Gunmen behead another Assemblyman in Anambra
NNN: The Anambra State Police Command has confirmed the killing and beheading of a former member of Anambra State House of Assembly, Mr Nelson Achukwu, by gunmen.
The incident occurred barely a month after one Okechukwu Okoye representing Aguata Constituency II was kidnapped and later found beheaded in Nnobi area alongside his aide.
DSP Tochukwu Ikenga, the command’s Public Relations Officer (PPRO), said on Tuesday in Awka that Achukwu’s body was found at the boundary of Uke and Ukpor communities.
“The victim was abducted at about 10:15pm in his house on June 9, 2022 and efforts were being made to rescue him before this unfortunate development.
“His body was found between the boundary of Uke and Ukpor communities both in Anambra.
“We are still nosing around to ensure that the culprits are uncovered and made to face the full wrath of the law,” he said.
He expressed regret that the former Assemblyman was kidnapped in his country home Ukpor, Nnewi South local government area, in spite of being physically challenged.
“His decapitated body was found at the bank of Ulasi River and was quickly buried by the family on Tuesday, June 21, evening as the body was already decomposing,” Ikenga said.
A source close to the family said that kidnappers collected N15 million ransom and went ahead to kill their victim.
“The deceased lawmaker was kidnapped few months ago and later released before the June 9 incident,” the source who preferred anonymity added.
Achukwu was the owner of Nelly Oil and Gas filling station located on Onuselogu road, Utuh in Nnewi South area.
- 120 correctional centre inmates in Enugu gain admission into National Open University
- We’ll ensure changes in DisCos don’t disrupt service – FG
- Research: CSO tasks Kwara Govt on budget spendings
- Buhari salutes Army on 2022 NADCEL
- NMet predicts 3-day cloudiness, sunshine from Thursday
- Eid-el-Kabir: FRSC begins enlightenment campaign for motorists in Kano
- Barkindo’s death: NOG organisers call off 2022 dinner/award night
- Gov. Bagudu approves N52.9m for Kebbi boarding schools to celebrate sallah
- Nigerian petroleum industry holds night of tributes for Barkindo
- Our governorship candidate yet to announce running mate – Lagos PDP
- NSCDC urges newly recruited officers to maintain discipline, commitment
- Nigeria requires over 350m trees yearly to check deforestation – NCF
- FEMA, JICA empower IDPs in Abuja
- 2023: Group tasks INEC on peaceful, fair polls
- Influencer urges youths to maximise social media for wealth creation
- NOA expresses readiness to partner with CSOs, others on vote-buying
- Plateau APC Guber Candidate picks Butmang as running mate
- UK wants improved implementation of disability laws in Nigeria
- Running mate: PDP group faults voting by screening committee
- Gov. Fintiri commiserates with Barkindo family