Women and Men Against Child Abuse (WMACA) (www.WMACA.org) invites you, the media, to launch an exciting and essential initiative “Women and Men Against Child Abuse – Athletes Against Child Abuse – WMACA AACA ”on April 22, 2021 at 10:00 am.
LAUNCH DATE: APRIL 22, 2021 at 10:00 a.m.
This new division, a first of its kind in South Africa, is an offer of protection, monitoring and accountability for children in South Africa who have been or may be affected by abuse in SPORT.
Our work on the landmark sexual abuse case of Bob Hewitt (former professional tennis player and Grand Slam title holder), the Parktown boy sexual abuse and rape case by the water polo coach ( Collan Rex) and the ongoing sexual abuse at Bryanston High School case by netball coach (Aleshan Moodley), showed the challenges faced by victims, prompting the establishment of this initiative to pledge to make the sport safe for children.
Voices in South African sport have been raised to support this project. Our panel includes Simphiwe Dludlu (Soccer), Olivia Jasriel (Survivor of abuse in Sport), Miranda Jordan (WMACA – Founder), Luke Lamprecht (WMACA – Advocacy) and Babalwa Latsha (Rugby)
In attendance will be Corne Krige (former Springbok Rugby captain), Kalusha Bwalya (former Zambian international footballer), Kgothatso Montjane (tennis), Gert Strydom (professional boxing coach) Tebogo Moloi (football), Cara Frew (equestrian), Sipho Ngwenya (Boxing), Barend van Graan (former CEO of Blue Bulls), Neils Momberg (Cricket) Lwandile Simelane (Chairman of the SASCOC Gender Commission and Ria Ledwaba (Vice-Chairman of SAFA)
Other recommendations include video support from Tendai “Beast” Mtawarira (South African rugby), Benni Mccarthy (South African footballer), Penny Heyns (Olympic 100m and 200m breaststroke holder).
Interviews with invited participants will be arranged after the launch.
Short Link: https://wp.me/pcj2iU-3yZE
- Coronavirus – Kenya: COVID-19 update (May 6, 2021)
- Leadership Centre, UNDP train 5000 civilian JTF in Yobe, Adamawa
- Coronavirus – Ethiopia: COVID-19 cases reported in Ethiopia (May 6, 2021)
- Player fined about N2.5m, banned for slapping opponent
- FROM THE FIELD: Ugandan conflict survivor helps communities find ‘ways forward’
- Former LRA leader, former child soldier, sentenced to 25 years in prison
- Coronavirus – Eritrea: Ministry of Health announcement (May 5, 2021)
- Day of the Midwife: Invest in midwives to save more lives — UNFPA
- Liquid Telecom unveils new identity, Liquid Intelligent Technologies in Botswana as it establishes itself as the digital services partner of choice for African businesses