The International Organization for Migration (IOM) in collaboration with the Federal Government have evacuated another 330 Nigerians stranded in Tripoli and Benghazi, Libya, in their ongoing voluntary evacuation exercise.
The Chargé d’affaires of the Nigerian Mission in Libya, Kabiru Musa, revealed this in a statement on Wednesday in Abuja.
He said that nearly 1,000 stranded Nigerians had been evacuated from Libya in November alone, reiterating the Nigerian government’s commitment not to leave any Nigerians stranded in Libya.
“Following the successful evacuation exercises and the large number of Nigerians stranded in Libya, IOM, in collaboration with the Nigerian embassy in Tripoli, airlifted 158 Nigerians from Benghazi and 172 more from Tripoli on Wednesday.
“The flight chartered by Benghazi no. The UZ389 departed from Benghazi airport at 3:00 pm local time and is expected to arrive at Murtala Mohammed International Airport, Lagos, at 10:00 pm, ”he said.
He said that on the other hand, the charter flight from Tripoli failed. The UZ0190 left Mitiga International Airport at 6:00 p.m. local time and is expected to arrive at Lagos International Airport at 11:30 p.m.
“A total of 330 Nigerians were evacuated, including men, women and children.
“Some of the returnees were in Libyan detention centers for immigration crimes, while others were rescued victims of human trafficking or irregular migrants on voluntary return.
“The exercises were carried out successfully in full compliance with the COVID-19 protocol. All returnees are expected to spend a few days in the facilities provided by IOM before their reintegration into society, ”said Musa.
Musa said the exercise will continue until Nigerians who are in need while in Libya receive support to reunite with their families at home.
Short Link: https://wp.me/pcj2iU-3EM3