Prof. Rasak Bakare, Ekiti Commissioner for Culture and Tourism, says his love for music and dance know no bounds.
Bakare said this on Tuesday in Lagos during a visit to the Chairman of Evergreen Musical Company, Femi Esho, Africa’s largest collector of Highlife music.
“My love for music and dance is not quantifiable, I started my romance with the art at the age of 17 when I premiered in late Hubert Ogunde’s play “Aropin N Teniyan.”
“Our country has a lot of tourism potential and music is an integral part of our cultural life, therefore the onus lies on all of us to promote and preserve our heritage,” Bakare was quoted as saying in a statement issued by Esho.
Bakare lauded Esho’s selfless service in the preservation and promotion of Nigerian music and promised that Ekiti government would continue to collaborate with Evergreen Musical Company.
He said that the nation was endowed with lots of historical assets and tourism potential, with music serving as an integral part of Nigerians’ cultural life.
In his response, Esho thanked Gov. Kayode Fayemi of Ekiti for supporting the 60 years on stage celebration of Nigeria’s Doyen of Highlife music, late Victor Olaiya.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Bakare is Nigeria’s first Professor of Choreography and Performing Aesthetics and a former Dean of Postgraduate School, Federal University, Oye-Ekiti.
Edited By: Chioma Ugboma/Wale Ojetimi
FUOYE pledges to appoint VC, Registrar, others based on merit
The Management of the Federal University, Oye-Ekiti (FUOYE), has assured candidates applying for the Vice Chancellor, Registrar and other positions in the institution of appointments based on merit.
The Deputy Director of Corporate Services of the university, Mr Adeyinka Ademuyiwa, gave the assurance in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria in Oye-Ekiti on Saturday.
He explained that the vacant positions in all the faculties and departments of the university had been advertised for in its website, newspapers and other social media platforms for interested candidates to apply.
Ademuyiwa noted that the position of the vice chancellor and the registrar were esteem offices which would be occupied by persons with high integrity, decency, commitment and love for peace.
“I wish to assure our stakeholders and candidates who have applied for different vacant positions in our university that they will be appointed purely on merit.
“I want to refute all allegations levelled against the vice chancellor and the governing council that they are trying to impose person or persons to fill the position of the vice chancellor and registrar respectively.
“The university Vice Chancellor, Prof. Kayode Soremekun, is a hardworking, diligent, honest and trustworthy gentleman who believes in fairness.
“He is planning to make sure that the peace that he has been sustaining in the university for over four years remains after his tenure ends.
“The vice chancellor is also determined to ensure that nobody is deprived of his or her rightful positions in as much as such person qualifies for the position that he or she applied for,” he said.
Ademuyiwa also said the university’s Governing Council led by Dr Mohammed Yahuza, whom he described as a transparent man, was committed to developing it and making appointments based on merit.
He said the institution’s management was only advising those bent on destroying the good image of the vice chancellor and the institution by spreading false information regarding the recruitment of staff, to stop.
“The door of the corporate services department of the university is always open to anybody who wishes to verify any information regarding the mode of recruiting or any other issue,” he said.
Ademuyiwa, however charged journalists not to allow themselves to be used to spread false information which could destroy the image of the university.
Edited By: Constance Imasuen/Ejike Obeta
Flood: 1 out of 14 passengers rescued in Sokoto mishap
One corpse was recovered out of 14 passengers in a vehicle that plunged into River Rima Bridge, along Tashar Illela on Sokoto-Kware-Illela road in SokotoState, due to flooding.
News Agency of Nigeria recalls that a commercial vehicle, carrying 14 passengers on Thursday, plunged into the river as water submerged the road including the bridge.
He said other officials were from Sokoto State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA) and Transport unions.
He explained that the rescue became tough due to high volume of water that flooded the whole area.
According to him, officials have to seek assistance from construction firms for heavy duty crane, local divers and canoe divers for the mission.
Ambursa said the passenger vehicle involved in the accident was spotted, but however, could not be removed because it was hooked to a deep hole and passing water was still much.
Another rescue official from the federal fire service, Muhammad Jibril, said efforts were still in progress to remove the vehicle along with human bodies.
A local diver, Muhammadu Sada, said they deployed different tactics to save the passengers’ lives, stressing that the high water level contributed to the mission’s difficulties.
Sada explained that the area had not recorded such flooding in a long while and cautioned road users to beware of crossing the bridge because of the magnitude of the flood.
A resident, Maccido Ibrahim, told NAN that the public voluntarily contributed money for local divers.
“We raised N8,000 from the contributions and a philanthropist, Alh. Ahmadu Maidoya, and others contributed about N80,000 for canoe and local divers,” he said.
When contacted, the Public Relations Officer of Sokoto State Ministry of Environment, Malam Abubakar Gani, said the Commissioner, Alh. Sagir Bafarawa, was not in town.
Gani said the ministry and State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA) were aware of the situation, however, could not speak on their contribution to save peoples’ lives, being the responsibility of the ministry.
The PRO assured to update the media on the situation, noting that the ministry had earlier alerted residents on the possibility of the flood and advised people to use alternative routes.
A Public Analyst, Prof. Bello Bada, said the incident portrayed poor training and lack of techniques on disaster management and rescue operations by Nigerian officials.
Bada, from Usmanu Danfodio University Sokoto, said the situations could attract public demonstrations as obtained in other countries where they value human lives.
Edited By: Chioma Ugboma/ Maharazu Ahmed
Foundation donates food, other gifts items to widows in Abuja
News Agency of Nigeria reports that at the maiden edition of the foundation’s meeting on Saturday in Abuja, the widows were full of praises to the foundation.
Major items such as rice, spaghetti, indomie, seasoning, vegetable oil, salt, bread, Ankara materials, shoes and cash were distributed to widows.
Mrs Bukola Adewumi, founder of the SASF, said empowering widows was a dream come through for her, adding that her mother was also a widow and knew what she went through during the period, until she passed on.
”This is like a burden to me, my mother was a widow, I knew what she went through, the struggle and I have nursed this ambition from my university days and also given the little I had then,” she said.
Adewumi said she had been giving her widow’s mite before now, but that it was time to establish a foundation that would be readily available to cater for their needs.
She noted that her greatest joy would be to see the widows smile, stressing that it was the essence of establishing the foundation to assist widows.
According to her, SASF will not only be about sharing food items, but would also ensure that the widows are trained on entrepreneurial skills, in other to have a ready source of livelihood.
She explained that the foundation would acquire land and build a widow’s home, in a bid to have projects running there.
”Whatever money we make as proceeds will be plough back to the widows,” she said.
Adewumi said the foundation would have a data base where the names and details of all widows would be saved, for possible support, adding that widows, who register with her foundation, would no longer be a liabilities.
She then called on public spirited Nigerians to contribute to the foundation in the drive to help the widows out of doldrums, adding that their financial support would help cushion their plight.
Mrs Elizabeth Aledare, a resident of Lugbe Airport road, lauded the foundation, adding that the gesture was a divine intervention for her as she and her children had nothing to eat at the moment.
She said that one of her children was billed to return to school come Sept. 21, but that the fear of getting her food had overwhelmed her, until the foundation intervened.
Aladare, 53, from Kogi, who had been a widow for 12 years, said she would remain grateful for the swift intervention by the foundation.
Mrs Chinese Ozor, one of the beneficiaries, a 40 -year-old widow from Enugu, who lost her husband in 2016, commended the organiser, describing the initiative as a timely intervention.
She said such gesture would linger in her memory, while calling for support from Nigerians for the foundation to be able to reach out to other widows.
Mrs Binta Aminu, another beneficiary, 42, from Katsina, who lost her husband in 2018, said the intervention by the foundation was heartwarming.
Aminu said she could not believe her eyes with the items provided by the foundation, while commending the organiser for the kind gesture.
Mary Adeyemi, 23, from Oyo, who lost her husband in 2019, described the gesture as huge and wonderful.
The young widow urged other public spirited Nigerians to join hands with SASF to reduce the burden of widows in the country.
Edited By: Chinyere Nwachukwu/Felix Ajide
The Smile Attaracts Smile Foundation (SASF) distributing food items on Saturday in Abujahttps://nnn.ng/foundation-donates-food-other-gifts-items-to-widows-in-abuja/
Troops rescue 22 kidnapped victims in Zamfara, Katsina
The Nigerian Army troops of Operation Sahel Sanity fighting banditry and kidnapping in the northwest region have foiled bandits’ attacks and rescued 22 kidnapped victims.
The troops also recovered arms and ammunitions in various operations in Zamfara and Katsina States.
Gen. Bernard Onyeuko, the Acting Director, Defence Media Operations, made the disclosure in a statement issued in Gusau on Friday.
According to him, troops deployed at Moriki and Jangeru, responded to a distress call on Sept. 13, and folied a planned bandits’ attack on Mai-Zuma village in Zurmi Local Government Area of Zamfara.
This, he said, followed severe shoot out along Kayawa axis forcing the bandits to withdraw and abandon three motorcycles recovered by the gallant troops.
Onyeuko said on Sept. 12, troops deployed at Dandume in Katsina State rescued two young girls kidnapped by bandits on August 18, adding that the bandits abandoned the victims after a hot pursuit.
He said that on Sept. 17, troops also rescued 8 kidnapped victims from suspected bandits at Fankama and Sabon Layi area in Faskari LGA of Katsina.
“Troops on patrol at Chabas Chabas, swiftly rescued a truck driver, 11 women and children, on their way to Batsari Market but blocked by suspected bandits along Shimfida – Gurbi Road in Katsina State,” he said.
The Acting Director added that troops deployed at Forward Operation Base (FOB), Dansadau arrested a suspected bandit named Bello Ibrahim riding a motorcycle on his way to Dandalla village.
Onyeuko noted that the troops recovered one Pump Action rifle and three live cartridges from the suspected bandit.
He said: “On Sept. 16, troops deployed in Faskari arrested a suspected bandits’ informant named Isah Indo while spying on troops’ location.
“Following credible information; troops deployed at Yankara arrested a suspected bandits’ collaborator named Idris Isah from Yampa village in Faskari LGA of Katsina, who is engaged in illicit activities with bandits.
“Also on Sept. 16, troops deployed at Magami arrested Yaya Rabiu at Magami checkpoint, the suspect was identified to be a member of a notorious bandit gang.”
According to him, the bandits recently attacked troops location at Ruwandawa-Kwankele village in Gusau LGA of Zamfara.
Onyeuko reiterated commitment of the Nigerian Army to protect lives and property, and urged the people to provide credible information on suspicious movements and persons in their communities.
Edited By: Josephine Obute