By Olasunkanmi Onifade
The Nigerian Institute of Food Science and Technology (NIFST) on Tuesday called on relevant stakeholders to further engage in food security.
The Nigeria News Agency (NAN) reports that the theme of this year’s celebration is “Repositioning the Nigerian Food System for Wealth and Job Creation in a Post COVID 19 Era”.
The President said, “We have a lot to do in this crucial area of farm-to-fork product management of the field.
“Food scientists need to become more visible because at the end of the day what matters most is what different categories of people around the world are consuming for good health and life support.
“We now need to take our profession very seriously, engaging with the food industry, government, legislators and even farmers to make sure we fill the gaps and serve humanity as intended,” Iwe said.
He said food productivity could be affected in the future as well, especially if the coronavirus is not contained and lockdown measures continue.
Iwe said a number of overlapping and reinforcing dynamics have emerged and been triggered by the pandemic on food systems, food security and nutrition, including disruptions in food supply chains, loss of life. income and livelihood.
He said others included widening inequalities, disruption of social protection programs, altered food environments and uneven food prices in localized contexts.
“Additionally, given the high degree of uncertainty surrounding the virus and its course, there could be future threats to food security and nutrition.
“This will include the potential for declining food productivity and production, depending on the severity and duration of the pandemic and the measures to contain it.
“The pandemic will certainly have initial, medium and longer-term potential impacts on the consuming population. The pandemic is having adverse effects on the food supply chain.
“There have been major disruptions in food supply chains as a result of the lockdowns which affected the availability, prices and quality of food,” he said.
He also said that the closure of restaurants and other eating establishments has resulted in a sharp drop in demand for some perishable foods.
“Foods include dairy products, potatoes and fresh fruit, as well as specialty products such as chocolate and some high-value cuts of meat.
Iwe said farmers without adequate storage facilities, including cold rooms, were faced with food they couldn’t sell.
He said the flow of food through international trade channels was particularly affected by the lockdown measures.
“As borders closed and demand for certain food items declined, food producers depending on the sale of their crops through distant export markets were very vulnerable.
“Most affected were producers who focused on perishables and agricultural products such as fresh fruits and vegetables or specialty crops such as cocoa.
“During the first months of the COVID-19 epidemic, some food-exporting countries also imposed export restrictions on key staple foods, such as rice and wheat.
“This has resulted in disruptions in the global movement of these commodities as well as higher prices for these crops relative to others.
Mr. Isaac Adeyemi, the former vice-chancellor of Bells University of Technology, Ota, Ogun State, who delivered the keynote address, said that the food system is a complex web of activities involving production, transport and consumption.
He added that issues regarding the food system involved governance and economics of food production.
He however called for effective and efficient implementation of every stage of the food system, saying there should be internal planning and networking for self-sufficiency with minimal reliance on imported food, food aid and support.
Previously, Mr. Funsho Tehinse, the management consultant of Funta Services Nigeria Limited, who had attended training sessions with food business operators, advised them to be familiar with handling strong cleaning chemicals and good hygiene.
The President of the FCT section of the Institute, Ms Nkechi Ezeh, said that the Food Summit is held every year to celebrate the birth of the Institute.
She said it aimed to bring together great minds to discuss current issues affecting food safety, food security and the economy in general.
“The pandemic has had an impact on the global economy and it still has an impact. Food and food systems are not spared.
“The virus is not transmitted through food.
“On the contrary, it has created a huge opportunity for food professionals throughout the food value chain, including storage, preservation, distribution, processing, presentation, packaging and consumption. of food through the deployment of science and technology.
“This inspired the theme of this 2021 Food Summit, and it is intended to educate attendees on how to reposition food systems in order to create wealth and jobs,” she said.
NAN also reports that NIFST is a non-profit trade association, incorporated under the Companies and Related Affairs Act, representing more than 10,000 food professionals from academia, industry, government and research institutions in Nigeria. (NAA)
Short Link: https://wp.me/pcj2iU-3Aqe
- First person: a live antidote to disinformation in the Central African Republic
- NGO plans free learning in churches, mosques
- Activist wants governors to support judicial, legislative, LGA’s financial autonomy
- 2 die in Jigawa road accident
- Bauchi governor appoints new Chief of Staff
- Mortars still preferred to blenders – NAN survey
- Anambra governorship candidate pledges more dividends of democracy
- Global legal community steps up for refugees amid pandemic, providing 165,000 hours of free legal aid
- COVID-19: Nigeria records lowest infection figure in more than 1 year
- COVID-19 vaccine: UNICEF hails G7 commitment to sharing 870m doses
- COVID-19: ACT-Accelerator partnership needs $16bn to fill funding gap – WHO
- Tambuwal says PDP set to regain power
- Osinbajo, Fayemi laud Oba’s development efforts
- Gov. Masari restates commitment to water supply
- World Blood Day: 7m African patients need blood yearly – WHO
- Foundation calls for skin cancer awareness among people with Albinism
- Kebbi Gov’s wife wants Nigerians to shun discrimination against Albinos
- Surrender now, Nigerian Army tells Boko Haram terrorists
- Kwara Utd end MFM 6-game unbeaten run with 1-0 win in Ilorin
- NPFL: Wikki Tourists overpower FC IfeanyiUbah 4-3
- Defection, bane of growth of Nigeria’s democracy – Diasporas
- Police recover N1.3m from suspected kidnappers in Abuja
- Rep. Idahosa to restore electricity supply to 70 communities in Edo
- Team Kwara win North-Central Cricket invitational
- NAF FC dethrone EFCC FC to win 2021 FCT Men’s Aiteo Cup
- NPFL: Rangers International humiliate Sunshine Stars 4-1
- Gov. Lalong tasks clergymen on prayers, spiritual guidance for leaders
- June 12: Rights group hails Buhari’s courage on pronouncement
- Bishop urges FG to focus on agriculture to boost economy
- Dangote Urea Fertiliser delivers 120 trucks daily- official
- COVID-19: 107,283 persons receive 2nd vaccine dose in Lagos
- Avoid God’s judgment on Nigeria, Okoye tells leaders
- Osinbajo applauds ex-minister’s humanitarian initiative for orphans, others
- Gov. Emmanuel spends N26bn on Eket-Ibeno road
- Ex-Imo dep. gov. recommends dialogue to resolve grievances
- Video: NNPC highlights week with 40bn barrels crude oil reserve target
- Truth, justice, equity, will guarantee Nigeria’s unity – Okowa
- COVID-19 Vaccine:107,283 persons receive 2nd dose in Lagos
- Mikel Obi visits Yahaya Bello, harps on youth leadership
- Police confirm unknown gunmen attack in Zaria
- Democracy Day: Nigeria can achieve more – Nigerian Diasporas
- NRC begins Lagos-Ibadan service Tuesday
- Eriksen unlikely to play football again, cardiologist says
- Divorce: Expert advises parties to explore mediation
- Krejcikova wins French Open doubles day after singles triumph
- Obaseki seeks legislation, global action against child labour
- NRC begins Lagos-Ibadan service June 15
- NDLEA nabs Uber driver, 2 traffickers with cocaine in Lagos
- APC Diaspora urges speedy convocation of national dialogu
- Buhari greets Gen. Abubakar at 79
- Gov. Obaseki seeks legislation, global action against child labour
- Bishop Onuoha urges South East agitators to shun violence
- World Day Against Child Labour: Foundation highlights consequences of neglect
- Drama on protection of public infrastructure underway
- How I will reposition National Troupe–Director
- Nigeria will be great – Al Mustapha
- Albinism: Foundation stresses need for govt. support
- LASG says sports can be used to rekindle hope in youths
- Child abuse: CCTV to the rescue
- Bauchi Govt unveils N1.5b youths empowerment programme
- It’s time to end Boko Haram- Al Mustapha tells new COAS
- June 12: Imo residents sue for peace
- Earning a living through car wash business
- Democracy Day: NIREC preaches tolerance, true democratic culture
- NNL: Attack on Bendel Insurance team barbaric – Obaseki
- June 12: Lalong decries use of social media against democracy By Martha Agas
- FG commences completion of abandoned Farin Ruwa Multipurpose Dam
- Governors working hard to ensure stability in Nigeria, says Gov. Ganduje
- Buhari felicitates Minister of State, FCT on birthday, title
- Expert urges mid-term review of power privatisation
- Zamfara renders free medical services to 1,160 less privileged
- Niger governor celebrates Gen. Abdulsalami at 79
- Police restate ban on unlawful gatherings in Kano State
- Senate President visits wounded soldiers in Kaduna
- Matawalle vows to pay bandits in same coin
- EFCC FC coach targets to lift FCT Aiteo Cup again
- Euro 2020: Denmark’s Eriksen stable after collapse on pitch
- Borno govt. will not sack workers — Gov. Zulum assures
- Gov. Masari to retire from active politics in 2023
- Democracy Day: Nigerians in S/Africa urge FG to sustain fight against insecurity
- 2021 Hajj: NAHCON confirms cancellation of pilgrimage for international pilgrims
- FG suspends salaries of 331 civil servants
- Nigeria to miss late South Africa’s Zulu King – Envoy
- TSA, BVN eliminating ghost workers in government – NITDA Boss
- June 12: Sen. Anyanwu harps on united, indivisible Nigeria
- June 12: APC chairman urges support for government
- Democracy Day: IPMAN says Buhari’s administration can transform petroleum sector through PIB
- Presidential address: Gombe rice farmers laud FG’s investment in agric sector
- Zamfara govt. suspends third traditional ruler over banditry allegations
- Sterling bank pledges commitment to health sector improvement
- CCD, PLWDs validate Yoruba, Pidgin of Draft Abridged Lagos Disability Law
- June 12: Movement, commercial activities remain unhindered in Imo – Police
- Democracy Day broadcast : IPAC lauds President Buhari’s score card
- Democracy: Gov. Bello of Niger reassures residents of continuous growth
- FG approves establishment of N15trn Infraco Plc to boost infrastructure dev’t – Buhari
- Democracy Day: Foundation advocates dialogue to solve challenges
- 1,300 Oyo women benefit from entrepreneurship training programme – Makinde
- UNECA tasks G7 leaders on vaccines, green recovery, aid cuts
- Honeywell introduces Nigeria’s 1st spaghetti mini pack
- I’m not against constitutional amendments or reforms – Buhari
- Coronation Merchant Bank quotes N11.36bn CP on FMDQ
- Full Speech of President Buhari on Democracy Day
- FG approves establishment of N15trn Infraco Plc
- G7 Summit: COVID-19 vaccines should be considered ‘global public goods’ – Guterres
- UAE’s commitment to women empowerment goes beyond our borders – Envoy
- Armed robbers kill final year student of Ibadan Polytechnic
- Igbo group in New York charges Nigerian leaders on selfless service
- Nigeria, Ghana navies partner on maritime security, others
- Democracy Day: APC restates commitment to progressive reforms
- Zamfara governor approves community self defence against banditry
- Kogi Govt. hails NANS for suspending nationwide Protest
- Senate President felicitates Nigerians on Democracy Day
- Buhari receives briefing on NASENI’s Modular Irrigation, assembled helicopter
- Restructuring: Only NASS can handle constitutional matter
- FIRS gets online portal to check fake tax certificates
- Michael Okpara University demands N10bn take-off grant from FG
- Fed. High Court issues new practice direction for filing of processes
- 20 participants selected for inaugural maritime writers workshop – official
- UN elects Ghana, 4 others to serve on Security Council
- NASS commission felicitates senate on 2nd anniversary
- UFC champion Usman, sports ministry to develop MMA in Nigeria
- Tokyo Olympics: Foundation “adopts” Okon-George, Anyanacho
- NGO tracks N193bn spent on government projects in 2020
- FG signs Brass Petroleum Products Terminal agreement to tackle illegal refining
- June 12: We won’t allow EndSARS experience – Police
- Newly-elected Mongolian president takes oath June 25
- COVID-19: Belgium detects virus in fully vaccinated people
- NANS suspends planned June 12 protest
- June 12: NYCN urges Nigerians to shun planned protests
- T20 Cricket Tourney: Nigeria, again succumbs to Namibia, lose by 91 runs
- NDDC: Meeting the demands of the Niger Delta people
- The women who run big businesses in Africa
- Fed. Rep., Akande-Sadipe Seeks Justice for Hit and Run Accident Victim
- African Women Handball Championship: Nigeria lose to Cameroon in second game
- OLOP Programme: SMEDAN reviews MFBs admin charges to 8 per cent
- PDP dissolves Plateau exco, appoints caretaker committee
- Ebonyi stakeholders laud JUSUN’s strike suspension
- Police embark on show of force in Ibadan
- Decade of gas: FG inaugurates committee to develop roadmap
- U.S. calls on Nigeria to end Twitter suspension
- TotalEnergies targets 50% gas energy mix by 2030
- Expert advises cutting down cholesterol to avoid liver disease
- FCTA mulls entrepreneurship education in secondary schools
- CAN moves to end FGM in 21 Imo communities
- Army releases new posting, as counter-terrorism operation gets new commander
- NIPS: FG changes summit name to Nigeria International Energy Summit
- Naija Ratels FC boss wants more support for women league
- Analyst describes 2014 Urhobo declaration as “shot in the foot”
- Abuja Shippers’ Association gets new executive members
- Rail network to make Nigeria’s ports destination points for import, export — Buhari
- Recovered Assets: FG opens bid for Auctioneers
- Buhari: We’ll tackle those attacking security personnel, wielding AK-47s
- Deep Blue project: Benchmark for maritime security – Buhari
- Lagos AGN promises new heights as new executives take over
- NPC promises credible, reliable census
- 90 schools participate in Maltina Games in Bauchi
- FG lauds JUSUN, PASAN, ASUP for suspending strikes
- Cricket: 68 players to feature in maiden North Central invitational
- SWAN FCT secures 3-year partnership deal with Ratels FC
- Decade of gas: FG inaugurates committee to develop roadmap.
- Nigeria’s proven gas reserve now 206.53tcf, says DPR
- Nigeria’s mission in South Africa issues 10,341 passports in 15 months — Consul General
- FRSC encourages use of bicycles in Sokoto
- Former White House lawyer exposes Trump
- Former PM, Ukhnaa Khurelsukh, wins Mongolia’s presidential election
- Autonomy: JUSUN called off strike too early without achieving aims – Ikeja NBA
- Pete Townshend’s Music Amplifies Africa’s World Blood Donor Day Celebrations
- Sen. Buhari urges stakeholder collaboration to tackle insecurity
- I’ve not resigned as Imo Deputy Governor, says Prof. Njoku
- Another military plane crashes, at least 12 dead
- ASUP suspends 65 days industrial action
- Nigeria’s total public debt reaches N33.107trn – DMO
- Gov. Masari inaugurates N1.4bn new Zamfara Assembly complex
- Police nab native doctor for preparing charms for IPOB, ESN in Imo – CP
- Nigeria records 64 new COVID-19 cases, says NCDC
- Foundation urges concerted efforts on global access to COVID-19 vaccine
- Rep endorses plans to establish sickle cell centre in Abuja
- FG moves to empower serving, retired civil servants
- Enough with ethno-religious, political divides – Gov. Bello tells Nigerians
- Presidency presents documentary to mark 2021 Democracy Day
- Nollywood actress, Uche Ogbodo, welcomes 2nd child
- No attack on Imo Govt. House – Police
- Group urges FG to ensure ecosystem restoration
- U.S. to donate 500m COVID-19 vaccine doses
- Nigeria’s first Olympics gymnast says podium finish is his target
- Makinde promises to resuscitate moribund industries
- ASUP suspends 2 months’ strike
- JUSUN strike suspension: Lawyers express different views
- FEC approves N895bn draft supplementary 2021 budget
- Abuja Airport bags 2020 Service Quality Award
- NEPZA, FAAN partner to turn 4 Airports to special economic zones
- Illicit financial flow caused by corrupt leaders, foreign accomplicesa –CISLAC, EFCC
- NAN partners National Troupe on unity, culture
- Twitter approaches FG for dialogue over suspension
- Mastercard enables consumers to choose a sustainable future with green cards
- Biden visits Europe on first overseas trip as U.S .President
- Niger Govt inaugurates 2021 fertiliser sales for farmers
- Gov. Bala Mohammed of Bauchi sacks Commissioners, others
- Anambra Poll: APC set up 7-member screening committee
- FG issues travel advisory to Nigerians