Foreign

Japan’s Suga is voters’ favourite as opposition picks new leader

Published

on


Japanese Government spokesman, Yoshihide Suga, is the voters’ favourite to succeed Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, according to a poll published by the daily Mainichi Shimbun on Thursday, amid speculation over an early general election.


About 44 per cent of respondents, asked whom they would pick as Abe’s successor, said they would choose Suga, while 36 per cent favoured former Defence Minister Shigeru Ishiba.

Suga held a clearer lead among supporters of the leading Liberal Democratic Party (LDP).

The poll, taken by the newspaper and Social Survey Research Centre, is the latest to show the chief cabinet secretary as the most popular candidate among ordinary voters.

The LDP leadership election will be held on Sept. 14, with LDP lawmakers and regional party representatives, casting votes.

The winner – who will serve the rest of Abe’s term as party chief, which ends in September 2021 – is virtually assured of becoming premier because of the LDP’s majority in parliament.

The surge in the popularity of Suga, who has served as the chief cabinet secretary under Abe and has said he would pursue his boss’s key policies, is stoking speculation about a snap election for parliament’s lower house as early as next month.

No election is mandated until October 2021, but Suga may call a vote while his ratings are high to try to improve his chances of winning a full three-year term as party leader next year.

Defence Minister Taro Kono, in an online event sponsored by a United States think tank, said on Wednesday an election was expected “probably sometime in October”, domestic media reported.

Talk of a general election has added urgency to efforts by the fragmented opposition to unify, pushing the centre-left Constitutional Democratic Party of Japan (CDPJ) to merge with former colleagues in the Democratic Party for the People (DPP).

The two groups emerged when the Democratic Party of Japan, which held government from 2009-2012, split in 2017.

On Thursday, the new party picked CDPJ leader, Yukio Edano, as its leader and voted to retain the CDPJ label for the new party.

Edano urged the government to open an extra session of parliament for debate but added: “If for their own selfish reasons they run away from this, we will face them head-on and give the people a choice’’.

The new CDPJ will have 149 incumbent members of parliament, compared with the LDP’s nearly 400.

Support for the LDP dwarfs that for the new opposition group, although the merger has improved its backing.

A Kyodo news agency survey, released on Wednesday, showed 48.1 per cent would vote for the LDP against 15.7 per cent for the merged party, up from just four per cent, who backed the CDPJ in a recent poll.

AIB

Edited By: Abdulfatah Babatunde
Source: NAN

https://nnn.ng/japans-suga-is-voters-favourite-as-opposition-picks-new-leader/

Sport

Pirlo says Suarez unlikely to join Juventus after all

Published

on


Juventus are unlikely to sign FC Barcelona and Uruguay forward Luis Suarez afterall, coach Andrea Pirlo said on Saturday as he prepared for the start of the new Serie A season.


Pirlo, who replaced Maurizio Sarri last month in spite of having no senior coaching experience, will make his debut at home to Sampdoria on Sunday.

He said Juventus needed a centre-forward but that there was not enough time for Suarez to obtain an Italian passport.

Juventus have already used up their limit of two non-EU signings following the arrival of Brazilian midfielder Arthur and United States international Weston McKinnie.

They will only be able to add Suarez if he can obtain an EU passport.

“We’re all waiting for a centre-forward. There is still a long way to go in the transfer window. So, we’re calm and happy, we’re not in a hurry,” said Pirlo.

“Suarez is difficult because it takes a long time to get the passport. So, it’s unlikely that it could be him”.

Although Suarez is eligible for Italian naturalisation as his wife is a citizen of the country, the process usually takes several years.

This is a detail overlooked in much of the speculation linking him to the Serie A champions over the last month.

Pirlo said Cristiano Ronaldo and Dejan Kulusevski would share the role against Sampdoria.

“Neither Kulusevski nor Ronaldo will start in the classic centre-forward position. They will try to move according to what the other does,” said Pirlo.

“There will be rotations to allow as many people as possible to arrive in the area.”

The 41-year-old said he was relaxed ahead of the new season where he would be expected, at the minimum, to bring Juventus a tenth successive Serie A title.

“After a month of Juve I have no doubts, but many certainties,” he said. “I have fitted in well, now the pitch will do the talking.”

(
Edited By: Olawale Alabi)
Source: NAN

 

 

https://nnn.ng/pirlo-says-suarez-unlikely-to-join-juventus-after-all/
Continue Reading

Sport

Reed grabs halfway lead, as Tiger misses cut at United States Open

Published

on


Former Masters champion Patrick Reed put his sterling short game on display to grab the United States Open halfway lead on Friday.


Tiger Woods finished well outside the cut in windy conditions which humbled many of the game’s top golfers.

Reed only hit five fairways on a tough scoring day at Winged Foot but made a slew of stunning recoveries.

He then needed only 25 putts en route to an even-par 70 that left him at four under on the week and one shot clear of Bryson DeChambeau (68).

“I feel like the game is where it needs to be. I feel good,” said world number 10 Reed. “I just need to tighten a few things up here or there, but the short game is sharp, and when I play around a place like this, that’s what you need.”

Reed, who started the day one shot back of overnight leader Justin Thomas, grabbed the outright lead with a birdie on his final hole, the par-five ninth.

That was where his shot from a greenside bunker settled five feet from the cup.

Unlike the first round when 21 players finished under par in soft conditions, Winged Foot proved a much sterner test on Friday.

DeChambeau, Bubba Watson (69) and Hideki Matsuyama (69) were the only players from a 144-player field to break par.

DeChambeau, who has turned heads this year with his new physique and prodigious length off the tee, went out in the morning wave.

He muscled his way around a scorecard-shredding Winged Foot course like few others can.

The world number nine finished his round with a monstrous eagle at the par-five ninth hole where, after a 380-yard drive, he stuffed a pitching wedge to six feet.

“Confidence is at an all-time high right now, driving it well, iron play is fantastic, wedging is getting better each and every day, and I’m putting it like I know I can,” said DeChambeau, whose best major finish was a share of fourth place at this year’s PGA Championship.

Thomas (73), Spain’s Rafa Cabrera Bello (70) and Harris English (70) were all two shots off the pace heading into the weekend.

This was a tournament that was originally scheduled for mid-June but postponed because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Masters champion Woods (77) missed the cut for the eighth time in his last 15 majors after a round during which he made five bogeys and two double-bogeys over a miserable 11-hole run.

“Physically it was frustrating that I didn’t drive the ball as well as I needed to,” said Woods.

“Iron play was pretty much the way it has been. It’s been good, and I finally putted well. But on this golf course it’s imperative that you hit fairways, and I did not do that.”

Phil Mickelson’s latest bid to complete the career Grand Slam of golf’s four majors fell apart as the six-times runner-up carded a 74

He missed the cut after posting one of the worst 36-hole scores of his major career.

Among the others to miss the cut were defending champion Gary Woodland, PGA Championship winner Collin Morikawa, and top-20 players Tyrell Hatton, Tommy Fleetwood, Matthew Fitzpatrick and Justin Rose.

(
Edited By: Olawale Alabi)
Source: NAN

 

https://nnn.ng/reed-grabs-halfway-lead-as-tiger-misses-cut-at-united-states-open/
Continue Reading

Foreign

Visa Ban: FG says sanctioning electoral offenders disrespectful to Nigeria’s sovereignty

Published

on


The  Nigerian government has said it considers it disrespectful to the Sovereignty of the country for any outside country to apply punitive measures such as visas restriction on its citizens.


The Nigerian government made this known in a statement issued by Mr Ferdinand Nwonye, Spokesperson for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Friday in Abuja.

The News Agency of Nigeria , reports that this comes as a response to the recent announcement of the United States and the United Kingdom to impose visa restrictions on those who undermine electoral processes.

The Nigerian Government said it was committed to providing all necessary logistic, financial and security support to the electoral process.

“The Ministry of Foreign Affairs wishes to state that the Nigerian government has taken note of the concerns of some of our partners, especially the United States and UK governments regarding the elections in Edo and Ondo States.

“They have also expressed their intentions to take punitive measures against those who decide to, in what they termed as, undermine democracy.

“It is important to highlight that the responsibility for the conduct of elections in Nigeria solely resides with the Independent National Electoral Commission and State Independent Electoral Commissions.

“The Federal Government, and especially the President, is committed to providing all necessary logistic, financial and security support to the electoral process.

“The President has continually urged all parties and contestants to peacefully conduct themselves before, during and after the elections, and supported patriotic non-governmental initiatives such as the Abdusalami Abubakar-led Peace Committee.

“Furthermore, it should be noted that there are ample provisions in our laws to sanction violators and perpetrators of electoral violence and fraud.

“It would be considered disrespectful of the sovereignty of Nigeria for any outside authority to sit in judgment over the conduct of our citizens and apply punitive measures such as visa restriction, unilaterally.

“While we appreciate the support and encouragement of our international partners such as the EU, we urge our equally valued partners such as the UK and United States to cooperate with our relevant agencies,” the government said.

The government called on the partners to support security agencies by providing them whatever concrete evidence of observed misconduct to allow our laws and regulations to take their course.

The Nigerian government also expressed solidarity with the government and people of the United States as regards their forthcoming election, which it hoped would be free from interference and violence.

Edited By: Abiemwense Moru/Donald Ugwu
Source: NAN

 

 

https://nnn.ng/visa-ban-fg-says-sanctioning-electoral-offenders-disrespectful-to-nigerias-sovereignty/
Continue Reading

Defence/Security

Kidnappers free ex-US Army officer in Ekiti

Published

on


After four days in captivity, a former officer of the United States army and native of Ijan Ekiti in Ekiti, Mr Jide Ijadare, has been released by his abductors.


Ijadare was kidnapped about 2.05p.m on Tuesday at his palm oil producing factory on Tuesday alongside one of his staff.

A contractor working with the factory was also shot dead by the assailants.

A family source told journalists that Ijadare regained freedom after paying the ransom demanded by the kidnappers.

The source said the abductors had called few hours after the incident and demanded for N20 million ransom.

“My brother was released this afternoon around 4.15 p.m and he has reunited with the family,” he said.

The Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Mr Sunday Abutu, confirmed that the victims had been freed

He, however, said that the police were not aware of any ransom being paid before the release.

“We are not aware of any ransom being paid.

” We believe he was released after the pressure the security agencies and local hunters had put on them by combing the surrounding bushes,” he said.

(
Edited By: Mufutau Ojo)
Source: NAN

https://nnn.ng/kidnappers-free-ex-us-army-officer-in-ekiti/
Continue Reading

Bye-elections: 12 candidates jostle for Lagos East, 8 for Kosofe Constituency II Liverpool sign Portugal winger Jota from Wolves Police in Anambra arrest 3 suspects for alleged abduction, rape of job seeker Spurs sign Bale on loan, Reguilon on permanent deal Vulture Day: NCF advocates Vulture Conservation World Clean Up Day: NGO tasks Lagos residents on cleaner, greener environment Ondo Gov’s wife registers market women for democratic dividends Ebonyi Bus Plunge: FRSC confirms 14 corpses retrieved from river Crawford University appoints new V-C, other principal officers Edo 2020: Gov. Tambuwal lauds Buhari on statesmanly call, directive LASG seals 3 illegal container terminals, 19 additional contravening buildings Pirlo says Suarez unlikely to join Juventus after all NiMet predicts cloudiness, rains Sunday to Tuesday FG disburses N24m loan to 2,400 entrepreneurs in Sokoto 2023: NYC urges Gov. Umahi to consider running for Presidency Anambra FA Caretaker Committee enrolls club owners in health insurance scheme “Its your portion to die,’’ Clergyman tells Christians La Liga: Villarreal record 2-1 win over Eibar Hertha Berlin crush Werder Bremen 4-1, as Cologne, Stuttgart lose Leeds United hang on to win 7-goal thriller with Fulham Lagos to transform  judiciary infrastructure Polaris Bank appoints Segun Opeke as Executive Director Edo poll: APC chieftain commends electoral process Wrap-up: An overview of Edo governorship election  Edo 2020: Sorting, counting of votes start Edo election: No offender will go unpunished, police warn Ekiti Police slam N5m on wanted man over alleged robberies, kidnappings World Bank Projects: Zamfara Gov’t tasks communities on maintenance  Military arrest 11 suspected members of a cult group in Jos FG seeks collaboration with Agric stakeholders to curb post-harvest losses LASG seeks quality healthcare service for increased patients’ patronage NPA expects 13 ships with petroleum products, others at Lagos port EPL: Rodriguez, Calvert-Lewin shine as Everton batter 10-man West Bromwich Albion Lawyer advocates leadership training for youths 3-storey school  building collapses in Lagos Edo election: Security team investigates reports of gunshots Edo poll: Gov. Obaseki faults INEC preparations Flooding: Kebbi Gov’t assures farmers on dry season farming FUOYE pledges to appoint VC, Registrar, others based on merit Minister, senator commend INEC on Edo election Electorate, observer commend conduct of election in Edo Zamfara APC: Sen. Marafa’s loyalists react to expulsion of Sirajo Garba, 125 others Flood: 1 out of 14 passengers rescued in Sokoto mishap  Edo Election: European Centre decries non-compliance to COVID-19 protocols Edo election: FRSC certifies 496 vehicles to convey electoral materials, personnel Gov. Ganduje urges Muslims to pray for peace, stability Edo 2020: Card Readers fail to authenticate fingerprints in Esan West, Central Rivers: NEMA engages stakeholders on flooding challenge Foundation donates food, other gifts items to widows in Abuja Nasarawa APC pass Vote of Confidence on Gov Sule