Kenyan investigators have summoned 40 people for questioning after a
of criminal investigations has said.
Domestic media reports said 10 billion shillings (100 million dollars) had been stolen through fictitious
invoices, and multiple payments on one supplier invoice, at the NYS.
The reports have dismayed many Kenyans, particularly as it follows another scam at the agency, which is supposed
to equip the young with key skills and help create jobs, back in 2015.
government officials and business people who had been paid by the agency for supplying various goods and
services, calling the issue a “scam” and a “fraud”.
“It is massive theft of public funds,” he said, without giving an exact figure for the lost funds.
“Our aim is to have anybody who is involved in theft of public funds to answer and if possible to return
what they have stolen from the public.”
The head of the NYS, Richard Ndubai, and a top official at the ministry of public service, youth and gender
services, Lillian Mbogo-Omollo, stepped aside from their jobs temporarily on Friday to give space to
investigators, the presidency said.
The investigation by the DCI was expected to be concluded soon.
“Within three, four, five days, you will see us in court,” Kinoti said.
Ndubai and Mbogo-Omollo were not immediately available for comment.
In spite of pledges when he was first elected in 2013 to crack down on corruption, critics say President Uhuru Kenyatta
has been slow to pursue top officials, adding that only big-name convictions will break what they call a
culture of impunity.
Kenyatta has blamed lethargy on the part of some government agencies tasked with fighting corruption for the
There have not been any significant convictions of the people involved in the theft of funds at the NYS in
2015 in spite of several prosecutions taking place in court.
Short Link: https://wp.me/pcj2iU-2QGl
- Coronavirus – Ethiopia: COVID-19 update (April 20, 2021)
- Senate approves N1.678trn revenue target for NCS
- Coronavirus – Malawi: COVID-19 update (April 20, 2021)
- CAF: NPFL Forum congratulates Ikpeazu and NFF for Enyimba’s charter flight agreement
- Coronavirus – Kenya: COVID-19 update (April 20, 2021)
- Coronavirus – Eritrea: Ministry of Health announcement (April 20, 2021)
- Coronavirus – Namibia: COVID-19 update (April 20, 2021)
- Coronavirus – Gambia: COVID-19 update (April 20, 2021)
- African air ministers adopt common position on international travel