The highly anticipated Milan derby proved to be an imbalance, as Inter Milan swept away city rivals AC Milan 3-0 on Sunday, with Lautaro Martinez knowing a brace and the Inter goalkeeper Samir Handanovic playing heroism.
It was the most eye-catching Derby della Madonnina in recent years, not only because it was a head-to-head for first place, with just one point separating the two teams, but also because of the clash between Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Romelu. Lukaku, as the Swede was suspected of racially insulting his former Manchester United team-mate in the Coppa Italia quarter-final last month.
Both sides had the choice of a relatively complete squad, with Christian Eriksen nodding in midfield for Inter, while Ibrahimovic led Milan’s starting lineup and goalkeeper Gianluigi Donnarumma scored his 200th. appearance in Serie A.
Inter started strong and broke the deadlock in under five minutes, as Lukaku’s square ball was blocked by Simon Kjaer, but the Belgian followed to float a cross for the unmarked Martinez to direct a header twisted.
For Milan, Theo Hernandez saw his weak right-foot strike whistle past the post, while at the other end Ivan Perisic forced Donnarumma to make a one-handed save, and Martinez’s follow-up exploded in the above the bar.
The Rossoneri got off to an aggressive start after the break, but Handanovic made a series of saves to deny attempts by Ibrahimovic and Sandro Tonali.
But as Milan began to pin them down, Inter scored a second with a well-worked team goal in the 56th minute, as Eriksen’s crossing ball freed Perisic to retreat so Martinez could touch up close.
Lukaku added a sensational third 10 minutes later as the hitman sprinted from midfield before beating Donnarumma with a fierce strike.
With the win, Inter now have a four-point lead over Milan at the top of the Serie A table.
Elsewhere, Napoli fell to seventh after a 4-2 away loss to Atalanta. The Partenopei have been wiped out by injuries lately, and forward Victor Osimhen was stretched in stoppage time after a heads-up clash.
Also on Sunday, Benevento, at 10, held Roma 0-0, while Parma shared the loot with Udinese in a 2-2 draw.
- The Qhubeka ASSOS team excites by igniting the Samyn
- Club Swan offers an alternative solution to buy crypto in Africa
- WFP calls for solution to fuel shortages in Yemen threatening to worsen widespread food insecurity
- Health center rehabilitated, mobile clinics deployed to support the refugee crisis in eastern Sudan
- Coronavirus – Eritrea: Ministry of Health announcement (March 1, 2021)
- Statement by UNICEF Nigeria Representative Peter Hawkins on the release of abducted schoolgirls in Jangebe, Zamfara State, Nigeria
- UNHCR to relocate thousands of Central African refugees to safer places
- Rising violence in Nigeria drives displacement to Niger
- Coronavirus – Uganda: COVID-19 update (March 1, 2021)
- Coronavirus – Sierra Leone: Chinese Ambassador Hu Zhangliang presents COVID-19 vaccines to President of Sierra Leone Julius Maada Bio