The ministry said in a statement that Rory Young was part of a group that on Monday morning was attacked by unknown assailants in the eastern part of Burkina Faso.
The statement said that the Foreign Affairs Minister Simon Coveney learned of Young’s death “with deep dismay’’ and that he condemns in the strongest possible terms the actions of those who are responsible for this attack.
Yong was the co-founder and president of an anti-poaching organisation called Chengeta, according to the Irish Times.
A day earlier, Spanish Foreign Minister, Arancha Laya had confirmed the death of the two Spanish journalists, saying the site of the attack was in a dangerous area, a field of action for terrorist groups, poachers, criminals and jihadists.
According to Spanish media the journalists had been part of a group of correspondents accompanying officials from Burkina Faso’s environmental protection agency and the military during an operation targeting poachers.
The convoy of about 40 people was attacked by an unidentified armed group on the road between the cities of Fada N’Gourma and Pama in the south-east of the country on Monday evening, according to the reports.
One Burkinabe was reportedly kidnapped or injured during the attack.
The western African country is located in the Sahel, where several terrorist groups were active, some of which have pledged allegiance to the Islamist militias al-Qaeda and Islamic State.
Burkina Faso has seen a significant increase in terrorist attacks since 2015. (dpa/NAN)
Short Link: https://wp.me/pcj2iU-3zgi
- APC will take over Rivers Govt House in 2023- State Chairman
- Coronavirus – Nigeria: COVID-19 case update (May 7, 2021)
- FRSC enjoins passengers to caution reckless drivers
- Coronavirus – Daily update of the state of COVID-19 statistics in Zambia (May 7, 2021)
- Atiku mourns ex-Minister of Women Affairs, Alhassan
- Bird flu: Bauchi govt. kills about 27,000 birds to curtail spread
- Heirs Oil & Gas announces the appointments of its CEO and Board of Directors
- NCDC records 39 new infections, zero death
- Victor Campenaerts warming up for the Giro d’Italia time trial on Zwift