’ salaries.


Mr Peters Adeyemi, General Secretary of NASU, made this known in a statement on Monday in Abuja.

Adeyemi said that the non-teaching staff union was protesting the short-payment of its members’ salaries since February 2020 through the Integrated Payroll and Personnel Information System (IPPIS).

According to Adeyemi, the association has filed the Trade Dispute Act CAP 432, Trade Disputes (Essential Services) Act, CAP 433 of the of the law of the Federation of Nigeria 1990 and Trade disputes (Amendment) Decree No 47 of 1992 otherwise called Form TD/3.

He said NASU has duly filed official complaints against the Office of the Accountant General of the Federation in its filled form TD/3, titled ‘notification of trade dispute, inter and intra – union disputes by employers/workers organisation, among others.

“We have raised issues in dispute to include non-payment of salaries to some staff, short payment salaries to some staff, failure to pay approved allowances as contained in the year 2009 agreement.

” Others are, non-deduction of check-off dues, and non-deduction of cooperative and other deductions of its members in the Federal Universities and inter-university centres, Federal Polytechnics and Federal Colleges of Education.

“We have also stated in the petition that various steps aimed at resolving the crisis have failed, ” he said.

He, however, noted the steps so far taken to resolve the issue include, meeting of NASU leadership with the Director, IPPIS on  Jan.21, 2020.

He said another meeting of NASU leadership with the same director was held on Feb. 4, 2020, which did not yield desired result.

Adeyemi also said that a letter had been issued to the Minister of Labour and Employment, Sen. Chris Ngige, declaring a trade dispute over IPPIS officials refusal to effect appropriate corrections of all the anomalies.

He said that in spite of the assurances given by the minister, the issues has continued to linger.

Adeyemi added that NASU members have continued to observe the anomalies in their salaries paid in February, March and April.

He, therefore, said that NASU’s complaints as contained in its letter dated April  7, 2020, fell on deaf ears as none of it was addressed in the March salaries.

“It is unfortunate that IPPIS has only betrayed the leadership of NASU by deceiving us into accepting that the IPPIS platform will take on board all the peculiarities affecting our members and that there will be no problem if we key into the platform.

“Now we know better. IPPIS promises of doing a three-month experiment has become very disastrously and we are unable to allow this defective and deficient process to continue,” he said.

Adeyemi noted that NASU has issued a notice of strike, having fulfilled all the statutory requirements.

He said the association has also placed all its members in the Federal Universities and Intra-University Centres, Federal Polytechnics and Federal Colleges of Education on a 14-day warning strike.

He added that the strike take effective from the date of the resumption of work in all the mentioned institutions.

“Thereafter, an indefinite strike will follow if positive action is not taken to remedy the situation, ” he said.

Adeyemi said that the strike notice has been conveyed to its members during the weekend through a letter with reference number /307/209.

He said the 14-day warning strike would be used to protest the refusal of IPPIS to react positively to issues that affect the correct payment of its members’ salaries and other errors identified which have been placed before the IPPIS for correction.

Meanwhile, Mr Henshaw Ogubike, Director, Information, Press and Public Relations, OAGF, in a statement said that his attention has been drawn to series of reports on claims by tertiary institutions unions, over IPPIS deductions in their salaries, among others.

Ogubike said it was important to put the records straight for the interest of the general public and majority of staff of tertiary institutions that have displayed unparalleled understanding and cooperated with IPPIS until date.

“This office is not unaware that there are bound to be teething challenges arising from migration of tertiary institutions onto IPPIS platform.

” This requires the cooperation and understanding of all the tertiary institutions to enable us effect the necessary corrections as quickly as possible.

“On the completion of this process, the issue of payment of consequential arrears can be meaningful and realistic to ensure that there is no overpayment or underpayment arising from the payment,” he said.

Edited By: Bola Akingbehin/ Felix Ajide (NAN)

 

https://nnn.ng/nasu-threatens-14-day-warning-strike-over-shortfall-in-salaries/

Entertainment

BBNaija 2020: Presenter reveals how winner will emerge

Published

on


Mr Ebuka Obi-Uchendu, the presenter of the 2020 Big Brother Naija Reality Show Season Five ‘Lockdown’, says a grand winner, will emerge through number of votes accrued to a housemate.


Obi-Uchendu disclosed this on his official twitter page @Ebuka, where he wrote “How your favorite BBNAIJA housemate will ‘fly’ into the top spot on Sunday…But only if you vote”.

The Big Brother Lockdown Season five which started on July 19, with 20 housemates is gradually coming to an end leaving only five housemates to jostle for the N85 million grand prize.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the BBNaija season five would end on Sunday Sept. 27.

The successful housemates that have scaled through to the final are Laycon, Dorathy, Neo, Nengi and Vee.

Meanwhile, Laycon fans solicit for more votes for him as Aderibigbe Abayomi wrote “Don’t take your eyes off the price.

“The ultimate goal is to massively vote Laycon to win the top price. Please, keep voting Laycon It ain’t over till the N85m is won.

VOTE Laycon”.

The breakdown of the grand prize for BBNaija season five includes N30 million cash prize; a two-bedroom apartment courtesy Revolution Plus; a top of the range SUV from Nigerian automaker, Innoson Motors; a trip to Dublin courtesy Guinness; home appliances courtesy Scanfrost.

Others are a trip to Dubai packaged by Travelbeta; a year’s supply of Indomie noodles, Munch it, and Colgate toothpaste; a year’s supply of Pepsi, a branded chiller, trip to watch the UEFA Champions League finale; and a brand new Oppo mobile smartphone.

In 2019, the BBNaija winner, Mercy Eke, won N30 million prize money, as well as other mouth-watering gifts.

Edited By: Sadiya Hamza
Source: NAN

https://nnn.ng/bbnaija-2020-presenter-reveals-how-winner-will-emerge/
Continue Reading

Judiciary

Coalition commends Buhari for signing Police Bill 2020 into law

Published

on


The Coalition of Public Interest Lawyers and Advocates (COPA), a Human Rights, pro- democracy and good governance group has commended President Muhammadu Buhari for signing into law the Nigeria Police Act, 2020.


The coalition in a statement by its convener Mr Pelumi Olajengbesi on Wednesday in Abuja applauded the president saying the signing was timeous.

It would be recalled that President Buhari on Sept. 17 signed the police bill into law to enhance professionalism in their administration and regulation in the country.

The new law among other things provides for a more effective and well organised police force driven by the principles of transparency and accountability in its operations and management of its resources.

It also enables and establishes an appropriate funding framework for the Police in line with what is obtainable in other Federal Government key institutions to ensure appropriate funding for all Police formations.

Olajengbesi said that the police were at the heart of a seamless functioning of any political entity given its strategic role in the maintenance of law and order and as such must be preserved.

He noted that inadequate funding, lack of manpower, poor training and expertise in the police had continually been felt by Nigerians who had to bear the brunt of abuse of human rights, and so on.

“It remains puzzling that an agency as strategic as such has been allowed to labour for too long under the limitations of an anachronistic legislation that among other things did not reflect the reality of evolution over the years.

“We therefore commend all civil society organisations and individuals who have tirelessly sustained the clamour for a review of the enabling law governing the Nigeria Police.

“We particularly commend Mr Segun Awosanya, (Segalink) for his selfless role in advocating for the reforms which have so prominently featured in the new law,” he added.

He also commended the 9th National Assembly for midwifing a forward thinking legislation, while calling on the leadership of the Nigeria Police to ensure that the law yielded the desired result.

“We urge the Inspector-General of Police to set proper tone for this “new beginning” by ensuring that utmost compliance and application is given to the law.”

Edited By: Sadiya Hamza
Source: NAN

https://nnn.ng/coalition-commends-buhari-for-signing-police-bill-2020-into-law/
Continue Reading

Defence/Security

Buhari describes death of 2 Borno Emirs as “rare double tragedy” , painful loss

Published

on


President Muhammadu Buhari  has described the death of two Borno Emirs as a “rare double tragedy” and a painful loss to the people of Nigeria.


Buhari in a condolence letter he sent to Gov. Babaga Zulum and the people of Borno, commended the roles played by the late Shehu of Bama, Umar El-Kanemi and the Emir of Biu Mustapha Aliyu in maintaining peace and stability in their respective emirates, especially in the wake of violence caused by the Boko Haram insurgents.

Presenting the letters on behalf of Buhari, the Minister of Education, Malam Adamu Adamu, who  led the federal government delegation, commended Gov. Zulum for his foresight, commitment, devotion and courage for his peace building efforts to restore normalcy in his state.

“We would like to pray to God to change the situation from the challenges the state is currently facing.

“What you are doing is giving hope to Nigerians, because we have not seen a Governor, picking so much interest, risking his own life and then going after the danger that faces his people. We congratulate you for what you are doing.” he said.

Responding, Gov. Zulum expressed appreciation to President Buhari for sending a delegation to condole with government and people of the state.

Zulum said  that the President could not send his delegation when the Shehu of Bama died due to the inter-state  lockdown as a result of COVID-19 pandemic.

The governor added that the President personally called him and the Shehu of Borno to commiserate with them over the death of the Shehu of Bama.

NAN reports that the Shehu Bama died on April 27, at 60, while the Emir of Biu died on Sept. 15, at 79, leaving behind four wives, over 70 children and 200 grandchildren.

Other members of the delegation include the Ministers of State of Agriculture, Baba Shehuri and that of Works and Housing, Abubakar Aliyu, Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Malam Garba Shehu was also part of the delegation. 

Edited By: Sadiya Hamza
Source: NAN

https://nnn.ng/buhari-describes-death-of-2-borno-emirs-as-rare-double-tragedy-painful-loss/
Continue Reading

General news

Zamfara seeks whereabouts of N37bn refund on executed FG projects

Published

on


Zamfara Government says it has alerted security agencies to track the whereabouts of over N37 billion refunds on Federal Government projects executed by the state.


Alhaji Rabiu Garba, the state Commissioner of Finance, announced this while addressing journalists in Gusau on Tuesday.

Garba alleged that the immediate past administration led by former governor, Abdulaziz Yari might have misappropriated the money.

The commissioner said the amount was initially quoted at over N47 billion as the funds used by the former administration in the reconstruction and rehabilitation of 14 federal roads in the state.

“We understood that the cost of the verified projects at the Federal Ministry of Works stood at over N37 billion.

“But when we asked for refunds of the said amount, it was confirmed by both the Federal Ministry of Works and the Debt Management Office that the amount had been paid fully.

“On further investigation, we gathered that the money was collected by the Director-General of Nigerian Governors’ Forum and one lady who also worked in the same place on instructions from former Zamfara government.

“We wonder how people who are not indigenes of the state nor have they ever worked for the state should collect such a colossal amount on behalf of the government and people of Zamfara,’’ the commissioner said.

He assured that the present administration under Gov. Bello Matawalle will do everything possible to recover the money “so that we can use it in the development of the state’’.

But reacting in an interview with the News agency of Nigeria on Wednesday, the former Commissioner of Finance in the Yari led government, Alhaji Muktar Idris exonerated the administration from any wrongdoing.

Idris said that the immediate past administration constructed the roads at the cost of over N60 billion and claimed the same amount from the Federal Government.

“But a federal government verification committee only approved N37.4 billion refunds which was on completed projects.

“Due to dearth of funds to repay such projects to about 23 states, which stood at over N500 billion, it was agreed at the governors’ forum that the states would collect the refunds in two tranches via promissory notes that would mature in three years.

“The states were to receive 40 per cent in the first instalment, in which Zamfara’s due amount stood at N14.9 billion.

“All the affected state governors also agreed that the director-general of the Governors’ Forum should collect for them.

“I still have the documents with me where we put over N10 billion as discounted from N14.9 billion into our joint account because we needed the money.

“So, we discounted and collected the amount through the Debt Management Office, Idris told NAN.

He explained further that the second promissory note was for N22 billion which was also discounted to a little over N17 billion.

“All the money had been deposited into the state government’s accounts.

“Zamfara people are free to check and verify these facts,’’ he said.

Edited By: Abdulfatah Babatunde
Source: NAN

https://nnn.ng/zamfara-seeks-whereabouts-of-n37bn-refund-on-executed-fg-projects/
Continue Reading

PDP commiserates with Fayose over sister’s death 2020 NSF: Ondo coach vows to retain male volleyball title BBNaija 2020: Presenter reveals how winner will emerge New born baby found dead in gutter in Nasarawa State Coalition commends Buhari for signing Police Bill 2020 into law CLO urges INEC to consolidate on gains of Edo polls Sen. Gyang describes assassination of Plateau traditional ruler as barbaric, devilish Buhari describes death of 2 Borno Emirs as “rare double tragedy” , painful loss Zamfara seeks whereabouts of N37bn refund on executed FG projects EU executive to propose overhaul of migration and asylum system Oil down after United States crude inventories rise against expectations Malaysia opposition leader Ibrahim says seeking to form new government Damilare, Christiana emerge winners in Big Dreams Nigeria talent show NCDC announces 176 new COVID-19 infection in Nigeria UNGA Debate: Buhari urges global action against small arms S/Arabia to allow Umrah pilgrimage to resume from October – Report UNGA Debate: Buhari advocates uninhibited supply of safe coronavirus vaccines to all Nigeria High Commission in Canada reopens after six-month closure President Buhari’s UNGA75 National Statement Olowu condoles with COAS, says Col. Bako’s death a national tragedy 9 energy firms get $2.6m USAID grant to power rural clinics in Africa FCTA reiterates commitment to job creation through agriculture value chain Sanwo-Olu charges cabinet, officials to brace up for optimum performance I never accused NAN staff of fraud, says Lagos NUJ Chairman Navy deploys 6 warships for special military operation in 4 states Obiano inaugurates 18-member task force on human trafficking, irregular migrationar migration Buhari congratulates Plateau Dep. Gov. Tyoden at 70 Barbados tourism expert advises African operators on innovation Ramaphosa urges UN to take decisive action against racism Ex-governor Yari administration diverted N10.8bn for university project – Commissioner  Buhari consoles with Borno on loss of two Emirs Suspect wanted by FBI for $6m scam surrenders to EFCC — Official Lagos govt to train medical records personnel for effective service delivery AbdulRazaq updates Buhari on Kwara flood disaster, seeks FG support   Flood: NASG distributes relief materials to victims in 45 communities UN commends FG on improvement of humanitarian access in North-East Gov. Ganduje inaugurates NYSC governing board 8 states yet to implement new minimum wage – TUC COVID-19: We’ve flattened the curve, says Gov. Ganduje Silverbird Group to establish cinema outlets in Ebonyi FG alleges that multinationals companies drill for water without approval Electricity/Fuel pump hike: NLC insists on nationwide protest LASG receives 107,546 CA-COVID food palliative packs At UNGA, AU chairman solicits ‘comprehensive stimulus package’ for Africa Sanusi calls for diversification of economy to address poverty, inequality Food Council to ensure reduction in fertiliser price – Gov. Bagudu Kwara Assembly urges Gov AbdulRasaq to assist rainstorm victims I’m loyal to APC, not factions, says chieftain in Ibadan Oyo govt re-awards 9.7km Saki township road for N4.7bn Suarez language exam for Italian citizenship rigged, prosecutors insist