The ministry said in a statement that Rory Young was part of a group that on Monday morning was attacked by unknown assailants in the eastern part of Burkina Faso.
The statement said that the Foreign Affairs Minister Simon Coveney learned of Young’s death “with deep dismay’’ and that he condemns in the strongest possible terms the actions of those who are responsible for this attack.
Yong was the co-founder and president of an anti-poaching organisation called Chengeta, according to the Irish Times.
A day earlier, Spanish Foreign Minister, Arancha Laya had confirmed the death of the two Spanish journalists, saying the site of the attack was in a dangerous area, a field of action for terrorist groups, poachers, criminals and jihadists.
According to Spanish media the journalists had been part of a group of correspondents accompanying officials from Burkina Faso’s environmental protection agency and the military during an operation targeting poachers.
The convoy of about 40 people was attacked by an unidentified armed group on the road between the cities of Fada N’Gourma and Pama in the south-east of the country on Monday evening, according to the reports.
One Burkinabe was reportedly kidnapped or injured during the attack.
The western African country is located in the Sahel, where several terrorist groups were active, some of which have pledged allegiance to the Islamist militias al-Qaeda and Islamic State.
Burkina Faso has seen a significant increase in terrorist attacks since 2015. (dpa/NAN)
Short Link: https://wp.me/pcj2iU-3zgi
- Coronavirus – South Africa: COVID-19 Statistics in South Africa (May 11, 2021)
- Netflix acquires Mekwunye’s film “One Lagos Night”
- Coronavirus – Kenya: COVID-19 update (May 11, 2021)
- UK seeks tariff exemption on solar equipment
- The newest TECNO CAMON 17 Pro has raised the bar for selfie smartphones, allowing users to express themselves creatively in their own way
- “About a Boy” the winner of the Nollywoodweek Film Festival 2021
- Energy Capital & Power Confirms High Level Sponsors for South Sudan Oil & Power 2021 Event
- APC Edo felicitates with Muslims on Eid-el Fitri
- Eid el-Fitr: A time to renew Nigeria’s pact with destiny – PDP