International partners * welcome the arrival of Somali Federal Government summit participants and Federal Member State leaders, to be held in the protected area of Mogadishu’s Aden Adde International Airport, which begins on March 22 2021. We urge them to come together quickly and show leadership by building on the Baidoa Technical Committee’s February 16, 2021 proposals to implement the September 17, 2020 electoral model and proceed with the elections without delay.
We also encourage consultation with other stakeholders such as political actors, civil society organizations and key legislators to hear their views and ensure broad support for the electoral process.
We do not see a viable alternative to implementing the September 17 electoral model on a swift timetable for the holding of peaceful, inclusive, free, fair and credible elections. International partners will not support a partial or parallel electoral process or any initiative leading to the extension of previous mandates.
We call on the Somali leadership to seize this opportunity to achieve a peaceful political settlement leading to elections and to make the necessary compromises in the interest of the Somali nation and its people.
International partners are continuing their efforts to bring together Somali stakeholders. We reaffirm our commitment to support the implementation of the electoral process once the details have been agreed.
* African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM), Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Djibouti, Egypt, Ethiopia, European Union (EU), Finland, France, Germany, Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD), Ireland, Italy, League of Arab States (LAS), Netherlands, Norway, Qatar, Sudan, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Uganda, United Kingdom, United States and United Nations.
Short Link: https://wp.me/pcj2iU-3yog
- SEC bans unregistered CMOs from operations May 31
- INEC creates additional 4,861 PUs in Lagos
- NAPTIP rescues 52 victims, arrests 4 suspected human traffickers in Kano
- SPDC’s pipeline spills 276 barrels of crude in April – Report
- Gov. Emmanuel donates N60m to families of slain policemen
- Maize farmers promise high produce, urge FG to sustain import ban
- We don’t need war in Nigeria — Ooni of Ife
- LASG to partner German firm on agribusiness
- Kano Govt to inaugurate waste recycling project, create 4,000 jobs –official