No fewer than 16,992 children below the age of five were treated of malaria under the Maternal, New-born and Child Health and Nutrition (MNCHN) project in Adamawa.
The Disease Surveillance and Notification Officer of Fufore Local Government Area, Mr Sa’id Umar, made this known in an interview with the Nigeria News Agency on Monday in Fufore town.
Umar said the children located in hard to reach remote villages were attended to by Resource s) between 2018 and November 2019.
Umar said Fufore has 240 CORPs provided with the necessary training by the Adamawa State Primary Healthcare Agency for testing and managing mild malaria cases.
He said that the CORPs were always armed with malaria drugs, antibiotics and Oral Rehydration Solution to go round house-to-house in the remote areas identifying sick people particularly children.
They treat those with minor illness such as mild malaria, while those with more serious cases and those above five years including pregnant and nursing mothers were referred to the nearest primary healthcare centre.
Corps are also very useful in reporting any strange illness; for instance just recently one of the Corps drew my attention to a sick child with the symptoms of one of those children child diseases and we immediately went into action by collecting sample which has been sent for laboratory test,” Umar said.
While commending the effective role of the CORPs in helping to fight diseases in communities without access to health centres, Umar said that to make them more effective, the CORPs undergo quarterly training to enhance them and have supervisors who monitor them.
Speaking on the activities of CORPs in his community, the village Head of Nafori, Malam Jauro Nafori, said his people were happy and impressed with the role of CORPs in bringing healthcare to their doorsteps.
This programme gives us a sense of belonging and makes us feel the government really care about our healthcare,” Nafori said.
Modibbo Baraya of Janjanre village and Mr Babangida Liman of Mbewere village also lauded the CORP initiative, describing it as one of the most positive government steps in areas of healthcare delivery.
Malam Sa’adu Yuguda, a 28-year-old CORP in Mbewere village, said he has been a proud member of the CORPs for the past two years.
Edited by: Muhammad Suleiman Tola
Pirlo says Suarez unlikely to join Juventus after all
Juventus are unlikely to sign FC Barcelona and Uruguay forward Luis Suarez afterall, coach Andrea Pirlo said on Saturday as he prepared for the start of the new Serie A season.
Pirlo, who replaced Maurizio Sarri last month in spite of having no senior coaching experience, will make his debut at home to Sampdoria on Sunday.
He said Juventus needed a centre-forward but that there was not enough time for Suarez to obtain an Italian passport.
Juventus have already used up their limit of two non-EU signings following the arrival of Brazilian midfielder Arthur and United States international Weston McKinnie.
They will only be able to add Suarez if he can obtain an EU passport.
“We’re all waiting for a centre-forward. There is still a long way to go in the transfer window. So, we’re calm and happy, we’re not in a hurry,” said Pirlo.
“Suarez is difficult because it takes a long time to get the passport. So, it’s unlikely that it could be him”.
Although Suarez is eligible for Italian naturalisation as his wife is a citizen of the country, the process usually takes several years.
This is a detail overlooked in much of the speculation linking him to the Serie A champions over the last month.
Pirlo said Cristiano Ronaldo and Dejan Kulusevski would share the role against Sampdoria.
“Neither Kulusevski nor Ronaldo will start in the classic centre-forward position. They will try to move according to what the other does,” said Pirlo.
“There will be rotations to allow as many people as possible to arrive in the area.”
The 41-year-old said he was relaxed ahead of the new season where he would be expected, at the minimum, to bring Juventus a tenth successive Serie A title.
“After a month of Juve I have no doubts, but many certainties,” he said. “I have fitted in well, now the pitch will do the talking.”
Edited By: Olawale Alabi)
NiMet predicts cloudiness, rains Sunday to Tuesday
The Nigerian Meteorological Agency (NiMet), has predicted cloudiness and rains from Sunday to Tuesday across the country.
NiMet`s weather outlook released on Saturday in Abuja predicted cloudy morning over the north on Sunday with prospects of isolated thunderstorms over Southern Borno, Adamawa and Taraba.
According to it, few thunderstorms are expected over Borno, Sokoto, Kebbi, Yobe, Bauchi, Taraba, Adamawa and Gombe state in the afternoon and evening hours.
“The north central is expected to be cloudy during the morning hours with chances of a few thunderstorms and rains over Abuja, Niger and Benue.
“ Later in the day, isolated thunderstorms and rains are expected to affect Kogi, Abuja, Kwara, Benue and Plateau.
“ Cloudy atmosphere is anticipated over the inland cities of the south west in the morning, while moderate rains are expected over parts of the southeast inland, like Abakaliki, Awka, Cross-River and Imo.
The agency forecast moderate rains over the coastal cities of the south to include the coastal part of Ondo state in the morning.
NiMet predicted few thunderstorms and rains over most parts of the inland with chances of moderate rains over the coastal parts of Cross-River, Akwa-Ibom, and Rivers state in the afternoon and evening periods.
According to NiMet, cloudy skies are anticipated over the north western flank in the morning of Monday with prospects of few thunderstorms over the northeast to affect southern Borno, Adamawa, Taraba and Yobe.
“Progressing into the day, pockets of thunderstorms are expected to affect parts of Yobe, Sokoto, Zamfara, Bauchi and Kebbi in the northwest, while a cloudy atmosphere should prevail over the north east.
“ The north central is expected to be dominated by cloudy atmosphere in the morning with prospects of isolated thunderstorms and rains over Plateau and Benue.
“ As the day progresses, pockets of thunderstorms are expected to affect parts of Abuja, Plateau, Kwara and Niger, “ it said.
It predicted the south to be dominated by cloudy atmosphere in the morning with chances of moderate rains over parts of the inland and coastal cities.
The agency envisaged moderate rains over most parts of the south later in the day.
According to NiMet, thunderstorms are expected to affect some places in the north, like Taraba, southern Sokoto, Gombe, Bauchi and Adamawa in the Tuesday`s morning.
The agency envisaged cloudy conditions over the north with chances of thunderstorms over Taraba in the afternoon and evening periods.
“Isolated thunderstorms and rains are expected to affect places in the north central region, like Niger, Abuja, Benue, Kwara and Kogi in the morning.
“ Later in the day, cloudy conditions are expected to dominate this region with prospects of isolated thunderstorms and rains over Niger and Kwara.
“Cloudy atmosphere is anticipated over most parts of inland of south with chances of moderate rains over Enugu in the morning.
“In the afternoon and evening periods, moderate rains are anticipated over most places, “ it sad.
Edited By: Felix Ajide
Visa Ban: FG says sanctioning electoral offenders disrespectful to Nigeria’s sovereignty
The Nigerian government has said it considers it disrespectful to the Sovereignty of the country for any outside country to apply punitive measures such as visas restriction on its citizens.
The Nigerian government made this known in a statement issued by Mr Ferdinand Nwonye, Spokesperson for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Friday in Abuja.
The News Agency of Nigeria , reports that this comes as a response to the recent announcement of the United States and the United Kingdom to impose visa restrictions on those who undermine electoral processes.
The Nigerian Government said it was committed to providing all necessary logistic, financial and security support to the electoral process.
“The Ministry of Foreign Affairs wishes to state that the Nigerian government has taken note of the concerns of some of our partners, especially the United States and UK governments regarding the elections in Edo and Ondo States.
“They have also expressed their intentions to take punitive measures against those who decide to, in what they termed as, undermine democracy.
“It is important to highlight that the responsibility for the conduct of elections in Nigeria solely resides with the Independent National Electoral Commission and State Independent Electoral Commissions.
“The Federal Government, and especially the President, is committed to providing all necessary logistic, financial and security support to the electoral process.
“The President has continually urged all parties and contestants to peacefully conduct themselves before, during and after the elections, and supported patriotic non-governmental initiatives such as the Abdusalami Abubakar-led Peace Committee.
“Furthermore, it should be noted that there are ample provisions in our laws to sanction violators and perpetrators of electoral violence and fraud.
“It would be considered disrespectful of the sovereignty of Nigeria for any outside authority to sit in judgment over the conduct of our citizens and apply punitive measures such as visa restriction, unilaterally.
“While we appreciate the support and encouragement of our international partners such as the EU, we urge our equally valued partners such as the UK and United States to cooperate with our relevant agencies,” the government said.
The government called on the partners to support security agencies by providing them whatever concrete evidence of observed misconduct to allow our laws and regulations to take their course.
The Nigerian government also expressed solidarity with the government and people of the United States as regards their forthcoming election, which it hoped would be free from interference and violence.
Edited By: Abiemwense Moru/Donald Ugwu
COVID-19 FG will support MSMEs with N75bn loan — DG SMEDAN
The Federal Government will support Micro Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) with N75 billion survival fund to cushion the negative effects of COVID-19 pandemic on small businesses.
Alhaji Dikko Radda, Director-General, Small and Medium Enterprises Development Agency (SMEDAN), dislosed this during the closing of National Business Skills Development Initiative (NBSDI) in Katsina on Friday.
The SMEDAN boss said that the N75billion survival loan would support 500,000 MSMEs and 333,000 artisans across the country.
He pointed out that the implementation of the N75 billion MSMEs Survival Fund nationwide would help to cushion the negative effects of COVID-19 pandemic on small businesses.
He explained that NBSDI was designed to provide entrepreneurship skill and empowerment material (equipment) to bridge the capacity gap of the youth.
According to him, the programme is also aimed at enhancing youth engagement in productive ventures, thereby ensuring that they become independent.
“The initiative is designed to ensure that more professional services will be provided by local and well trained young artisans leading to reduction in job losses to immigrants from neighbouring countries.
“It further seeks to pursue a drastic reduction in poverty as most of the our of youths who still rely on stipends from parents are empowered to become self – reliant,” Radda said.
The DG announced that the National Business Development Initiative was being implemented in seven states of the federation.
There are Katsina, Rivers, Delta, Ebonyi, Adamawa, Niger, Lagos, Kwara, Bauchi , Zamfara and Ekiti where a total of 1,397 entrepreneurs will benefit from the programme.
Edited By: Chinyere Nwachukwu/Wale Ojetimi