The Nigerian Content Development and Monitoring Board (NCDMB), Seven Up Bottling Company and ASUU, Port Harcourt zone, have donated food items, drinks and sanitiser to the vulnerable in Bayelsa.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the items were donated on Tuesday in Yenagoa, to the Bayelsa COVID-19 Task Force led by Gov. Douye Diri, for onward distribution to the people.
The board donated 70 kegs of 20-litre vegetable oil, 350 bags of rice, 175 carton of tomatoe paste, 35 kegs of 20-litre red oil, 70 bags of beans and 35 bags of garri.
Other items included 35 packets of Maggi seasoning, 70 small bags of salt and 35 bags of sugar, amongst others.
Presenting the items, Mr Simbi Wabote, Executive Secretary, NCDMB, said that the donation was to cushion the effect of the lockdown in the state on the people, especially the vulnerable.
Wabote, represented by Dr Patrick Obah, Director, Planning, Research and Statistics, NCDMB, noted that the board had earlier donated two ambulances and medical supplies to the state government.
The executive secretary said that COVID-19 pandemic had presented a challenge to humanity and called for collaboration among stakeholders to tackle the menace.
“The time we are in calls for a show of solidarity with the people of the state.
“The Management of NCDMB has decided to support the Government of Bayelsa in two key areas; one is to strengthen the capacity of the health sector to prevent the spread of coronavirus.
“The second is to assist the people, especially those that survive on daily pay, who have been directed to stay at home to prevent the spread of the virus.
“It is not easy to ask people to stay at home without making provisions, and at a time like this we have to show solidarity with the Bayelsa government and the people,” he said.
In the same vein, Seven Up Bottling Company has donated a truckload of table water and soft drinks to the state government for distribution to the vulnerable.
Also, the Port Harcourt zone of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) has donated 500 bottles of 100 ml of hand sanitiser as well as posters to assist the government in the fight against COVID-19.
Edited By: Joe Idika/Ejike Obeta (NAN)https://nnn.ng/lockdown-board-asuu-donate-food-other-items-to-the-needy-in-bayelsa/
NIDO-Ghana plans webinar to mark Nigeria’s 60th independence anniversary
The Nigerians in Diaspora Organisation (NIDO), Ghana chapter, said on Saturday that it would organise a webinar as part of events to celebrate Nigeria’s sixtieth independence anniversary.
Mr Elija Iposu, Public Relations Officer of NIDO-Ghana, disclosed this in a telephone interview with the News Agency of Nigeria .
Iposu said the event would be organised by NIDO-Ghana in collaboration with a Ghana-based private firm, Diplomats Extra and Milestone Communications.
According to him, the webinar, which will hold on Oct. 2, is a virtual ceremony with Zoom ID: 742450910 and the title: ’60 years of Ghana-Nigeria diplomacy’.
Prof. Bola Akinterinwa, former Director-General Institute of International Affairs, and Amb. Bulus Lolo, former Permanent Secretary of Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Nigeria are among high-ranking personalities expected to participate in the event.
Some other expected guests are Mr Oluwaseyi Adeyemi, Publisher, Inside Watch Africa Magazine, Mr Emmanuel Bombande, UN Senior Mediation Advisor, Prof. Baflour Agyeman-Duah, former UN Special Governance Advisor and Affail Monney, President Ghana Journalists Association.
NAN reports that President Muhammadu Buhari on Sept. 16, unveiled the logo and theme for the 60th independence anniversary celebration.
He said that the celebration would be observed for a whole year, to end on Sept. 30, 2021 and would be muted due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Edited By: Emmanuel Yashim
Edo election: Why collation is delayed — INEC
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) says that delay in the receipt of collated results of the governorship election from local government areas in Edo has delayed the collation at the state level.
INEC National Commissioner May Agbamuche-Mbu announced this on Sunday in Benin.
Agbamuche-Mbu, INEC commissioner incharge of Edo, Bayelsa and Rivers, is the commissioner overseeing the Edo election.
Addressing newsmen and party agents at the state collation centre, INEC headquarters, Benin, she said that results were still being expected from the 18 local government areas of the state.
She said: “This is to inform you all that we are still waiting for results from the local government areas.
“I am sorry we have to wait before we start collation. Only one local government has arrived in the centre.
“We are going to wait until at least, when results from seven local government areas arrive in the centre before we start.
“We do not want anybody to cast aspersions on us. So we are going to wait,”.
Edited By: Kevin Okunzuwa/Kayode Olaitan
COVID-19: Lagos govt reopens cinemas, gyms
The Lagos State Government on Saturday permitted the reopening of cinemas and gyms, with a maximum of 33 per cent occupancy.
Gov. Babajide Sanwo-Olu said this during the 18th update on the management of coronavirus in the state.
Sanwo-Olu said that in October, the state government would announce the decisions regarding the reopening of other sectors of the economy.
”Dear Lagosians, henceforth, cinemas and gyms are permitted to reopen as soon as possible, with a maximum of 33 per cent occupancy.
”This means that there must be a minimum of two empty seats between occupied seats; and in the case of gyms, there must be constant disinfection of machines and equipment throughout the course of the day.
”Next month, October, we will announce the decisions regarding the reopening of other sectors of the economy: night-clubs, bars, event centres, spas, public parks and so on.
”For now, these will continue to remain closed, until fixed plans for reopening are announced in October 2020,” he said.
Accordings to him, places of worship are also permitted, while the mosques to resume their five times a day prayers; the churches are permitted to resume their mid-week services.
”We must not forget that the coronavirus pandemic is still very much with us, and we must therefore strive to prioritise the safety of all our children, teachers, parents, and the entire society.
”All of these resumption guidelines and protocols must be strictly adhered to by the various stakeholders,” he said.
Sanwo-Olu said that the state government was committed to continuing the maintenance of a balance between the safety of lives and the sustenance of livelihoods.
He said that the state would continue to make adjustments as required, but the gradual resumption of social, educational and economic activities must never be taken as an excuse to let down the guard against the pandemic.
According to him, some parts of the world are seeing a resurgence of infections, and rising possibilities of the kind of hard lockdowns being experienced a few months ago.
”Let me make it clear that if we do not continue to maintain our guard, and sustain the adherence to all required protocols and guidelines, we will find ourselves in a situation where fresh lockdowns are inevitable.
”The only way to avoid this is to continue to act responsibly: maintain the required levels of hygiene, through regular handwashing and use of sanitisers, wear masks in all public places, avoid non-essential public gatherings, and maintain the prescribed levels of physical distancing at all times,” Sanwo-Olu said.
Edited By: Tayo Ikujuni/Wale Ojetimi
Ebonyi Bus Plunge: FRSC confirms 14 corpses retrieved from river
The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) in Ebonyi has confirmed the retrieval of 14 corpses from the Akeze-Ukwu river after a Mercedes Benz 608 model bus plunged into it on Friday evening.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the bus was conveying members of a particular church who attended their pastor’s burial and were returning to Enugu when the incident occurred.
The bus driver was said to have lost control of the vehicle while trying to overtake an articulated vehicle on the bridge but five victims were rescued unconscious on Friday.
“Seven males and seven females, all adults were inside the vehicle all and they were all dead.
“Their corpses have been deposited at the Mater Misericordae Hospital, Afikpo, but both professional divers from Port Harcourt and the local ones are still searching for more victims,” she said.
Uchegbu said that with five persons rescued on Friday and 14 corpses retrieved on Saturday, it was clear that there more victims still missing.
“This sums to 19 recovered persons as against the expected 32 passengers on board the bus.
“The FRSC personnel are still on ground, maintaining free flow of traffic with the road cordoned to motorists since Friday,” she said.
Chief Onyebuchi Ogbadu, Chairman of Ivo Local Government Area (LGA) of the state, disclosed that the state government hired divers from Rivers and Cross River to assist in the rescue efforts.
“The divers located the bus inside the river, pushed it to enable the crane pull it from the river,” he said.
Sources close to NAN revealed that the driver was one of the persons rescued on Friday and he disclosed when he regained consciousness that 32 persons were inside the bus.
“The driver said he managed to dive from the bus as it plunged into the river,” the source claimed.
Edited By: Peter Ejuiofor)