A man died on Tuesday after being attacked by a shark at a beach on Australia’s Gold Coast, first responders said.
Paramedics treated the man, who was reported to be in his 60s, at Greenmount Beach in Coolangatta around 5 pm (0700 GMT), after he sustained significant leg injuries as a result of a shark bite.
“When paramedics assessed the patient after he was brought to shore, he was sadly declared deceased,” a Queensland Ambulance Services spokesperson said.
The man is believed to have been surfing at the time.
Greenmount Beach, which is near the state border with New South Wales, is protected by shark control nets, local media reported.
Shark attacks on the Gold Coast, which is particularly popular with surfers and divers, are rare.
The last time a surfer was attacked by a shark in the area was at Nobby Beach in 2012, but he survived.
The man will be the seventh person to be killed by sharks in Australian waters so far in 2020, according to Sydney’s Taronga Zoo Shark Attack File.
Its figures showed another six people have been severely injured, making this one of the worst years for shark attacks on record.
Edited By: Emmanuel Yashim/ Maharazu Ahmed
Ex-governor Yari administration diverted N10.8bn for university project – Commissioner
The Zamfara Government has accused the administration of former governor Abdulaziz Yari of diverting N10.8 billion set aside for the state university project.
The State Commissioner of Finance, Alhaji Rabiu Garba, made the accusation at a press conference in Gusau on Tuesday.
However, former commissioner of finance under Yari’s administration, Alhaji dismissed the allegation as politically motivated.
Garba said “based on the records available to us, the past administration in the state had diverted the sum of N10.8 billion from the N37 billion refunded to the state by the federal government for the construction of 14 federal roads.
“We learned that in May 2019, N10.8 billion was transferred to the University’s Projects Account by the past administration in the name of construction of State University.
“The amount was transferred in two tranches, that is N5 billion each, and subsequently N850 million was also transferred to same account on 9th May 2019.
“But instead that the amount transferred to be used for the said project, the money was diverted to other issues that have nothing to do with the university project”, he explained.
Garba dismissed claims that the present administration led by Governor Bello Matawalle is not interested in the completion of the university located in Talata-Mafara.
According to him, those making the claim were not aware that part of the fund for the project was diverted by the past administration.
On whether the state government would continue with the project, Garba said that only the State Executive Council can decide on that.
Reacting, the former Commissioner of Finance, Alhaji Mukhtar Idris denied the allegation.
Idris said the past administration had initiated a Special Account for the State University Project.
He said that projects were executed at the site of the university with part of the money, while a balance was left in the project account.
“Out of the money claimed by the current commissioner of finance, Rabiu Garba about N4 billion was left in the account and they are part of the money inherited by the present administration.
“Let the present administration explain the multibillion naira capital projects executed in the university, Talata-Mafara before going to the media for unclarified claims,” he added.
Idris urged the commissioner to always verify issues before going public.
Edited By: Benson Iziama/Maharazu Ahmed
Oil steady as United States storm eases but demand recovery fears persist
Oil futures were little changed on Tuesday after sharp overnight losses, as the latest tropical storm in the Gulf of Mexico lost strength.
But worries about fuel demand persisted with flare-ups around the globe in coronavirus cases.
Brent crude futures edged three cents 0.1 per cent, lower to $41.41 a barrel at 0637 GMT thus, reversing earlier small gains.
United States West Texas Intermediate (WTI) crude futures for October, due to expire on Tuesday, slipped four cents or 0.1 per cent to $39.27 a barrel.
The more active November contract shed three cents or 0.1 per cent to $39.51.
Crude prices, which fell about four per cent on Monday, won some respite as Texas refineries stayed after a tropical storm was expected to keep losing strength, allaying worries about United States refinery demand for feedstock.
However, concerns about global demand held sway.
“The recovery in sentiment after the rout in risk assets seen a fortnight ago was clearly fragile,’’ said Vandana Hari, an energy analyst at Singapore-based Vanda Insights.
“This week, the market is recalibrating to a likely stalling of the economic recovery in Europe as several countries in the region impose fresh restrictions to contain a surge in the coronavirus.’’
Monday’s price slump was spurred by concerns that an increase in coronavirus cases in major markets could lead to fresh lockdowns and hurt demand.
That raised the possibility that a return of Libyan oil could come when it isn’t needed, as the country looks to ramp up exports.
“We had a pretty punchy risk-off session (overnight) … on fears around the risk that a COVID-19 resurgence starts to have negative impacts on demand again,’’ said Lachlan Shaw, National Australia Bank’s head of commodity research.
Markets are nervous about demand in places like the United Kingdom, where fresh restrictions are being imposed.
United States health officials are also warning of a new wave in the coming winter.
“When the virus resurges, governments lockdown, impose restrictions and individuals and businesses start to retreat.
It’s all bad for demand,’’ Shaw said.
Traders will be watching out for the American Petroleum Institute’s data on United States oil inventories due later on Tuesday.
United States crude oil and gasoline stockpiles likely fell last week, while inventories of distillates, including diesel, were seen climbing, a preliminary Reuters poll showed.
Edited By: Abdulfatah Babatunde
‘Work from home’ – Johnson starts shutting down Britain again as COVID-19 spreads
British Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Tuesday will tell people to work from home where possible and will impose new curbs on bars and restaurants to tackle a swiftly accelerating second coronavirus wave.
According to his office and ministers, with millions across the UK already under some form of COVID-19 restriction, Johnson will tighten measures in England while stopping short of another full lockdown like he imposed in March.
Johnson would hold emergency meetings with ministers, address parliament at 1130 GMT and then speak to the nation at 1900 GMT after government scientists warned that the death rate would soar without urgent action.
According to his office and ministers, just weeks after urging people to start returning to workplaces, Johnson will now advise them to stay at home if they can.
He would also order all pubs, bars, restaurants and other hospitality sites across England to start closing at 10 p.m. from Thursday.
“There is going to be a shift in emphasis. If it is possible for people to work from home, we are going to encourage them to do so,” Michael Gove, the minister for the cabinet office, told Sky News.
The new curbs will restrict the hospitality sector to table service only, though Gove said he wanted those who could not work from home, for example in manufacturing, construction and retail, to continue to work from COVID-secure workplaces.
“Schools will also stay open,’’ he said.
It was unclear if the measures would be enough to tackle Britain’s second wave, which government scientists warned could reach 50,000 new cases per day by mid-October.
The UK already has the biggest official COVID-19 death toll in Europe and the fifth largest in the world, while it is borrowing record amounts to pump emergency money through the damaged economy.
Shares in Britain’s listed pubs and restaurant groups fell sharply on Monday in anticipation of the move.
The move will advance closing times by at least an hour for most areas.
London Mayor Sadiq Khan said he had agreed with local council leaders and public health experts on new restrictions to be put to central government to curb the outbreak in the capital.
Northern Ireland said it would extend existing restrictions in some localities on households mixing indoors across the whole of the province from Tuesday.
While Wales slapped curbs on four more areas.
Scotland said additional restrictions were almost certain to be imposed.
Edited By: Abiodun Oluleye/ Maharazu Ahmed
COVID-19: Organisation to empower 500,000 vulnerable Nigerians
The Project Officer, Health and Education of CEDI, Betty Essien, made this known in a statement issued to newsmen in Abuja.
According to Essien, the aim is to complement the Federal Government’s effort to support Nigerians who need help, especially on COVID-19 pandemic, to reduce the impacts.
“CEDI cannot be silent in this trying time in the country and the world at large.
“To promote clean environment and reduce the negative impact of COVID-19 pandemic even beyond 2020.
“CEDI calls on concerned individuals and institutions to lend a helping hand to those in need to make the world a better place even after the pandemic,’’ she noted.
She said that the organisation also empowered them with workshop and donation of items.
The items include face masks, efficient stoves, briquettes, rice, beans, cassava floor (gari), spaghetti, packets of magi cube, groundnut oil and tomatoes.
Essien said that the project was carried out in Agwan-Tiv community ACO Estate, Lugbe, Abuja to support 80 most vulnerable households, to ameliorate the impact of the pandemic and reduce its spread.
According to her, the 80 beneficiaries comprising men and women are mostly widowers and widows and are being supported through the life-saving project.
“The outbreak of COVID-19 has led to the death of individuals in many countries including Nigeria.
“About 40 per cent of Nigerians live below poverty line of about of 381.75 dollars, equivalent of N137, 430 per year; therefore support not just to individuals, but households,” she added.
She, however, decried global lockdown of business operations, particularly in Nigeria.
According to her, it has negatively impacted on daily-wage workers, especially women who depend on limited financial savings to survive within rural communities.
Edited By: Abiodun Oluleye/Donald Ugwu