Media professionals covering energy and the oil and gas sector have been tasked on accurate reportage of activities in the industry due to its importance to the Nigerian economy.
Mr Alex Tarka, President, National Association of Petroleum Explorationists (NAPE) gave the charge on Tuesday at a virtual workshop organised by NAPE for media professionals reporting events in the oil and gas industry.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the workshop had the theme :”Accessing Quality Information and Data Journalism for Oil and Gas Media Professionals.”
Tarka said the aim of the workshop was to deepen the knowledge of the media on the workings of the industry, especially due to its highly technical and dynamic nature.
He said : “The oil and gas industry is highly technical in its processes and operations.
“It is important that the reportage of events in the oil and gas space by oil and gas media professionals is delivered accurately, in context and with the appropriate degree of details. “
In his presentation, Mr Toyin Akinosho, Publisher, African Oil+Gas Report, enjoined the participants to be wary of fake news which have become prevalent in recent times.
Akinosho urged the media professionals to abide by the ethics of the profession at all times in their reportage.
Similarly, Mrs Yvette Dimiri, Growth Editor, Stears Business, encouraged them to always back up their stories with data to increase objectivity in the minds of their audience.
She said the participants should embrace data and digital journalism going forward, especially as the traditional media had been greatly hit by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Edited By: Oluwole Sogunle
- Coronavirus – Ethiopia: COVID-19 update (March 2, 2021)
- Coronavirus – Eritrea: Ministry of Health announcement (March 2, 2021)
- Coronavirus – Malawi: COVID-19 update (March 2, 2021)
- Nigeria: children traumatized by kidnapping need urgent rehabilitation, say UN experts
- Coronavirus – Nigeria: COVID-19 update (March 2, 2021)
- Coronavirus – Zambia: COVID-19 update (March 2, 2021)
- Coronavirus – Eswatini: COVID-19 update (March 2, 2021)
- Team Europe partners with Equity Bank to support Kenyan businesses and agriculture amid COVID-19
- West African ministers of health in the joint fight against Ebola
- The Union of OIC News Agencies (UNA) and SID through THIQAH (IDB Group Business Forum) sign MoC to strengthen cooperation in the field of media