The Italian government on Monday proceeded with a new phase of lockdown for more than 40 million people due to the increase of the coronavirus (COVID-19) in the country.
With the exception of Sardinia, where virtually no restrictions apply, all Italian regions are subject to the moderately strict rules of an orange zone according to the Italian color code system, or the more stringent lockdown rules of a red zone.
In addition to the economically strong Lombardy with its metropolis of Milan and Lazio with its capital Rome, Veneto and Emilia Romagna also fall into the red zone.
People there are only supposed to leave their homes in urgent cases, like shopping, emergencies, or work.
Outdoor sports are only allowed on their own. Students must resume their lessons via the Internet.
“Distance learning has become unbearable for me, especially after being allowed to have face-to-face lessons again,” said a student from Rome.
In view of the Easter holidays, the government of former head of the European Central Bank (ECB) Mario Draghi has already decided on Friday that the red zone will apply to the whole country between April 3 and 5.
More recently, the coronavirus pandemic had worsened in the country of 60 million people, with new infections increasing daily and incidence values increasing weekly.
So far, more than 102,000 people have died from infection with the coronavirus, and authorities have recorded more than 3.223 million cases.
The rules now in force were decided “according to the principle of the greatest caution”, said the expert of the Ministry of Health, Franco Locatelli, in an interview with Monday’s edition of the newspaper Corriere della Sera.
The goal, he said, was to be in a better epidemiological situation after Easter. Health comes first, even if a socio-economic crisis prevails, Locatelli explained. (dpa / NAN)
I like loading …
Short Link: https://wp.me/pcj2iU-3yj5
- LASG to partner German firm on agribusiness
- Kano Govt to inaugurate waste recycling project, create 4,000 jobs –official
- FG delegation to visit Ghana over Nigerian/Ghanaian traders’ conflict
- NGX opens week upbeat with N59bn growth
- Kwara launches interest-free loans for young entrepreneurs
- Only FG can guarantee financial autonomy for judiciary, says SAN
- FG declares Wednesday, Thursday, as Public Holidays to mark Eid-eI-Fitr celebration
- Army debunks alleged deployment of only Northern officers to S/East
- Buhari congratulates designer of National Flag, Michael Akinkunmi at 85