Education

Kwara poly Rector not suspended–Management

Published

on


The management of Kwara  Polytechnic, Ilorin, says the state government has not suspended its Rector, Abdul Muhammed.


A statement by the institution’s Head of Information and Publication Division, Mr Ajibola Jimoh, on Friday described the report as false and a mischievous attempt to denigrate the person of the rector and bring the polytechnic into disrepute.

He said the purveyors of the report attempted to present the rector as a candidate of the immediate past administration in the state.

“The rector’s appointment was approved and ratified by the present governor, Mallam AbdulRahman AbdulRasaq, in November 2019, several months after the expiration of the tenure of the last administration,” he said.

He clarified further that the rector had never been a politician and was until his appointment, the Deputy Rector (Administration) with the Federal Polytechnic, Offa, where he worked and resided.

“It also suffices to clarify that the polytechnic has not awarded any major contract since his assumption of  office.

” Issues of contract awards are the prerogatives of the Polytechnic Tenders Board and the Finance and General Purposes Committee,” Jimoh said.

Jimoh urged members of the public to be conscious of the hate news being spread by those envious of the giant strides recorded by the polytechnic under the present leadership.

“They are envious of the strides we have made, especially the  intervention projects designed and fabricated to assist the state government in its commendable efforts to flatten the curve of COVID– 19 pandemic in the state,” he added.

(
Edited By: Chioma Ugboma/Mufutau Ojo) (NAN)

 

https://nnn.ng/kwara-poly-rector-not-suspended-management/

General news

AbdulRazaq updates Buhari on Kwara flood disaster, seeks FG support  

Published

on


Gov. AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq of Kwara has updated President Muhammadu Buhari on the havoc wreaked by flood in the state, saying over 15,000 people had been displaced as a result of the disaster.


Speaking to State House correspondents on his mission to the Villa, on Tuesday in Abuja, the governor said he met with the president to request for Federal Government assistance for the victims of the disaster.

He, therefore, urged the federal government to come to the aid of the displaced persons, saying property and farm products worth about N10billion had been damaged or destroyed as a result of the disaster.

The governor expressed the hope that the assistance if granted would help to ameliorate the sufferings of the people of state, who are victims of flood disasters this year.

“I came to see the president, among other things, to discuss ecological and developmental issues.

“Over the weekend, we had huge rainstorm that destroyed about 5,000 houses in the State capital. We had huge flooding in Kwara North and the bank of River Niger.

“There are a lot of internally displaced people in the State capital. The State needs assistance to abate the crisis.

“We have about 5,000 houses and thousands of hectares of farmland that are under water. Close to about 10,000 to 15,000 people are already displaced so far. So, it’s straining the State’s economy.

The governor, however, expressed the hope that the state would witness bumper harvest this farming season in spite of the reported flood in the state.

He said: “Luckily for us, we did two cycles of rice farming in the affected areas. We are hoping to do three cycles. Yes, there is huge impact.

“We are expecting bumper harvest this season, especially with the federal government’s intervention in the agricultural sector.”

Edited By: Felix Ajide
Source: NAN

 

https://nnn.ng/abdulrazaq-updates-buhari-on-kwara-flood-disaster-seeks-fg-support/
Continue Reading

Politics

Kwara Assembly urges Gov AbdulRasaq to assist rainstorm victims

Published

on


The Kwara House of Assembly on Tuesday urged Gov. AbdulRahman AbdulRasaq to provide immediate succour and other relief materials to thousands of residents of the state whose houses and valuables were destroyed by rainstorm.


 

The house made the call in Ilorin in its resolution after adopting a matter of urgent public importance on the havoc caused by Sunday’s rainstorm.

 

The matter, which was raised by the House Leader, Abubakar Olawoyin-Magaji, enjoyed the support of members at plenary.

 

In his submission, Olawoyin-Magaji said that the level of damage caused by the rainstorm to several houses in various parts of the state capital was enormous.

 

Apart from damaged houses and valuables, Olawoyin-Magaji said the rainstorm also damaged several electric poles and cables, causing blackout in several parts of the state capital.

 

The Speaker, Mr Yakubu Danladi, while reading the resolution of the house, charged the state government to liase with the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), toward providing succour to the affected rainstorm victims.

BEKl/

Edited By: Moses Solanke/Donald Ugwu
Source: NAN

https://nnn.ng/kwara-assembly-urges-gov-abdulrasaq-to-assist-rainstorm-victims/
Continue Reading

Sport

Sunshine Stars unveil Ogunbote as new Technical Adviser

Published

on


The Ondo State Football Agency (ODSFA), managers of Sunshine Stars Football Club of Akure, on Tuesday unveiled Gbenga Ogunbote as the club’s new Technical Adviser.


Tajudeen Akinyemi, Chairman of ODSFA, while unveiling him in Akure said Ogunbote’s choice was arrived at after considering his vast experience from managing several clubs in the country.

He said the target set for the coach was to return the club to playing in continental competitions like he did during his first spell with them.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Ogunbote had worked with Sunshine Stars as assistant coach to the late Solomon Ogbeide before becoming Head Coach from 2011 to 2012.

“We have been trying to get him for some seasons ago now, even before I was appointed. But luckily for us, we now have him here,” Akinyemi said.

After his unveiling,Gbenga Ogunbote thanked all those who prevailed on him to return to the team.

Ogunbote said he would need all the necessary support like he got during his first spell to ensure all the spelt-out goals were achieved.

“When we were here during my first spell, Sunshine Stars were ranked third best in Africa. But the reverse is the case now. We can make it back.

“But all hands must be on deck. We (coaches) can’t do it alone.

“The management must make funds available at all times, (and) it is the duty of coaches to ensure that they encourage the management to do more. For it to end in praise, we must do our bit.

“During the first period I was around, it would not have been a beautiful one if not for the support I was given. God has used me to earn six tickets to play on the continent across various clubs in the last eight years.

“The question we must ask is what we had done then that is not being done now. We must review all.

“The secret to failure is to want to please everybody. It is not just about stepping on toes at times, you have to cut some to be successful,” he said.

Speaking also, the Chairman of Ondo State Football Association, Dele Ajayi, urged the club management and the Technical Adviser to see the Football Association (FA) as partners in progress.

NAN reports that Ogunbote has worked at Enyimba International, Rangers International, Shooting Stars, Kwara United, Gateway United, Giwa FC and Sharks FC.

GSD/

(
Edited By: Olawale Alabi)
Source: NAN

https://nnn.ng/sunshine-stars-unveil-ogunbote-as-new-technical-adviser/
Continue Reading

Sport

Lack of fans will be devastating for many clubs, official says

Published

on


Government’s decision to halt the return of fans to sports events in Britain could have a devastating impact on the football industry, Tranmere Rovers chairman Mark Palios says.


The move, which was announced on Tuesday, was made because of a surge in COVID-19 cases.

After a difficult year caused by the pandemic, clubs were looking forward to having 25 to 33 percent capacity crowd back from Oct. 1.

But British Prime Minister Boris Johnson confirmed on Tuesday that would be postponed, perhaps for as long as six months.

While Premier League clubs enjoy huge broadcasting revenue, further down the football pyramid match day revenue is vital to keep club finances turning over.

“It’s not entirely a surprise, but it is going to be a devastating blow for an industry that’s already been really struggling with the COVID pandemic,” Palios said.

“There were a lot of things that made the football industry unique and a lot of clubs were already having financial difficulties before this pandemic started and this may sadly tip some of them over the edge.”

While Palios insists fourth tier Tranmere can ride out the crisis, he fears many clubs will not.

“There are other clubs who were living (from) hand to mouth before this started and I fear this may be the nail in the coffin for some of them,” he said.

A coalition of more than 100 sports bodies had called on Monday for emergency funding in the light of the expected development.

These include the tennis, cricket and rugby governing bodies, as well as the Premier League.

Steve Evans, manager of third tier Gillingham, said Premier League clubs should help.

“We do need the Premier League or government, or whoever it is, to step in and help out football clubs that would go to the wall if that is not forthcoming,” he said.

“We have waited long enough. It is time for the Premier League to help us.”

The Football Supporters’ Association said fans felt safer in football stadiums than in other social situations that remain largely unaffected by the government’s rule-tightening.

“Feedback from our members at test events has confirmed high levels of compliance with all the health and safety measures put in place,” FSA chief Kevin Miles said.

“Having fans at games is of course not only important to the lives of supporters, it is also crucial to the survival of so many clubs who play a crucial role within their communities.”

Gloucester Rugby Club chief executive Lance Bradley said the news was disappointing after his club ran a successful pilot programme last week with 1,000 fans at Kingsholm for a game.

“Everyone at Kingsholm on Monday was socially distant. So, they were no closer to anybody than they would be if they went to a park or anywhere else outside,” he said.

(
Edited By: Olawale Alabi)
Source: NAN

https://nnn.ng/lack-of-fans-will-be-devastating-for-many-clubs-official-says/
Continue Reading

Ministries of Interior, Transportation, others make presentations at 16th virtual FEC meeting Flood: SEMA to train 3,000 volunteers for disaster response in Kaduna New NSCDC Commandant assumes duty in Minna France to support Mali’s power transition on ECOWAS terms – official NEMA distributes relief materials to flood victims in Kebbi Germany’s Roman Catholic bishops face calls for equal rights Covenant University appoints Williams as Acting Vice- Chancellor Ex-CBN director lauds CBN on benchmark interest rate reduction Philippine military, police disown accounts shut down by Facebook New Niger NSCDC Commandant assumes duty in Minna PDP commiserates with Fayose over sister’s death 2020 NSF: Ondo coach vows to retain male volleyball title BBNaija 2020: Presenter reveals how winner will emerge New born baby found dead in gutter in Nasarawa State Coalition commends Buhari for signing Police Bill 2020 into law CLO urges INEC to consolidate on gains of Edo polls Sen. Gyang describes assassination of Plateau traditional ruler as barbaric, devilish Buhari describes death of 2 Borno Emirs as “rare double tragedy” , painful loss Zamfara seeks whereabouts of N37bn refund on executed FG projects EU executive to propose overhaul of migration and asylum system Oil down after United States crude inventories rise against expectations Malaysia opposition leader Ibrahim says seeking to form new government Damilare, Christiana emerge winners in Big Dreams Nigeria talent show NCDC announces 176 new COVID-19 infection in Nigeria UNGA Debate: Buhari urges global action against small arms S/Arabia to allow Umrah pilgrimage to resume from October – Report UNGA Debate: Buhari advocates uninhibited supply of safe coronavirus vaccines to all Nigeria High Commission in Canada reopens after six-month closure President Buhari’s UNGA75 National Statement Olowu condoles with COAS, says Col. Bako’s death a national tragedy 9 energy firms get $2.6m USAID grant to power rural clinics in Africa FCTA reiterates commitment to job creation through agriculture value chain Sanwo-Olu charges cabinet, officials to brace up for optimum performance I never accused NAN staff of fraud, says Lagos NUJ Chairman Navy deploys 6 warships for special military operation in 4 states Obiano inaugurates 18-member task force on human trafficking, irregular migrationar migration Buhari congratulates Plateau Dep. Gov. Tyoden at 70 Barbados tourism expert advises African operators on innovation Ramaphosa urges UN to take decisive action against racism Ex-governor Yari administration diverted N10.8bn for university project – Commissioner  Buhari consoles with Borno on loss of two Emirs Suspect wanted by FBI for $6m scam surrenders to EFCC — Official Lagos govt to train medical records personnel for effective service delivery AbdulRazaq updates Buhari on Kwara flood disaster, seeks FG support   Flood: NASG distributes relief materials to victims in 45 communities UN commends FG on improvement of humanitarian access in North-East Gov. Ganduje inaugurates NYSC governing board 8 states yet to implement new minimum wage – TUC COVID-19: We’ve flattened the curve, says Gov. Ganduje Silverbird Group to establish cinema outlets in Ebonyi