By Emmanuel Acha
Nigeria’s Christian Student Movement (SCM) has expressed concern over the rise in banditry and general insecurity in the South East.
Ubesie said the group feared that the current state of insecurity in the region, particularly in Ebonyi, has displaced some members of some communities from their ancestral homes.
The President, however, said that the SCM, in line with its humanitarian response, would mobilize the necessary support for these displaced people.
“We also condemn the wave of kidnappings and banditry in the country, in particular, as it affects innocent and harmless students in our schools.
“We implore the federal government to do all it can to reduce the level of insecurity in the country,” she said.
Ubesie, who is the first woman president of the SCM, said her main goal is the evangelization and discipleship of students in secondary and higher education institutions across the country.
She said the group was formed in 1940 by the duo of the former prime minister of the late Eastern region, the late Dr Akanu Ibiam and a former secretary of the late Western region, the Chief Theophilus Ejiwumi.
“The SCM has affected the lives of men and women who have contributed immensely to the development and building of Christianity and Nigerian society,” she said.
She said the group also had a mandate to ensure a better future for young people by sponsoring skills training programs.
Ubesie said the group will soon launch the SCM Endowment Fund aimed at raising N1billion which would help meet the needs of the needy.
Earlier, the outgoing chairman of the group, Mr. Godwin Ogenyi, said that the SCM has, over the past 81 years of its existence, revived the moral standards of young Nigerians.
Ogenyi said that such people, who encountered SCM in their respective schools, stood out as shining examples in their chosen careers in promoting righteousness. (NOPE)
Short Link: https://wp.me/pcj2iU-3z3f
- Kalu salutes Ekweremadu at 59
- NECO: 115 inmates credit English, Maths in Enugu
- Infinix Releases Award Winning NOTE 10 Pro Series Powerful Performance. Iconic design
- Eid-el-fitr: Yahaya Bello calls for national integration
- Eid el-Fitr; Atiku wants Nigerians reflect on peace, unity
- Osinbajo graces Museveni’s inauguration in Kampala
- Managing mental health conditions among army officers
- Infant, two others die in gas explosion in Ogun
- Uzodimma dissolves cabinet, sacks 20 commissioners