Senator representing Anambra Sud, ifeanyi Uba, asked the Federal High Court in Abuja to visit the leader of the proscribed indigenous people of Biafra, IPOB, Nnamdi Kanu, at the State Security Service, SSS, in detention.
Mr Uba, who is also the Progressive Youth Party’s YPP candidate for the Nov. 6 governor’s election, said he filed the request so that a court order can be obtained to order the DSS to allow him access to the detainee.
The legislator, in a motion for notice with prosecution bearing the mention: FHC / ABJ / CR / 383/2015 dated and filed on October 15 by his lawyer, Agugoesi Ikem, requested three orders.
He said that as a zone senator, he took it upon himself to exercise his legislative oversight functions to visit the Kanu at the detention center to check with him “if he is involved in any way. or in what is happening in the Southeast.
“AN ORDER from this Honorable Court authorizing Senator IfeanyiUba to visit the defendant, NnamdiKanu, as part of his legislative oversight function.
“AN ORDER from this honorable court directing the Complainant and / or the Department of State Services (DSS) to allow said Senator Dr. IfeanyiUba to enter their detention center for the purpose of visiting the accused, NnamdiKanu.
“AND OTHER ORDERS OR ORDERS that the Honorable Court sees fit to make in the circumstances of the case”, we can read.
In the affidavit in support of the motion, Mr. Uba said that as lawmaker of the Southeast geopolitical zone, he was bound by the oath he had taken to ensure peace and security not only in the region but throughout Nigeria.
It reads in part: “That I declare that as a Senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, it is one of my responsibilities to promote the Constitution of Nigeria and other laws of Nigeria.
“That I know that the defendant in this case was arrested and brought to Nigeria by the Department of State Services (DSS) of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and since he was brought to Nigeria he has been detained in DSS detention center pending trial.
“That I know that according to the Constitution of Nigeria, any citizen, including the defendant, who is charged with an offense is presumed innocent until the charge is proven.
“That I know that the defendant has been charged with several offenses and that the DSS only brought him before the court once.
“That there is an allegation that crimes are defended by the indigenous peoples of Biafra under the leadership of the detained accused; an allegation that was individually rejected; yet the situation continues to worsen. .
“That I have visited and intend to visit the Respondent in my capacity as Senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and for the purpose of attempting to improve and create a meeting point or create a discussion table aimed at reducing tension and suppressing unrest and killings in the South East, ”Uba said.
However, no date has been set to hear the request.
NAN reports that Kanu’s trial will take place on Thursday before Judge Binta Nyako.
Short Link: https://wp.me/pcj2iU-3D8R
- Tens of thousands protest Austria compulsory vaccination
- French minister flies to Caribbean islands after mooting autonomy
- James Bond fan Fiala named Czech prime minister
- Buhari charges agric varsities to bridge food insecurity gap
- NIPC partners Isreali Embassy on i-FAIR 2021/22
- Solomon Islands PM says riots ‘orchestrated’ to remove him
- Australia detects first Covid Omicron infections
- Honduras braces for trouble in presidential election
- Bridge bank option prevents systemic crisis in banking operations- NDIC
- Chinese police capture North Korean convict on the run
- Sustain aggressive offensive against insurgents, bandits – COAS tasks troops
- Nigeria can be peaceful, united if leaders value every section of Nigeria – Jonathan
- NTI trains 7,000 teachers in Special Needs, Disabilities
- Lawyer cautions youths against social media addiction
- Fishermen applaud Buhari’s response to Nembe oil spill