The claimants had through their Counsel, Kelvin Agbroko, prayed the court for an award of N1 billion only and an unreserved apology to be published in her blog and two national newspapers amongst others.
Garuba pleaded that her client only knew of the matter on Thursday night through the social media.
She, however, begged the court for an adjournment to enable them file motion for extension of time for them to file their statements of defence.
Justice Daibo-Harriman, however, adjourned till May 27, for the defendant to file and move their motion for extension of time to enable them file their statements of defence.
Responding shortly after proceedings, Agbroko told newsmen that he was happy with the Court’s decision and the appearance of the defendant.
“The matter can now be heard on its merit. Let’s hear both sides and at the end, the court will take its decision,” Agbroko said.
The claimants counsel had earlier alleged that Ikeji on Oct. 19, 2021 published in her blog an article in which she defamed his clients by referring to them as ‘Black Axe’, calling them names different from their organisation.
According to him, “The name of the organisation is NBM of Africa, she also called them criminals in the said publication.
“When my clients got wind of the publication, they consulted me and we put up a demand letter of retraction and apology. But she neglected and refused to do the needful.
“After several reminders and upon expiration of the letters, the organisation decided that a libel suit be filed against her.
“This suit will be an eye opener to all bloggers who do not verify facts before publishing, when the trial starts, the whole details will be unfolded.
“The matter first came up on Jan. 24, and she has failed to put up appearances and a defence.
The matter has had three adjournments,” he said.
- Ooni urges Oyetola to rely on divine success for his second term
- Average price for 5kg cooking gas increases to N3,800.47- NBS
- Primary : Atiku visits Gombe, confident of PDP delegates’ support
- Ondo assembly passes 2022 OSOPADEC budget into law
- Okada ban: Lagos Govt. says June 1 deadline won’t stop enforcement
- Gov. Ugwuanyi sets up, operationalises 10 type-3 PHC centres in Enugu – ENS-PHCDA boss
- WHO urges increased surveillance as COVID-19 cases rise in Americas
- Mali’s withdrawal from G5 Sahel, Joint Force ‘a setback’ for the region
- FG committed to protecting Nigerians from harmful use of data- Pantami
- CAN, JNI pledge support as FG conducts headcount for teachers, pupils
- Delta traditional rulers to partner CSOs to deepen gains of MDGs
- I’ll complete airport, school projects before leaving office – Fayemi
- ASUU Strike: NANS protests in Ekiti
- British Council to establish Arts, Culture Academy in Nigeria
- Africities 2022 Summit: Backbone of the continent, intermediary cities absorb most of the urban population growth, according to a report co-led by the African Development Bank
- Lagos govt., Polaris Bank unveil N1bn fund to empower artisans
- Nigeria reiterates commitment to implementing GCM agreement in New York
- Okada ban: Lagos residents express divergent views
- Perm Sec. harps on need to revive lost cultural values, traditions
- Businessman arraigned for alleged importation of fake drug
- Enugu: No life lost, nobody injured in Emene incident – Police
- FCTA demolishes over 30 houses in Trademore Estate Lugbe, over flooding
- Salami Panel: Magu will still be prosecuted if indicted despite promotion – Minister
- African Energy Week (AEW) Releases First Video for its Energy Investment Drive
- Troops recover guns, ammunition from insurgents enclave in Imo – Army spokesman
- Couple charged with involuntary manslaughter of housemaid knows fate July 7
- FG, Netherland to intensify efforts at curbing environmental hazards in Nigeria
- Investigating Policy and Business Requisites to Boost Hydrocarbon Investment in Africa
- NGO canvasses for more awareness on laws against SGBV in grassroots
- Agroforestry, Land Use policy to address land degradation – Minister
- African Energy Week calls for nominations to its world-renowned African Energy Awards
- Managing internal boundary crisis key to sustainable development — Ondo deputy governor
- Digitalisation will make public service smarter, faster — Akeredolu
- 25 ships discharge petrol, other items at Lagos ports
- Smart Africa Digital Academy (SADA) Launches its National Digital Academy in Ghana
- Army boss calls for civil society involvement in tackling insecurity
- 10th Youth Development Webinar Program 2022 “Building Youth Resilience: Transition to Green Economy and Beyond”
- Buhari’s support gave me political glory – Bauchi governor
- ICT: NCC begins awareness creation on safety, security for girls
- WHO authorises China’s CanSinoBIO Covid-19 vaccine
- Court permits landlord to break open, change locks on tenant’s door
- Sanwo-Olu describes RANAO as vanguard association for national development
- Africa Hospitality Investment Forum (AHIF) Returns to Morocco
- Community leader, 2 others docked for alleged intimidation
- Zamfara APC holds mini delegates conference
- Indonesia lifts palm oil export ban after protests
- Three Professors Win 2022 Islamic Development Bank (IsDB) Prize for Impactful Achievement in Islamic Economics
- CSO to support implementation of $700m W/Bank water project in Nigeria
- Organisation reels out interventions to discourage irregular migration in Nigeria.
- Don tasks govt. on geriatric database