First Lady of Lagos State, Dr Ibijoke Sanwo-Olu, on Tuesday urged expectant and nursing mothers to embrace exclusive breastfeeding for the first six months after delivery.
In a message to commemorate 2020 World Breastfeeding Week (WBW), Sanwo-Olu said that exclusive breastfeeding would go a long way to improve a child’s growth and development.
She said that the importance of exclusive breastfeeding could not be over emphasised, hence, the need for mothers to embrace the practice to safeguard the health of their babies.
”As a mother and physician myself, I have a clear idea of the high impact of exclusive breastfeeding on Maternal, Newborn and Child Health and Nutrition.
”Hence the need for expectant and nursing mothers to be encouraged to embrace the practice to improve child growth and development.
”When observed for the first six months after birth, exclusive breastfeeding helps in no small measure to reduce morbidity in children.
”It helps to strengthen the immune system and protects against serious diseases such as respiratory infections, low growth, diarrhea and pneumonia, among others,” the First Lady said.
According to her, observing exclusive breastfeeding is equally beneficial to the nursing mothers, as it helps to burn extra calories and also lowers their risk of breast and ovarian cancer.
She said that exclusive breastfeeding also lowers the risk of Osteoporosis, a medical condition in which the bones become fragile from loss of tissue.
”Without mincing words, there are several benefits inherent in strict adherence to the practice of exclusive breastfeeding for both children and mothers.
”It is for this reason that I urge expectant and nursing mothers to embrace it to safeguard the health of their children,” Sanwo-Olu said.
Speaking on the theme of this year’s celebration – ”Support Breastfeeding For A Healthier Planet”, she said it could not had come at a better time than now as the world contended with COVID-19 pandemic that had changed life.
”This has brought to the fore the need for all, especially relatives, colleagues, and the community generally to make it a priority to support expectant and nursing mothers to observe exclusive breastfeeding for the recommended period.
”It is our collective responsibility to create the enabling environment for mothers to breastfeed optimally in the interest of the health of our children and mothers,” the First Lady said.
The WBW, which was inaugurated in 1991, is celebrated annually from Aug. 1 to Aug. 7 in over 120 countries across the globe, to promote breastfeeding as an effective practice to engender mother and child wellbeing.
Edited By: Dorcas Jonah/Wale Ojetimi (NAN)
This News article: Breastfeeding Week: Lagos First Lady seeks exclusive breastfeeding for child’s growth is by Florence Onuegbu and it appeared first on https://nnn.ng/.https://nnn.ng/hausa/breastfeeding-week-lagos-first-lady-seeks-exclusive-breastfeeding-for-childs-growth/
Lagos govt earmarks N1bn to boost hospitality sector
The Lagos State Government says it has earmarked N1 billion as part of COVID-19 bailout for the hospitality sector in the state.
Lagos State Governor, Mr Babajide Sanwo-Olu, made this known on Wednesday in Ikeja during the 6th Lagos Corporate Assembly, tagged: ”BOS Meets Business”.
The Lagos Corporate Assembly was organised by the Lagos State Ministry of Commerce, Industry and Cooperatives.
Sanwo-Olu said that the fund would be accessed through the Lagos State Employment Trust Fund (LSETF).
”One of the commitment that we will continue to give to you is that when it comes to your businesses, we must continue to ensure that we give you the opportunity to do well, we give you the space to thrive.
”It is only when you do well that Lagos can continue to have that lead, that Lagos can continue to remain that place that good businesses can continue to thrive.
”We need to do a lot more for the industry. We have just given approval for a N1 billion support that will go through the Lagos Employment Trust Fund.
“The hospitality operators have to meet certain criteria to be able to access the fund.
”I am working collaboratively with the CBN to get specific sign up from them that I will donate to the hospitality industry in Lagos,” he said.
The governor said that measures already being implemented to ensure a business friendly environment included waivers of penalties on annual tax remittance and tax returns on COVID-19 donations.
He said that the measures also included the signing of a new Land Use Charge Law with a 48 per cent reduction in the 2018 payment of the charge.
Sanwo-Olu assured members of the Organised Private Sector (OPS) that a list of approved taxes would be published on the state’s website to resolve the issue of multiple taxation.
Representatives of the Organised Private Sector (OPS) who attended the interactive meeting, the first by the Sanwo-Olu administration, commended the state government for continuing the meeting.
Members of the OPS present included Manufacturers Association of Nigeria, Lagos Chamber of Commerce and Industry, NACCIMA, SMEDAN and Nigeria Employers Consultative Association.
The meeting was also attended by the State Deputy Governor, Dr Obafemi Hamzat, and other top government officials.
At the meeting, the OPS asked the state government to review the 10p.m. curfew imposed in the state because of the COVID -19 pandemic.
The OPS also urged the state government to address issues of taxation, bad roads and unwholesome attitude of some officials.
They commended the state government for the various measures already implemented and solicited more to ensure a robust environment for businesses to thrive.
In her welcome address, the Commissioner for Commerce, Industry and Cooperatives, Mrs Lola Akande, said that all the issues raised during previous meetings had been resolved by the relevant government ministries and agencies.
Akande said that the issues, contributions and feedback helped immeasurably to improve on government’s service delivery towards making Lagos a 21st Century Economy.
Edited By: Wale Ojetimi (NAN)
This News article: Lagos govt earmarks N1bn to boost hospitality sector is by Florence Onuegbu and it appeared first on https://nnn.ng/.https://nnn.ng/hausa/lagos-govt-earmarks-n1bn-to-boost-hospitality-sector/
Reps C’ttee to visit petroleum tank farms in PH, Delta, Lagos
The House of Representatives ad hoc Committee investigating the relocation of petroleum tank farms in residential areas says it will visit farm sites in Port Harcourt, Delta and Lagos State.
The chairman of the committee, Rep. Sergius Ogun (PDP-Edo), stated this during an investigative hearing of the committee on Wednesday in Abuja.
He said that the essence of the visit scheduled to begin on Aug. 17, was to to undertake a first-hand assessment of the prevailing situations in the farm sites.
The chairman urged all chief executive officers of the farms to be present and make relevant approval documents available during the exercise.
Earlier, Mr Gomwalk Celestine, Assistant Director, Evaluation and Analysis, Federal Ministry of Environment, said that some tank farms had no permit from the ministry.
“Some tank farms in Delta and Lagos do not have permit from the ministry to site their farms in their current locations.
“In some cases, construction work would have started even before the ministry issues Environmental Impact Assessment,” he said.
Mr Bashir Sadiq, Head, Petroleum Deports and Jetties, Department of Petroleum Resources (DPR), said that there was a minimum fire control requirement before approval could be given to tank farms.
According to him, the law establishing the DPR does not require that the ministry of environment should be consulted before approvals are given.
He said the DPR was acting on the platform of the powers bestowed on it by the Petroleum Act, saying, “all that we have done is in consonance with the law.
“The Petroleum Act predates the establishment of the Federal Ministry of Environment and when it was established, the DPR Act was not changed to create a role for the ministry in the oil sector.
Edited By: Azubuike Okeh/Kayode Olaitan (NAN)
This News article: Reps C’ttee to visit petroleum tank farms in PH, Delta, Lagos is by Ericjames Ochigbo and it appeared first on https://nnn.ng/.https://nnn.ng/hausa/reps-cttee-to-visit-petroleum-tank-farms-in-ph-delta-lagos/
Eid-el-Kabir: Lagos lawmaker urges Muslims to be cautious over COVID-19
A Lagos lawmaker, Mr Gbolahan Yishawu, on Wednesday advised Muslims in the state to be careful about the COVID-19 pandemic while celebrating Eid-el-Kabir.
Yishawu, a third-term lawmaker representing Eti-Osa Constituency II in the Lagos State House of Assembly, gave the advice in a statement.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the Federal Government has declared Thursday and Friday as public holidays for celebration of the Eid-el-Kabir.
He urged Muslims to be cautious and observe COVID-19 preventive guidelines.
The lawmaker said: “As Muslims across the country celebrate another Eid-el-Kabir, I want to appeal to Lagosians to celebrate with caution amid COVID-19.
“This year’s celebration should be a season to call on Allah to heal Nigeria and the nations of the world from the unseen virus that has claimed the lives of people.
“I want to appeal to our people to be cautious while celebrating Sallah. We should have it in mind that COVID-19 is still with us.
“We must strictly adhere to COVID-19 guidelines by maintaining social distancing, the use of face masks and constant washing of hands. Doing this will make the virus disappear from the society.”
He prayed for quick recovery of people infected by the virus that were still in the isolation centres across the country.
“I want to wish Lagosians and my constituents Eid Mubarak. May Allah strengthen us to submit to His wish and command at all times,” Yishawu added.
Edited By: Chinyere Bassey/Oluwole Sogunle (NAN)
This News article: Eid-el-Kabir: Lagos lawmaker urges Muslims to be cautious over COVID-19 is by Adeleye Adeyemi and it appeared first on https://nnn.ng/.https://nnn.ng/hausa/eid-el-kabir-lagos-lawmaker-urges-muslims-to-be-cautious-over-covid-19/
Lagos lawmaker begins online distribution of free GCE forms to students
A Lagos lawmaker, Mr Gbolahan Yishawu, said he had commenced the distribution of free GCE forms to 500 students in his constituency.
The lawmaker said in a statement that the 8th edition of Gbolahan Olusegun Yishawu (GOY) free GCE forms was part of his educational support for the youths.
Yishawu, representing Eti-Osa Constituency in Lagos House of Assembly, said the outbreak of COVID-19 affected the physical distribution of the forms to the students.
“I don’t want the effect of coronavirus to stop this programme which I know impacts my constituents greatly.
“It’s a yearly programme that over the years has had positive effects on the lives of people, most especially both parents and students.
“This time that the virus has affected the economy, I believe this will bring relief to parents of the beneficiaries,” said Yishawu, who is Chairman, House Committee on Budget and Economic Planning.
He appealed to students to make judicious use of the opportunity available to them.
“You should not be distracted at this time of COVID-19 but study hard to attain success,” he said.
According to him, the free distribution of forms is between July 20th and July 29.
Yishaw, therefore, urged the students to adhere strictly to all COVID-19 guidelines while preparing for the examination.
Edited By: Wale Ojetimi (NAN)
This News article: Lagos lawmaker begins online distribution of free GCE forms to students is by Williams Adekunle and it appeared first on https://nnn.ng/.https://nnn.ng/hausa/lagos-lawmaker-begins-online-distribution-of-free-gce-forms-to-students/
- Gwamna Ganduje ya bukaci Musulmai da su yi addu’ar zaman lafiya, kwanciyar hankali
- Gidauniyar ta bayar da gudummawar abinci da sauran kayayyakin kyautatawa ga zawarawa a Abuja
- Masu ababen hawa suna yanke shawarar lalatattun hanyoyi a Kudancin Kaduna
- Ministar harkokin mata ta bukaci gwamnatin Ebonyi. don bincika auren yarinya da yarinya da wuri
- Gwamnatin Neja ta bude hanyar Minna-Bida ga motocin da aka bayyana
- Masu ceto sun ceto mutane 5 yayin da motar bas ta nitse cikin kogi a Ebonyi
- Fayemi yayi sabon Oluyin akan cigaban al'umma
- FG ta sake farfado da makarantar horar da masu sana’ar hannu Onikan don magance gibin fasaha, rashin aikin yi
- Najeriya za ta goyi bayan karfafa dimokiradiyya a kasashen ECOWAS – Buhari
- CCB ta bukaci ma'aikatan rundunar da su bi ka'idojin rashin son kai, mutunci
- Mohammed ya bayar da kudirin yin doka a kan hukumar zirga-zirgar ababen hawa ta Bauchi
- Tasksungiyoyin ƙungiyoyi sun ba gwamnan Bayelsa shawara kan shawarwari, jagorancin mutane
- Dan takarar gwamna na ADC, magoya baya sun koma APC a Oyo
- Gwamna Mohammed don farfado da hakar ma'adinai don bunkasa tattalin arziki
- Sanwo-Olu, Amaechi sun ziyarci inda hatsarin jirgin kasa ya faru a Oshodi
- Mace Unical VC ta farko ta karɓi yabo daga membobin C / River NASS, Kakakin majalisa
- Kamfanin DISCO ya kawo karshen korafe-korafen mitocin da aka biya a Kano
- Gwamnoni sun yi wa Sen. Wamakko ta'aziyya game da mutuwar 'yarsa
- Rikicin Kudancin Kaduna: MURIC ta bukaci FG da ta tura rundunar tsaro
- Zamfara don karfafawa mata 20,000 da N20,000 duk wata – Matar Gwamna Matawalle
- Malami ya gargadi yan Najeriya game da hatsarin rashin afuwa
- Gwamnonin Arewa sun yi wa Wamakko ta'aziyya game da mutuwar 'yarta
- Fayose ya kasance muryar PDP a Kudu maso Yamma, in ji tsohon Shugaban Yankin Olafeso
- FG ta ce JOHESU sun shiga yajin aiki ba dole ba, haramtacce
- 'Yan wasan siyasa da ke bayan rugujewar kasa ba za su iya tsara yadda za a ci gaba ba – APC
- Wasu ‘yan uwan juna 2 da ake zargi sun yiwa‘ yar shekara bakwai fyade a Anambra
- Mataimakin Onyeama ba a dakatar da shi ba a APC – Shugaban Ward
- Najeriya za ta ga ci gaba matuka idan ta koya daga kurakuran da suka gabata – Cleric
- Zaben Edo: Kada ku sayar da kuri’unku, in ji Ize-Iyamu ga masu zabe
- COVID-19: An sake buɗe makarantun Ekiti 21 ga Satumba, manyan makarantu Oktoba 2
- Binciken Tsarin Mulki: Kwamiti ba zai kashe duk wani kudiri ba, in ji Omo-Agege
- Mutanen Edo za su yi tir da yunƙurin kawo cikas ga ranar zaɓen – Ologbondiyan
- Hukumomin fadar shugaban kasa suna gudanar da Tattaunawar Kasafin kudi na 2021 don haduwa da wa’adin watan Satumba
- Zaben Edo: Ganduje ya bugawa APC goyon baya daga Al'ummar Arewa
- Ritayar Minista: Buhari ya yaba wa SGF
- Buhari ya jajantawa Wammako game da mutuwar 'Yar
- Zaben Edo: Mutanen Edo za su tantance gwamnan su da PVC – PDP
- Edo 2020: Ina son INEC ta gudanar da zabe na gaskiya da adalci – Gwamna Obaseki
- Gwamnatin Niger. ta rarraba kayan taimako ga wadanda ambaliyar ta shafa
- COVID-19: Tawagar wadanda ke karkashin kulawar Oyo sun yi tir da kin bin ka’idojin kare lafiya
- Zaben cike gurbi na Bayelsa ta Yamma: Mataimakin Bayelsa Mataimakin Gwamna na Gano kan nasarar Dickson
- COVID-19 ta koya mana kusantar Allah – tsohon darektan NAN
- Sabon Gari LG zai kafa Ultra Motor Motor Park, in ji Shugaban LG
- Fadar shugaban kasa ta mayar da martani ga kalaman na Obasanjo, ta bayyana shi a matsayin "Mai Raba-In-Chief na Najeriya"
- Edo 2020: kwamitin majalisar dattijai kan INEC sun yi gargadi game da tashin hankali
- Edo: Malami ya bukaci kiristocin da su yi aikinsu ta hanyar jefa kuri'a
- Yadda Buharin ya hana Najeriya zama kasa mai kasa – Ministan
- Mashawarci na Musamman na Imo kan Harkokin Addini yana tuhumar Kiristoci a kan aminci, dogaro ga Allah
- VON DG ya bukaci masu sukar su goyi bayan FG wajen samar da hanyoyin magance su
- Ayyuka masu mahimmanci Krista akan lissafi, kasancewa masu kula da Allah