The IG also ordered the streamlining of the staff profile of the IG Surveillance Unit at the Force Headquarters to no more than 50 members.
The police chief announced the ban on the unit from undertaking criminal investigations, including taking over the affairs of state police commands.
According to him, under the current exemption, the unit will only function within the framework of its original mandate, to investigate complaints of professional offenses against officers on duty.
Baba said the directives were in line with plans to reorganize the force and its commitment to return to the basics of policing.
He said repositioning initiatives were being developed compared to other ad hoc investigative units of the Force.
The police chief said the idea was to restore professionalism, to address citizens’ concerns about rights violations resulting from the existence and functioning of ad hoc investigative units.
Baba said it was also to discourage duplication of policing functions which encourages indiscipline and abuse of the policing process.
He said the conference was called to interact with the officers and define its mission statement and organizational vision.
The police chief said it was also to assess the current internal security situation across the country, review strategies and put in place sets of strategic actions to restore order. and public confidence.
“I must stress once again that the main task that awaits us is to tackle as soon as possible the trafficking in secessionism, banditry, kidnappings, armed robberies and various violent crimes.
“I appreciate the sacrifices most of you have made and the successes you have had in the war on crime and the secessionist agenda.
“I also recognize the challenges associated with your duties, but the reality is that other grounds must be covered if we are to restore public confidence,” he said. (NOPE)
Short Link: https://wp.me/pcj2iU-3yPJ
- Super league – FIFA chief Infantino: “We need to face the problems in football together”
- Forum tasks FG on MSMEs growth
- Video press release: Rugby Africa Sevens Solidarity Camp: All matches will be broadcast live Saturday and Sunday on Rugby Africa’s Facebook page and Rugby Africa’s YouTube channel
- APC will take over Rivers Govt House in 2023- State Chairman
- Coronavirus – Nigeria: COVID-19 case update (May 7, 2021)
- FRSC enjoins passengers to caution reckless drivers
- Coronavirus – Daily update of the state of COVID-19 statistics in Zambia (May 7, 2021)
- Atiku mourns ex-Minister of Women Affairs, Alhassan
- Bird flu: Bauchi govt. kills about 27,000 birds to curtail spread