COVID-19

Nadal to skip United States Open due to COVID-19 concerns, as organisers announce entries

Published

on


World number two Rafa Nadal confirmed on Tuesday that he would not defend his United States Open crown this year at Flushing Meadows.


His announcement came as organisers released the singles entry list for the Grand Slam.

Spain’s Nadal had said in June that he had reservations about travelling to the United States amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

He joins women’s world number one Australian Ash Barty in skipping the tournament due to COVID-19 concerns.

“After many thoughts I have decided not to play (at) this year’s United States Open,” Nadal said on Twitter.

”The situation is very complicated worldwide, and the COVID-19 cases are increasing. It looks like we still don’t have control of it.

“We know that the reduced tennis calendar is barbaric this year after four months stopped with no play.

”I understand and thank (everyone) for the efforts they are putting in to make it happen. We have just seen the announcement of Madrid not being played this year.

“This is a decision I never wanted to take but I have decided to follow my heart this time and for the time being I rather not travel.”

The Madrid Open, which was scheduled to take place from Sept. 12 to Sept. 20, was cancelled on Tuesday due to the rise of COVID-19 cases in the Spanish capital.

The United States has the highest tally in the world with more than 4.7 million confirmed novel coronavirus cases and nearly 156,000 deaths, according to a Reuters tally.

World number one Novak Djokovic, a three-times champion in New York, headlines the men’s list along with last year’s runner-up Daniil Medvedev.

There are other top 10 players, including Dominic Thiem, Stefanos Tsitsipas and Alexander Zverev.

Swiss Roger Federer, a five-times United States Open champion, will also be absent after the 38-year-old was forced to undergo knee surgery in June which  prematurely ended his 2020 season.

Nine of the top 10 women’s players, including 23-times Grand Slam champion Serena Williams and holder Bianca Andreescu, are on the entry list along with 2018 champion Naomi Osaka.

As many as 13 Grand Slam champions are in the women’s draw.

These include Romania’s Simona Halep, the reigning Wimbledon champion and 2018 French Open winner, and this year’s Australian Open champion American Sofia Kenin.

The United States Tennis Association (USTA) said eight additional wildcard entries would be selected in both the men’s and women’s fields.

Organisers said the seedings would be announced closer to the start of the tournament which is scheduled for Aug. 31.

A number of players are also set to take part in the Aug. 20 to Aug. 28 Western & Southern Open in New York, which serves as a warm-up event for the United States Open.

 

(
Edited By: Olawale Alabi) (NAN)

https://nnn.ng/nadal-to-skip-united-states-open-due-to-covid-19-concerns-as-organisers-announce-entries/

Lokoja tanker explosion: FRSC boss commiserates with victims NCDC reports 111 new COVID-19 cases, total now 57,724 Tinubu commiserates Fayose over sister’s death Don urges labour leaders to shun selfish interest to earn public trust NGO to celebrate 60 outstanding Nigerians at diamond jubilee No gratification to process, effect outstanding payment – PTAD Bwari-Dutse traffic: FCTA to mobilise contractors back to site Ogun community demands king after 15 years of vacant stool  PDP calls for articulate strategies to mitigate flood  Anglican Primate wants programmes to cushion hike in petrol, electricity tariff YouTube reveals top tips of getting most of its music Edo Election: Govs. Buni, Bello meet Ize-Iyamu in Abuja LASG urges small, medium businesses to go digital Plateau teachers decry non-implementation of new minimum wage NASSI seeks more tax, levy waivers for MSMEs Oyo govt. leases Agbowo Shopping Complex, seals 50 years concession with investor United States expresses satisfaction over peaceful conduct of Edo election  CAS inaugurates 11 areospace ground equipment in Benue Engage professionals to make Nigeria work again — Chief Tola Adeniyi Lokoja Explosion: Buhari expresses concern, mourns victims Edo Guber polls: Solace from Gov. Wike paid off – Obaseki Fistula Foundation targets 50 VVF patients in free surgery in Sokoto Buhari greets ex-Abia Dep. Gov., Chris Akomas at 60 Niger Delta communities demand 13% oil, gas derivation funds LASG lists new standard operating procedures for abattoir operations — Commissioner Sweden friendly moved to Russia over virus entry restrictions Ondo poll: Don’t allow crisis to escalate among parties, INEC charges staff Baby factory, child abuse, other similar vices endemic in Enugu State — NAPTIP Court dismisses suit against Zamfara govt over dissolution of LG Chairmen NOTAP calls for more funding for research to accelerate Nigeria’s development Frank de Boer favourite to be named new Netherlands coach Ondo 2020: There is gang up against us — APC spokesman Gov. Lalong condemns murder of traditional leader in Barkin-ladi LGA APC Professionals Forum to partner NAN to achieve FG’s 9-point agenda Gov. Zulum launches 1m trees planting campaign in Borno NPA expects 19 ships with petroleum products, others at Lagos port AFAP pledges to make Lagos food processing hub Bayern Munich, Schalke, Eintracht Frankfurt warned for coronavirus concept breaches Buhari to attend Guinea Bissau National Day Celebration, inaugurate road named after him NAFDAC seals 2 fake drug factories in Kano Group promises to end touting in Abia Magu Probe: group cautions against Malami’s appearance as witness De Bruyne, Lewandowski, Neuer on UEFA player of the year shortlist Mali: Court fixes Friday to hear suit challenging ECOWAS sanctions HP, AUC sign MoU to foster entrepreneurial skills in Africa Gov. Sule approves N300m for payment of gratuities in Nasarawa UK Group supports 100 Nigerian businesses with $425m COVID-19: UNICEF, FG organise stakeholders’ dialogue on safe school resumption  Lagos Govt hands over 51 vehicles, 8 houses to judges NGO tasks farmers on climate smart agricultural practice