White House press secretary Jen Psaki has bid farewell to the White House press corps, standing in the Press Briefing Room for the last time on Friday.
She was in the Briefing Room facing questions on crises old and new, foreign and domestic.
The outgoing press secretary addressed the baby formula shortage and gun violence, immigration and war.
She also addressed the journalists seated and standing before her. “You have challenged me. You have pushed me. You have debated me — and at times we have disagreed.
“That is democracy in action,” she said.
Psaki acknowledged that her plans to “keep it together” were being undone in the moment.
She thanked President Biden, first lady Jill Biden, her colleagues at the White House and the journalists in the press corps.
Her successor, Principal Deputy Press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre, watched from a chair alongside several of her loyal deputies in the White House communications department.
Jean-Pierre, 44-year-old daughter of Haitian immigrants, making history as the first black woman, will replace Psaki.
She is a long-time advisor to President Biden, having served in senior communication and political roles in the Biden Administration, the Biden campaign, and to then-Vice President Biden in the Obama Administration.
Jean-Pierre served as Regional Political Director for the White House Office of Political Affairs during the Obama-Biden administration and as Deputy Battleground States Director for President Obama’s 2012 re-election campaign.
Previously, she worked at the Centre for Community and Corporate Ethics, pushing major companies to change their business practices, and is a published author.
Born in Martinique and raised in New York, Jean-Pierre is a graduate of Columbia University.
- 2023: I’ll declare National Security Emergency on inauguration day if elected— Hayatu-Deen
- PDP Primary: Stakeholders urge NWC to respect will of Anambra people
- Fashola seeks public collaboration on road safety, infrastructure protection
- APC constitutes 61-member campaign council for Ekiti State governorship election
- If elected, I will implement a blue print for the immediate growth of Delta – APC female aspirant
- Environmentalists fault EU’s alternative to Russian Gas instead of renewables
- Zamfara APC reconciliation not on personal interest, says ex Gov. Yari
- Experts, veterans charge journalists on professionalism
- Nigeria, others review progress on global migration compact
- NAF free medical outreach excites Kaduna residents
- Ooni urges Oyetola to rely on divine success for his second term
- Average price for 5kg cooking gas increases to N3,800.47- NBS
- Primary : Atiku visits Gombe, confident of PDP delegates’ support
- Ondo assembly passes 2022 OSOPADEC budget into law
- Okada ban: Lagos Govt. says June 1 deadline won’t stop enforcement
- Gov. Ugwuanyi sets up, operationalises 10 type-3 PHC centres in Enugu – ENS-PHCDA boss
- WHO urges increased surveillance as COVID-19 cases rise in Americas
- Mali’s withdrawal from G5 Sahel, Joint Force ‘a setback’ for the region
- FG committed to protecting Nigerians from harmful use of data- Pantami
- CAN, JNI pledge support as FG conducts headcount for teachers, pupils
- Delta traditional rulers to partner CSOs to deepen gains of MDGs
- I’ll complete airport, school projects before leaving office – Fayemi
- ASUU Strike: NANS protests in Ekiti
- British Council to establish Arts, Culture Academy in Nigeria
- Africities 2022 Summit: Backbone of the continent, intermediary cities absorb most of the urban population growth, according to a report co-led by the African Development Bank
- Lagos govt., Polaris Bank unveil N1bn fund to empower artisans
- Nigeria reiterates commitment to implementing GCM agreement in New York
- Okada ban: Lagos residents express divergent views
- Perm Sec. harps on need to revive lost cultural values, traditions
- Businessman arraigned for alleged importation of fake drug
- Enugu: No life lost, nobody injured in Emene incident – Police
- FCTA demolishes over 30 houses in Trademore Estate Lugbe, over flooding
- Salami Panel: Magu will still be prosecuted if indicted despite promotion – Minister
- African Energy Week (AEW) Releases First Video for its Energy Investment Drive
- Troops recover guns, ammunition from insurgents enclave in Imo – Army spokesman
- Couple charged with involuntary manslaughter of housemaid knows fate July 7
- FG, Netherland to intensify efforts at curbing environmental hazards in Nigeria
- Investigating Policy and Business Requisites to Boost Hydrocarbon Investment in Africa
- NGO canvasses for more awareness on laws against SGBV in grassroots
- Agroforestry, Land Use policy to address land degradation – Minister
- African Energy Week calls for nominations to its world-renowned African Energy Awards
- Managing internal boundary crisis key to sustainable development — Ondo deputy governor
- Digitalisation will make public service smarter, faster — Akeredolu
- 25 ships discharge petrol, other items at Lagos ports
- Smart Africa Digital Academy (SADA) Launches its National Digital Academy in Ghana
- Army boss calls for civil society involvement in tackling insecurity
- 10th Youth Development Webinar Program 2022 “Building Youth Resilience: Transition to Green Economy and Beyond”
- Buhari’s support gave me political glory – Bauchi governor
- ICT: NCC begins awareness creation on safety, security for girls
- WHO authorises China’s CanSinoBIO Covid-19 vaccine