Aliyu gave the assurance while on assessment tour of the project on Tuesday in Abuja.
The minister lamented that the five-storey building located at Kaura District of Abuja had only advanced to 20 per cent completion since its commencement in 2015.
She noted that the project fell within the category of one of the abandoned projects in the Federal Capital Territory that needed urgent attention.
According to her, there is a presidential order to complete all abandoned projects.
“This particular project is one of the cases of an abandoned project. President Muhammadu Buhari, from the inception of his administration, vowed to ensure that all abandoned projects are completed.
“We will continue to do our best to enable the contractor do the needful.
“A lot of resources have been committed to this structure and abandoning it at this stage of completion only leads to wastage of government resources.
“We will see what we can do; I am happy the contractor has returned to site with a renewed vigour,” she said.
“In this year’s budget, the project is a priority. I’m impressed with the enthusiasm and capacity of the contractor to do the needful.
“The project requires a budgetary provision to bring it to a logical conclusion.”
The minister also promised that the FCT Administration would ensure that genuine contractors were paid based on the level of work done.
Earlier, Mr Ejike Amu-Nnadi, the Managing Director of Berdotez Associates Ltd, handlers of the project, had assured the minister that the project would be completed in 20 months.
Amu-Nnadi, who thanked the minister for the political will she had demonstrated so far, reiterated the commitment of his firm to deliver “a quality job of international repute”.
“Your commitment has boosted our morale. It has given us the confidence to keep investing.
“This is a very huge project of international repute. We have committed ourselves to diligence at work and steadfastness to make sure that we achieve the 20 months timeline.
“In accordance with our programme of work, we should have rounded off this project. We need your support, commitment and anything that can speed up the work.
“Without you, we cannot achieve it. Without your political will, it will be difficult because this project has suffered a lot of setbacks due to lack of political will.
“With your commitment and political will, we are back to site and we are not stopping until we finish.
“By December, we will come back to show you the progress we have recorded and it will be very impressive.
“We and our partners will make sure that we achieve good results. Your coming here has further boosted our confidence and we will not disappoint you,” he said.
Edited By: Josephine Obute and Ephraims Sheyin
FCTA, NAPTIP sign MoU on women rehabilitation centre
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the centre is located at Sabo-Lugbe in Abuja Municipal Area Council (AMAC), of the territory.
Mr Austine Elemue, Special Assistant on Media to the FCT Minister of State, Dr Ramatu Aliyu, in a statement on Sunday, said the minister presided over the signing of the MoU between FCTA and NAPTIP in Abuja.
She called on both parties to respect the terms and conditions spelt out in the document, adding that the centre would be managed by NAPTIP for a period of two years.
The minister commended the Director -General of NAPTIP, Dame Julie Okah-Donli, for her doggedness in the battle against trafficking in persons.
She stressed the need for collaboration and synergy between relevant agencies in the fight against human trafficking in the country.
“I want to appreciate our sister, the Director General of NAPTIP, who is always there for the plight of the vulnerable women and youths, and anything against their fundamental human rights.
” She goes out of her comfort zone to ensure that none is maligned in the society, today’s event has demonstrated her zeal to look for more decent accommodation for vulnerable women.
“These are all the giant strides of a leader and we appreciate you and your team. Hopefully and sincerely, under two -years period, all that is written here is legally binding on both parties.
‘ And as the one charged with the responsibility to oversee the signing of this document, I sincerely hope that today will mark the beginning of many beautiful things to come,” the minister said .
Aliyu also called on the management of NAPTIP , to ensure that the facility becomes a point to reckon with in the management of vulnerable women and youths.
The minister assured that the facility would provide the needed shelter for those in need.
Earlier, the Director General of NAPTIP, Okah-Donli, also commended the FCT Minister, Malam Muhammad Bello and FCT Minister of State, Dr Ramatu Aliyu, for their support in matters relating to trafficking in persons and other related offences.
She assured the FCT Administration that the collaboration between the two parties would yield positive results, adding that the centre would be a beckon of women rehabilitation and empowerment.
” You have been very supportive to our agency, I want to assure you of this existing synergy and collaboration between my agency and FCTA, it is going to be bigger and better and we are not going to take it for granted.
“I also want to thank you for giving us the opportunity of getting to this stage of signing an MoU.
” Thank you for giving us a facility where women will be rehabilitated and empowered, where children of victims of trafficking, victims of sexual and gender based violence will be empowered and rehabilitated.
Edited By: Ifeyinwa Omowole
NCDC records 189 new COVID-19 cases, total now 57,145
The NCDC made this known on its official twitter handle on Saturday.
“As at Sept. 19, 2020, 189 new confirmed cases and one death was recorded in Nigeria.
“Till date, 57,145 cases have been confirmed, 48,431 cases have been discharged and 1,095 deaths have been recorded in 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory,” it said.
The agency stated that the 189 new infections were reported from 15 states of the federation.
“Lagos (70), Plateau (37), FCT (24), Kaduna (19), Rivers (12), Oyo (5), Ogun (4), Ebonyi (3), Katsina (3), Ondo (3), Osun (3), Imo (2), Yobe (2), Ekiti (1), Nasarawa (1),” it said.
The agency said that cloth masks provide protection when properly worn and cared for.
“Wear mask covering your nose and mouth, handle mask with clean hands and wash cloth face masks after each use.
“MaskOnNaija with other preventive measures. Learn how to make your own face mask: covid19.ncdc.gov.ng/media/files/DI… ,” it advised.
“TakeResponsibility and adhere to all non pharmaceutical preventive measures of COVID-19 if you must travel,“ it said.
Edited By: Tayo Ikujini/Sadiya Hamza
NIDO-Ghana plans webinar to mark Nigeria’s 60th independence anniversary
The Nigerians in Diaspora Organisation (NIDO), Ghana chapter, said on Saturday that it would organise a webinar as part of events to celebrate Nigeria’s sixtieth independence anniversary.
Mr Elija Iposu, Public Relations Officer of NIDO-Ghana, disclosed this in a telephone interview with the News Agency of Nigeria .
Iposu said the event would be organised by NIDO-Ghana in collaboration with a Ghana-based private firm, Diplomats Extra and Milestone Communications.
According to him, the webinar, which will hold on Oct. 2, is a virtual ceremony with Zoom ID: 742450910 and the title: ’60 years of Ghana-Nigeria diplomacy’.
Prof. Bola Akinterinwa, former Director-General Institute of International Affairs, and Amb. Bulus Lolo, former Permanent Secretary of Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Nigeria are among high-ranking personalities expected to participate in the event.
Some other expected guests are Mr Oluwaseyi Adeyemi, Publisher, Inside Watch Africa Magazine, Mr Emmanuel Bombande, UN Senior Mediation Advisor, Prof. Baflour Agyeman-Duah, former UN Special Governance Advisor and Affail Monney, President Ghana Journalists Association.
NAN reports that President Muhammadu Buhari on Sept. 16, unveiled the logo and theme for the 60th independence anniversary celebration.
He said that the celebration would be observed for a whole year, to end on Sept. 30, 2021 and would be muted due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Edited By: Emmanuel Yashim
Barca president Bartomeu says he won’t go to war anymore with Messi
FC Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu says he does not wish to have any more disputes with club captain Lionel Messi.
This was after the Argentina captain reluctantly opted to stay at the club this month after failing to force through a move.
“I won’t get into any conflict with him. He’s our captain and the leader of our team,” Bartomeu said before the team’s 1-0 friendly win over Elche on Saturday.
“I couldn’t let him leave the club. He is the best player of all time and the team needs him. Having Messi is a guarantee of success.”
Messi had complained earlier this month that Bartomeu had not fulfilled a promise to allow him to break his contract unilaterally and leave the club without a transfer fee.
He had also lashed out at the president’s leadership.
But Bartomeu chose not to fire back against Barca’s all-time top goalscorer.
Instead, he praised Messi for turning a page and performing well in the team’s pre-season matches, including scoring twice in a 3-1 win over Girona last week.
“We have seen him do his talking on the pitch and we have moved on from the saga,” Bartomeu added.
“We should congratulate ourselves for getting Messi to stay with us and for how he has behaved in the last few days. The best player in the world should stay at our home.”
Bartomeu has been in the firing line ever since Barca’s historic 8-2 defeat to Bayern Munich in the 2019/2020 UEFA Champions League quarter-finals last month.
He came under renewed pressure after a campaign group gathered over 20,000 signatures from members to force a vote of no-confidence against him.
In compliance with the club’s statutes, Barca are currently validating the votes and if over 16,520 are approved, then a referendum will be held in the next three months.
Two-thirds of 150,000 members are needed to vote against Bartomeu to force his dismissal.
Yet Bartomeu, who will be leaving the role after elections in March regardless of what happens with the motion of censure, ruled out resigning.
“The board and I will keep working to ensure we have the most competitive team possible,” he said.
“We will speak again after validating the votes, but right now no one wants to quit. The club won’t stop and we will keep working, we have lots of issues to sort out.”
Edited By: Olawale Alabi)