By Oladapo Udom
Four Nigerian Navy ships are to collaborate with the Spanish Navy Warship (SNS) Furor, to conduct a two-day at-sea exercise to develop capabilities to improve protection in the Gulf of Guinea.
The flag officer commanding the Western Naval Command, Rear Admiral Jason Gbassa, told reporters during SNS Furor’s visit to the command on Tuesday.
The Nigeria News Agency (NAN) reports that the exercise will be held on April 7-8.
Gbassa said the SNS visit would further consolidate bilateral relations between the two countries and improve the capabilities of the Nigerian Navy.
“As part of our naval responsibilities, navies around the world, as a universal service, always collaborate and cooperate in areas of maritime operations.
“Your visit to the port of Lagos is in keeping with this naval function and we are delighted to welcome you.
“The exercise we plan to conduct together will go a long way in improving our ability to monitor our maritime environment and further strengthen our relationship,” he said.
The FOC said the Nigerian Navy and the Spanish Navy have a relationship dating back some time.
“Over the past two years, this is the fourth SNS that has visited Nigeria and on each of their visits, we have jointly conducted exercises concerning the protection of the Gulf of Guinea.
“Their experience must have informed and encouraged your stopover, so we intend to use your visit to expand into other areas of training.
“This will include areas where we will have joint training and exchange programs at the highest level that will contribute to all our efforts to secure not only our waters but also the Gulf of Guinea,” said Gbassa.
Short Link: https://wp.me/pcj2iU-3yEn
- Coronavirus – Eritrea: Announcement from the Ministry of Health (April 15, 2021)
- Coronavirus – Zambia: COVID-19 update (April 15, 2021)
- Coronavirus – Nigeria: COVID-19 update (April 15, 2021)
- Rugby sevens match officials revealed for Tokyo Olympics 100 days to go
- Coronavirus – Ethiopia: COVID-19 update (April 15, 2021)
- The Qhubeka ASSOS team drawn for the Amstel Gold Race
- Avian flu: the association urges the government. increase surveillance
- Coronavirus – Kenya: COVID-19 update (April 15, 2021)
- Take advantage of police recruitment, commissioner urges Southeast youth