The MTN Group on Thursday said it has been named the most valuable African brand in the Brand Finance Africa 150 ranking in 2020.
Its Group Executive, Corporate Affairs, Nompilo Morafo, said the award was ascribed a brand value of 3.3 billion dollars to the group.
Brand value is the net economic benefit that a brand owner would achieve by licencing the brand in the open marker.
In its survey by Brand Finance, it said, “Over the last year, Africa’s largest mobile operator has celebrated solid profits and impressive subscriber growth.”
Morafo said the survey assessed the impact of COVID-19 on the enterprise value of all brands compared to their values on Jan. 1.
It categorised the telecommunications sector as ‘limited impact’, which it said meant “minimal brand value loss or potential brand value growth”.
This was due to the increasingly important role that mobile operators had played in keeping people connected in the time of the pandemic.
He, however, said in July, Brand Finance also named MTN Group the most valuable South African brand.
Morafo said a result of the group’s focussed was on improving the customer’s experience for subscribers.
The company’s group executive said it was uniting 19, 000 employees around a shared belief, saying that everyone deserved the benefits of a modern connected life.
Edited By: Olagoke Olatoye
- Coronavirus – Nigeria: Community informants use mobile data collection tools to strengthen COVID-19 surveillance
- Central African Republic ‘highly unstable’ despite significant progress – UN peacekeeping chief
- Coronavirus – Eritrea: Ministry of Health announcement (February 24, 2021)
- Coronavirus – Ethiopia: COVID-19 update (February 24, 2021)
- Coronavirus – Malawi: COVID-19 update (February 24, 2021)
- FIFA President’s African visits continue
- Coronavirus – South Africa: COVID-19 update (February 24, 2021)
- Coronavirus – Eswatini: COVID-19 update (February 24, 2021)
- Coronavirus – Nigeria: COVID-19 update (February 24, 2021)
- Coronavirus – Uganda: COVID-19 update (February 24, 2021)