Metro

Ministry of Communications wins FG’s 2020 innovation competition prizes

Published

on


The Ministry of Communication on Friday won the first, second and third prizes for the Public Service Innovation Challenge Award Competition, designed to improve service delivery.


The winners were grouped as; Sogunro Onyindamola, Iliya Abdulrahman for the first prize; Winsala Oluwaseun, Ebire Francis for the second prize and Zainab Saka, Tolulope Ibitoye for the third prize.

The winners, who are from the same ministry were awarded N3 million, N1.7 million and N1 million  respectively while consolation prizes were given to other participants.

Dr Folasade Yemi-Esan, Head of the Civil Service of the Federation (HOCSF), who spoke at the occasion in Abuja said that organising such competition was in line with the Federal Civil Service Strategic and Implementation Plan (FCSSIP).

Yemi-Esan said that the initiative was part of the Federal Government`s eight key priority areas to improve on the service delivery by the public servants.

She expressed confident that the initiative would enhance the nation`s future service delivery, while appreciating participants for the exhibition of their skills during the competition,

“The Federal Civil Service Innovation Challenge can be considered as a watershed event heralding a major milestone in our collective movement toward a more innovative public service that provides quality services.

“I wish to also state that with the quality of presentations and interactions witnessed in the competition, I am in no doubt that the public sector as the largest service provider is not deficient of the capacity to deliver on its mandates,” Yemi-Esan said.

She said the countries of the world, including Africa have realised the leverage on innovation for the provision of customers` focus on cost effective services.

She said that innovation in a public sector has become increasing popular around the world as a strategy for improving governance and scaling up service delivery, hence the need for its adoption in Nigeria`s public services.

The HOS said that the competition has equipped the participants with knowledge and presentation skills through innovative interactive tools, such as zoom, slack and Google slide,

She said the tools were deployed globally to address workflow challenges brought by COVID-19.

She, however, expressed optimism that Nigerian public servants would be productively utilizing the skills acquired during the exercise for self development and also able to surmount work challenges.

Mr Babatunde Fashola, Minister of Works and Housing expressed delight over the initiative, saying it would go a long way to provide solutions to some key challenges in the sector.

Fashola, said that civil service was an ancient institution that decided what happens in any government in the world.

He, therefore, challenged the civil servants across board to ensure improving themselves to meet with the global knowledge to improve the public services.

Earlier in her opening remarks, Dr Magdalene Ajani, Permanent Secretary, Service Policies and Strategic Office, office of the HOCSF, described the initiative as means to gain new ideas to improve upon service delivery.

Ajani said that innovation was at the heart of the economic growth of any nation.

She added that the initiative informed the selection of innovation as one of the high impact of the eight priority areas of the 2017 to 2020 (FCSSIP), developed to improve better performance among public servants.

Ms Sogunro Onyindamola, one of the winners who spoke on behalf of other participants expressed gratitude to the federal government for the gesture, saying it would motivate civil servants more in their service delivery.

Edited By: Chinyere Bassey/Sadiya Hamza (NAN)

https://nnn.ng/ministry-of-communications-wins-fgs-2020-innovation-competition-prizes/

COVID-19

E! hosts skip Emmys red carpet after testing positive for COVID-19

Published

on


The E! “Live From the Red Carpet” preshow for the Emmy Awards is missing a couple of key players this year.


During Sunday’s broadcast, Giuliana Rancic and Vivica A. Fox – who were expected to host a portion of E!’s 2020 red-carpet coverage – both announced that they tested positive for COVID-19 and therefore could not emcee the show as planned.

“As I go into my 20th year on the E! red carpet, I have to say I do not take missing an award show lightly.

“But unfortunately, this year is just so different. As part of E! and NBCUniversal’s very strict testing guidelines – especially before an event like this – I did find out that I tested positive for COVID-19.

“As much as I didn’t want to hear that, I’m very thankful I heard it before I traveled and possibly could have exposed other people. As far as my health, I’m doing well,” Rancic said via video chat.

Rancic added that her husband and son also tested positive for the respiratory illness and are “taking care of each other” in quarantine.

“I’m wishing you all the best,” she continued from home, adding:  “Please protect yourselves and protect those around you. Take good care, and I’ll see you on the next red carpet.”

Later, E! hosts Brad Goreski and Nina Parker shared a statement from Fox explaining her own absence.

“I’m terribly sorry I cannot be with my E! family tonight,” the message read.

“Unfortunately I have tested positive for (COVID-19), so in an abundance of caution, I’ve isolated myself at home.

“During these unprecedented times, it’s more important than ever that we follow all safety and health rules and guidelines to protect ourselves and each other. … I look forward to seeing everyone again soon.”

Parker and Goreski – who were originally slated to host the E! “Countdown to the Red Carpet” from 4:30 to 6 p.m. Eastern before passing the baton to Rancic and Fox – simply extended their hosting duties to the “Live From the Red Carpet” telecast.

Edited By: Emmanuel Yashim
Source: NAN

https://nnn.ng/e-hosts-skip-emmys-red-carpet-after-testing-positive-for-covid-19/
Continue Reading

COVID-19

NCDC records 97 new COVID-19 infections, total cases now 57, 242

Published

on


The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has recorded  97 new coronavirus (COVID-19) infections in the country, bringing the total confirmed cases to 57, 242 nationwide.


The NCDC disclosed this on its official twitter handle on Sunday .

It added that three persons died of COVID-19 complications while 138 patients, who recovered at various isolation centres across the country the same day, were discharged.

Based on the figures released, Lagos state recorded the highest number of infections with 46 new cases.

The data released also indicated that Kwara recorded 12 new infections, Rivers 11, and Adamawa 4.

Others were Niger – 4, Ogun – 4, Osun – 4, Ekiti – 3, Imo – 3, Kaduna – 3, Plateau – 2, and Federal Capital Territory (FCT) – 1.

According to the NCDC, the 36 states and FCT have now recorded at least one confirmed case of the virus.

“Till date, 57, 242 cases have been confirmed, 48, 569 cases have been discharged, and 1,098 deaths have been recorded in 36 states and the FCT,” the centre said.

NCDC stated that a multi-sectoral national emergency operations centre (EOC), activated at Level 3, has continued  to coordinate the national response activities across the country.

Edited By: Kamal Tayo Oropo/Emmanuel Yashim
Source: NAN

https://nnn.ng/ncdc-records-97-new-covid-19-infections-total-cases-now-57-242/
Continue Reading

Sport

Golf: DeChambeau muscles his way to United States Open victory

Published

on


A bulked-up Bryson DeChambeau bashed his way to a six-shot United States Open victory on Sunday, silencing any lingering questions as to whether his brawny game could translate to the major stage.


World number nine DeChambeau, who began the day two shots back of United States Open debutant Matthew Wolff, clinched his first major title with a mix of jaw-dropping drives and clutch putts.

He shot a virtually flawless three-under-par 67 to reach six under for the tournament at Winged Foot.

“On nine is when I first thought, ‘OK, this could be reality’,” DeChambeau, speaking during the trophy presentation, said of his mindset after an eagle at the par-five ninth.

“I made that eagle, long eagle putt and I shocked myself by making it, too, and I thought to myself, ‘I could do it’. And then immediately after, I said, ‘nope, you’ve got to focus on each and every hole’.”

Wolff (75), appearing in only his second major, was one shot back of DeChambeau at the turn but fell apart over a back nine that included two bogeys and a double-bogey.

A fearless DeChambeau, whose final round included the eagle, two birdies and a bogey, attacked at every chance.

For his efforts was the only player to break par in the final round as he cruised to a maiden major at his 16th attempt.

The 27-year-old had re-emerged from the PGA Tour’s three-month COVID-19 suspension in mid-June packing serious muscle and hitting a startling distance off the tee.

He attacked Winged Foot all week like few other golfers can.

So confident in his approach, DeChambeau unleashed his driver on practically every par-four and par-five hole as he figured the birdie chances would outweigh the risk that Winged Foot’s nasty rough creates.

DeChambeau grabbed the solo lead after five holes, hit a perfectly-paced 40-foot eagle putt at the ninth to maintain a one-shot cushion.

It was a tournament that came down to a two-horse race between him and Wolff as they made the turn.

The 21-year-old Wolff was bidding to become the first player to win the United States Open on his tournament debut since Francis Ouimet in 1913.

But he bogeyed the 10th and 14th holes, before a double-bogey at 16.

“I battled hard. Things just didn’t go my way,” said Wolff. “But first United States Open, second-place is something to be proud of and hold your head up high for.”

Former British Open champion Louis Oosthuizen (73) birdied the last to finish alone in third-place, a distant eight shots back of DeChambeau.

He was one shot clear of Harris English (73), who made a double-bogey at the first where he lost his tee shot.

Xander Schauffele (74) looked ready to make a back-nine charge after making the turn fresh off back-to-back birdies.

But the world number seven made five consecutive bogeys from the 13th and finished in fifth-place.

Northern Irishman Rory McIlroy (75), who finished in a share of eighth-place, was almost left in a state of disbelief at DeChambeau’s win.

This was given his inaccuracy off the tee at a tournament renowned for its thick rough.

“I don’t really know what to say because that’s just the complete opposite of what you think a United States Open champion does,” said McIlroy.

“Look, he’s found a way to do it. Whether that’s good or bad for the game, I don’t know.

“But it’s just – it’s not the way I saw this golf course being played or this tournament being played. It’s kind of hard to really wrap my head around it.”

 

(
Edited By: Olawale Alabi)
Source: NAN

 

 

https://nnn.ng/golf-dechambeau-muscles-his-way-to-united-states-open-victory/
Continue Reading

General news

Buhari holds closed-door meeting with Ghanaian president at Aso Villa

Published

on


President Muhammadu Buhari on Sunday night met behind closed doors with President Nana Akufo-Addo of Ghana at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.


Bashir Ahmad, the President’s Personal Assistant on New Media, confirmed this on his Twitter handle.

The presidential aide, who could not elaborate on the agenda of the meeting between the two leaders, however, posted pictures in which the Nigerian leader could be seen escorting his guest after the meeting.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the closure of shops owned by Nigerian traders in Ghana had  heightened tensions between the two countries, a situation which led the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama to summon Ghana’s Charge d Affaires to Nigeria, Ms Iva Denoo for discussions.

Onyeama had also met with representatives of Nigerian traders in Ghana, led by Jasper Emenike, the National President of Progressive Ambassadors of Nigeria (PAN), and the organisation’s National Director,  Ruth Ango over the matter.

The Speaker, House of Representatives, Femi Gbajabiamila, had also visited Ghana on Sept. 2 with a view to seeing how the issues at stake could be resolved amicably.

According to the speaker, the closure of the Nigerian shops in Ghana contravenes the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) protocol on free movement of citizens of member states, and trade liberalisation scheme.

NAN reports that the ECOWAS Trade Liberalisation Scheme (ETLS) adopted in 1979 with an agreement on agricultural, artisanal handicrafts, and unprocessed products, and extended to industrial products in 1990, is the main framework for trade and market integration in ECOWAS as it addresses protocols on the free movement of goods, persons, and transportation.

The scheme’s main pursuit of consolidating the free trade area is guided by the National Approval Committee that informs the member states.

Similarly, Article (3) of the Revised Treaty of ECOWAS on trade and market integration stipulates the removal of trade barriers and harmonisation of trade policies for the establishment of a Free Trade Area, a Customs Union, a Common Market and an eventual culmination in to a Monetary and Economic Union in West Africa.

NAN further reports that the Ghanaian government had proposed a meeting between the two leaders prior to the one they held behind closed doors on Sunday.

SYC/

Edited By: Emmanuel Yashim
Source: NAN

https://nnn.ng/buhari-holds-closed-door-meeting-with-ghanaian-president-at-aso-villa/
Continue Reading

7 killed, 4 injured iñ ‘massacre’ in south-western Colombia E! hosts skip Emmys red carpet after testing positive for COVID-19 Vidal lands in Milan to complete move from Barca to Inter Pirlo not out to copy anyone after Juventus’ comfortable opening win Italy votes in referendum on downsizing parliament NCDC records 97 new COVID-19 infections, total cases now 57, 242 Golf: DeChambeau muscles his way to United States Open victory Australian, British citizen killed in Solomon Islands bomb blast Buhari holds closed-door meeting with Ghanaian president at Aso Villa Spanish triathlete grateful for praise after incredible act of selflessness Nasarawa state to host teqball championship in November, official says Djokovic battles past Ruud to reach Italian Open final Rainstorm: Kwara Deputy Governor commiserates with victims BB Naija Evicts Tricky Tee, Ozo Ebonyi bus accident: FRSC, Police confirm 3 more bodies retrieved from river Gov. Matawalle eulogises late Emirs of Biu, Zazzau Atiku Support Groups congratulate Obaseki Edo 2020: Gov. Wike lauds INEC, Police Gov. Bello mourns Emir of Zazzau Health workers suspend 7-day nationwide warning strike Uni-Abuja mourns its chancellor, Emir of Zazzau Edo election: INEC’s result consistent with our PVT outcome, says Yiaga Africa Oghiadomhe describes Edo governorship poll as most credible Kiriji War: Leaders to celebrate 134 years of Yoruba unity INEC commends stakeholders on successful Edo election, focuses on Ondo Survival Fund: FG releases registration schedule as portal opens Monday Osimhen, young lad with head of 40-year-old — Gattuso Edo 2020: NCFront commends security on neutrality, wants more from INEC on logistics Sexual Abuse: Cleric advises parents to pay attention to male children Baby survives, mother dies in Anambra building collapse — Police Edo Poll: APC supporters commend Buhari for providing level playing field 22 parties allege exclusion in Bauchi polls, commission denies Iru land is committed to environmental, national development- Oba Lawal Youths should be drivers of innovation, creativity for a better Nigeria- Ex-VC Bell University  CSR: Dangote Cement commits N4bn to projects in Ogun host communities  Dep. speaker House of Reps mourns Zazzau Monarch Dabiri-Erewa hails Nigerian Ezeajughi’s re-election as UK Mayor, Ajagba’s United States boxing victory Edo 2020: Gov. Emmanuel congratulates Obaseki, urges him to deliver more Renown Ibadan-born businessman, Adegoke joins APC officially in Oyo Schools resumption: Lalong urges parents to teach children COVID-19 safety protocols Obaseki’s reelection is triumph of democracy – Gov. Diri Edo Guber: IPAC commends Buhari, INEC, security agencies over peaceful poll Mane double eases Liverpool to 2-0 win over 10-man Chelsea Buhari sends FG’s delegation for Emir of Zazzau’s burial in Zaria APC rejects result of Edo governorship election Edo poll: Secondus, Peter Obi congratulate Obaseki Petition: Unions pass vote of confidence on VC Senate President mourns Emir of Zazzau Cleric urges Govt. to prosecute fake, fraudulent pastors PDP Govs. congratulate Obaseki, commends Buhari