Foreign

Iran calls on Trump to address Iranians with respect, not threat of war

Published

on



Iran calls on Trump to address Iranians with respect, not threat of war

Address

But in a sign of brewing confrontation a year after Washington quit world powers’ 2015 nuclear deal with Iran and reimposed sanctions on it, Tehran announced a fourfold increase in its rate of low-grade uranium enrichment.

Tensions between Washington and its Sunni Muslim Gulf Arab allies on one side and Tehran and its Shi’ite Muslim proxies in the region on the other have been flaring for weeks.

On Sunday, Trump tweeted: “If Iran wants to fight, that will be the official end of Iran. Never threaten the U.S. again!”

Iranian Foreign Minister, Mohammad Zarif replied on his twitter account “Never Threaten An Iranian. Try respect—it works!”

Zarif, who was educated in the U.S. actually praised Trump for earlier remarks seen as cautioning hawks in his administration, who were encouraging conflict.

The president “rightly deplores ‘military-industrial complex’ pushing U.S. #ForeverWars,” Zarif wrote on Twitter.

But he said Trump had allowed a “B-team” of aides led by National Security Advisor John Bolton to “trash diplomacy”.

He accused them of “milking despotic butchers via massive arms sales”, an apparent reference to Iran’s main regional foe, Saudi Arabia, Washington’s biggest arms buyer.

Trump has tightened economic sanctions against Iran, and his administration says it has built up the U.S. military presence in the region.

It accuses Iran of posing threats to U.S. troops and interests. Tehran has denied this, describing U.S. moves as “psychological warfare” and a “political game”.

Britain told Iran on Monday not to underestimate the resolve of the U.S., warning that if American interests were attacked then the Trump administration would retaliate.

The foreign minister of Oman, a Gulf Arab state that in the past helped pave the way for negotiations between Iran and the U.S., visited Tehran on Monday.

Yousuf bin Abdullah addressed regional and international issues with Zarif, Iranian state news agency IRNA said, without elaborating.

Quoting an official at the Natanz enrichment plant, the semi-official Tasnim said Iran was accelerating the rate at which it refines uranium to 3.67 per cent fissile purity, suitable for civilian nuclear power generation.

The move came two weeks after Iran, acting after Trump reimposed sanctions aimed at blocking all Iranian oil exports to cripple its economy, declared it would scale back some commitments under the accord it signed with six world powers.

Under the 2015 deal, the Islamic Republic was allowed to stockpile a maximum of 300 kg of low-enriched uranium, and ship any excess out of the country for storage or sale.

Iran said this month that cap no longer applied in response to the unilateral U.S. withdrawal from the deal.

Trump has condemned the accord, signed by his predecessor Barack Obama, as flawed for not being permanent and for not covering Iran’s ballistic missile programme and role in conflicts around the Middle East.

Behrouz Kamalvandi, spokesman for the Atomic Energy Organisation of Iran, told Tasnim that the UN atomic watchdog, the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), had been notified about the move to step up the enrichment rate fourfold.

“It won’t be long until we pass the 300-kg limit of low enriched uranium. So it’s better for the other side to do what it’s necessary to be done,” Kamalvandi said, alluding to steps by other powers to shield Iran’s economy from U.S. sanctions.

He said the acceleration of Iran’s centrifuge enrichment machines remained within the bounds of the nuclear deal, and Tehran had no intention to exit the accord.

It was not clear how far Iran’s current stock of low-enriched uranium was from the 300-kg limit.

Under the deal Iran may enrich uranium to 3.67 per cent purity – far below the 90 per cent of weapons grade, and also below the 20 per cent level to which Iran refined uranium before the deal.

https://nnn.ng/iran-calls-on-trump-to-address-iranians-with-respect-not-threat-of-war/

AFAN chief explains reasons for rising cost of food items All Chinese townships, villages connected to passenger coach services — Ministry NGO calls for provision of wheelchair ramp at public event centres to promote social inclusion UAE plans to land spacecraft on moon in 2024 British PM promises ‘lifetime skills’ in jobs recovery plan Lagos lawyers advocate for robust Bar-Bench relationship in new legal year Philippines accuses Facebook of censoring pro-government content Macron meets exiled Belarusian opposition leader in Lithuania CEO of Lufthansa subsidiary Swiss steps down Gymnastics: Getting back to fitness a challenge since COVID-19- Ocheke Lagos by-election won’t be an easy ride for APC- NRM Beijing reports no new COVID-19 cases Spain to extend COVID furlough scheme until January 2021 Nigeria @ 60: CLO calls for socio-economic justice for all Nigerians Hungary PM calls for resignation of EU Commissioner over ‘derogatory’ remarks Nigeria records 136 new COVID-19 cases, total cases now 58,460 United States-based Nigerian professionals reach out to the homeless   FOREX: CSOs urges CBN to ensure level playing ground for oil marketers Army pledges support to Borno govt relocation, resettlement of IDPs Durban to host historic 2023 ITTF World Table Tennis Racism: Call out a negative behaviour when you see it happening, Samoura says  Buhari salutes Adebayo Adelabu at 50 Serena digs deep to find way past Ahn into second round Don’t lose faith in us, TUC begs Lagos residents Why Nigeria must remain united — Akande   Lalong inuagurates Abuja-Jos Max Air flight Convoy Attack: Gov. Zulum meets families of fallen policemen Tanzania to introduce electronic budgeting system to reduce revenue loss Lawan, Gbajabiamila vow to break PIB jinx by ensuring its passage Lagos Assembly asks Sanwo-Olu to establish MSMEs hubs in 3 senatorial districts Osinbajo urges destination countries to insist on repatriation of illicit funds Kerber goes out early again in Paris World Contraceptive Day: Advocacy for family planning, a service to humanity — Official UN Women, UNDP inaugurate COVID-19 global gender response tracker SaudiArabia says it busted terrorist cell trained by Iran’s Revolutionary Guards Holding Company: Sterling Bank obtains CBN’s approval in principle PIB: Sylva dispels reports over alleged scraping of NNPC DISCO warns against vandalism of power infrastructure in Kano Defection: Delta APC says it will not miss former Delta Gov Uduaghan Niger Delta region has more than oil to offer- Agba Commission trains 100 saloon operators on COVID-19 hygiene in Lagos Delta Govt. to employ 40 pharmacists to bridge manpower gap NIS deploys 2,000 special force in Northwest   Tinubu salutes Gov. Oyetola at 66, applauds his achievements CDC Group, NSIA sign MoU to strengthen collaboration Minister flags off payment of N5,000 monthly cash transfer to poor households in Bayelsa World Rabies Day: Kebbi Govt vaccinates 17,200 dogs – Commissioner  COVID-19: Many would have died without journalists – Prof Dakas NBC pledges support to TStv, rolls out pay per view digital TV Oct. 1 National Theatre: Need for proper inventory responsible for delay of takeoff of renovation – Official